Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
New Tires Anyone?

I hope someone can point me in the right direction! I have recently purchased our 2003 Monaco Lapalma and have looked high and low for new tires. Unfortunately, I am finding the search quite the challenge. The original manufacture install was Michelin 235/80R 22.5's. I have been able to locate them locally at only a few locations and they will have to order them. Does anyone have any advice on my pending purchase as far as sales, discounts, or the best place to look. Thanks in advance.
DartmanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2012, 04:14 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are a member of FMCA, you might look into the Michelin Advantage Program.
gr8grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #3

Use the FMCA or Monaco International national account pricing program and they can tell you which dealers in your area you can choose from. They will ship in the tires and you pay Michelin direct. You have to pay the dealer for mounting, balancing and any other misc charges. The word is the the savings are pretty good.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DartmanK View Post
I hope someone can point me in the right direction! I have recently purchased our 2003 Monaco Lapalma and have looked high and low for new tires. Unfortunately, I am finding the search quite the challenge. The original manufacture install was Michelin 235/80R 22.5's. I have been able to locate them locally at only a few locations and they will have to order them. Does anyone have any advice on my pending purchase as far as sales, discounts, or the best place to look. Thanks in advance.
I put on Firestone f 560. They ride nice they cost 3600 for a set of 6. I priced the Bridgestone they were 900 more but we don't put that many miles on so I figured they would be replace in eight years. The Michelin were quoted at 5600. Thanks. Gary
Hortrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
That's one of the reasons I changed from the 235/80R 22.5 to 245/75R 22.5, many more options in this size. I purchased the Toyo M154's, not many miles on them yet but so far they ride nice. Also did the Dyna Beads in all 6 tires for balancing.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi DartmanK,
For Michelin the FMCA program is the way to go. They save me about $125/tire earlier this year. The FMCA web site has instructions on how to use the program.
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #7

DartmanK,

I second the recommendations of Toyo tires. I replaced the Michelins with same size Toyos and the savings for 6 tires out the door was $1000 less than the Michelins. After ~5000 miles on the tires I am very well satisfied. BTW I bead levelled all 6 tires.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:01 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Michelin Tires

Try Discount Tire, they can't mount them but I just bought six with FET and sales tax for less than the Michelin Advantage Program thru FMCA.
chuydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
First, let me thank all of you for your quick responses. I will surely look into FCMA and Monaco International. In regards to the other brands; the tires I am replacing are the dual drive tires, as the fronts are new Michelins and do not need replaced. So, my next question(s) are: Is it advisable to have different brands on front and back; Is it advisable to have different sizes (235/80R 22.5 on front / 245/75R 22.5 to rear) as suggested? And.......what is bead levelling? Thanks again in advance.
DartmanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #10

My apologies, I meant balancing not levelling. The tires sizes you listed are the same size tire. that shouldn't make a difference. I wouldn't think different brands would be a problem as long as you have the same brand on the front axle. I have seen folks running that way. Maybe someone with more knowledge will enlighten us all.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi DartmanK,
For me, I will not put a different brand or even tread design on the different axles. There are too many variables on how the tire is made, how the tread reacts to road conditions, etc. On dry pavement and 70 degree weather one may not notice a difference. However, traction and stopping in inclement weather I want all my tires reacting the same.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
First, let me thank all of you for your quick responses. I will surely look into FCMA and Monaco International. In regards to the other brands; the tires I am replacing are the dual drive tires, as the fronts are new Michelins and do not need replaced. So, my next question(s) are: Is it advisable to have different brands on front and back; Is it advisable to have different sizes (235/80R 22.5 on front / 245/75R 22.5 to rear) as suggested? And.......what is bead levelling? Thanks again in advance.
Bead Balancing;
Tire Balancing Products
As far a the different sizes and/or different manufactures, as long as the different sizes aren't on the same axle, it won't be an issue, have read of motorhome owners doing it all the time.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
I also have Toyo M154 245/75R 22.5 tires on my Tradewinds. I like the ride better than the Michelins that were on there before and at over a $1000 less for six it was a easy decision. It's been over two years now and they are doing fine. I had mine weight balanced.
Dick
Old 12-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tires

DartmanK,

If you want the Michelins and are an FMCA member, got to Michelin Automotive Tires: Car Tires, Truck Tires, SUV Tires and more to find the dealer nearest you. The 235/80R-22.5 will run just under $3,000 for six tires, mounted, stems, balancing and all appropriate(?) taxes.

You call Michelin, give them your FMCA number and expiration date and the number of the credit card you will use. Then call the local Michelin National Dealer listed on their site and make an appointment. The tires you will receive will be no older than 3-4 weeks. You pay the dealer direct for install and Michelin will bill your credit card directly.

Happy Trails!

Darryl
desobelman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires