Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2014, 11:27 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had the same issue when I replaced my OE Goodyear's with Yokohama's. It handled horribly. The dealer was useless when I complained to them so I contacted Yokohama directly. They were very nice and told me that this sort of thing does happen from time to time. They offered me a 85% refund (the tires had 3k miles on them already), but I was forced to return to the same lousy tire dealer. I replaced the Yokohama's with Michelin's and all is well now.

Do your new Continental's have the same tread design as your old one's? If not, this may be the issue. It doesn't make sense to me, as you should be able to run any tire you choose, but as Yokohama told me, it does happen. Good luck.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2014, 11:30 AM   #16

Tire/tread squirm - give em about 2000 miles.
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:19 PM   #17

Thanks for all the advise, opinions and support. Its been a while since I started this post and I didnt respond due to our extended stay. The front tires were very high. One was 105 lb and 1 was 95lb. I set them at 90lb and it was much better. Still not as nice as the old tires but tolerable. Regarding the old set, they had a similar tread pattern and still had a square edge to there deep tread. Wish I stepped up to the Goodyears or Michellins.
Thanks again, Marcdohc
marcdohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:14 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I would agree with the tread squirm idea. I have had that happen and after a few miles it settles down. I would also have a good look underneath and make sure they didnt bend or break anything underneath when they jacked it up. It happens!
Old 03-12-2014, 06:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcdohc View Post
...I had them set at 85 psi...
If you ran the old tires at 85 psi, why are you concerned about running these new tires at the same pressure? I don't understand...
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:43 PM   #20

I would be afraid that you dealt with a less than scrupulous dealer and the tires used could have had some issues. I would take it to an alignment shop and have them check for radial run out. With so much riding I would not be prone to cut corners on my rubber or deal with less than reputable businesses.
rufusfruge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:58 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Mark the 2 front with chalk or something at the valve stem, drive around the block with several stops to see if by chance, rather than using tire soap to mount them, they used grease and your wheels are rotating inside your tires. I had that done to me with a set on a work truck once.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:12 AM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnkinthebus View Post
Mark the 2 front with chalk or something at the valve stem, drive around the block with several stops to see if by chance, rather than using tire soap to mount them, they used grease and your wheels are rotating inside your tires. I had that done to me with a set on a work truck once.
Bummer, Just when you think you've heard of everything, this is a new one to me,

Whats next, Did you take it back or find a new shop?
tb
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:39 AM   #23

Commercial Member

A variety of comments here. We need to be sure we are not confusing "Handling" with Ride comfort or with the ability to go straight when the steering is pointed straight. Three different problems with three different "fixes".

Handling implies the response of the vehicle to steering input. This could be there is more delay between steering and the vehicle changing direction or it could be a "soft" feeling with the vehicle making small changes in direction when you are not changing the steering wheel.

Out of Round would result in poor ride comfort on smooth roads. This is similar to out of balance.

Alignment can affect steering and tire wear. The chalk on the tread trick is a simple & quick check, but not the final answer. The pictures in that post show the affect of inflation. While I did not show alignment in the post but if the chalk wore off the inner or outer shoulder only that would indicate probably mis-alignment.

Finally in addition to tread depth it is possible for different tires to provide different steering response but usually you would need a change in size or Load Range and a change in inflation for this to be the cause of the problem.

In the future if someone has a similar complaint it would help if information on the exact tires involved would help us when we try and provide answers.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:54 AM   #24

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcdohc View Post
Hello, Im looking for some advise. I have a 04 Coachmen Mirada 300qb with no slides on a 18k F53 chassis. It had Continental tires from the factory and performed fine. I installed a Blue ox rear track bar when I bought it back in 2010 to help performance and it was well worth it. Well I just had 6 new Continental HSR 225 70R 19.5 tires installed and man the things all over the road. The shop aired them up to 95 psi. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Simplify the whole process and just weigh each axle. Use the chart and then add 10psi over, for a cushion and for covering the variables, like changes in ambient temps. and weight imbalances. Any further discussions without first weighing the rig, loaded and ready to go with people allowances, as well, is a complete waste of time and much like chasing ghosts in a windstorm.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:28 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Bummer, Just when you think you've heard of everything, this is a new one to me,

Whats next, Did you take it back or find a new shop?
tb
New shop and Michelin stood behind it 100%. It was causing the tires to go out of balance and producing rough ride.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires