Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2023, 10:43 PM   #29

i see your total posts and defer but...

Most of the posts i looked at were 2022, discount tires or mainly became brand specific with no current pricing.

i have another post, 30 days to get to oshkosh..... We are planning on about a month and a half to get to the air show in oshkosh and return. During that time period i think it would be wise for us to get some new tires.

Having said that one piece of advise i like is to buy from a brand that you can go to anywhere. so far i haven't been too successful in finding one.
Jrm7997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2023, 01:36 AM   #30

I'm not sure if I understand the statement "... buy from a brand that you can go to anywhere"

Can I guess that to mean to buy a brand that can be serviced anywhere? ...or do you mean bought anywhere?

If so, I would think that most, if not all, of the well-known commercial truck tire brands would be available across Canada and the U.S. I know you didn't want us to mention brand names but I know an independent over-the-road driver that I used to communicate with and drives essentially coast-to-coast across Canada, consistently bought Sumitomo tires for his semi at Kal Tire (mentioned at the beginning of the thread) that has shops across Canada.

Kal Tire carries most major brands of commercial truck tires such as Michelin, Bridgestone, Firestone, Toyo, Sumitomo, Yokohama, Sailun, and I'm sure others that are well-known brands in the trucking sector. Please don't jump on me for mentioning tire brands ...those are not necessarily my favorite or what I believe are "best tires" as you put it (although some are, such as Sumitomo, Yokohama, and Toyo that are among my favorites).

One thing I was thinking about as I read your posts is that if you are traveling from B.C. to Wisconsin, you might want to explore buying tires in Montana. But before I go on, I'm not sure of the ins-and-outs of Canadians purchasing tires and having them installed in the U.S. Are you obligated to pay sales taxes in U.S. states that have sales taxes? If so, you may want to consider buying tires and having them installed in Montana that has NO sales taxes.

My feeble recollection (I can't seem to remember much nowadays since reaching the "elderly" description) is that five U.S. states do not charge sales taxes at point of sale ...Oregon, Montana, Alaska, and a couple of east coat states, Delaware(?) and New Hampshire(?). For those of us in most U.S. states that have a sales tax, we are expected to pay "use tax" to the home state if purchasing something in a no-sales-tax state and bringing it back to our home state that charges sales tax. For example, if I purchased an expensive item in Oregon and bring it back to use in Washington state where we are currently residents, we would be expected to pay "use tax" at the sales tax rate for that purchase to WA state. Does everybody do that? ...not always but that is what the law says. Tires are a gray area but when we were full timers and had a Nevada domicile, we always purchased tires in Oregon and didn't feel guilty not paying Nevada use tax as we would not be using them in Nevada as we were full-timers moving around the country.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 07:18 AM   #31

6 Coopers $1000
Old 03-27-2023, 07:46 AM   #32

Theroc: Yes the op is obligated to pay heavy taxes when he comes to the Canadian border. 12% of the value in Canadian dollars. If he paid tax in the US he would also be paying that 12% on the US tax. He obviously has not done his homework or is perhaps planning on skirting the laws in Canada. The consequences of that could be terrible.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 08:34 PM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandiaMan View Post
We paid roughly $375 each for our Toyo 22.5' tires early 2022, a quick search shows they are still around the same price, maybe a few dollars more. When we purchased our current class A a couple of years ago, tires looked good with little wear and no sidewall cracking, in fact they were 10 years old and aged out. Private seller dropped price $5K and away we went driving our new to us rig back home to NM from blistering hot July TX heat. We did not hesitate to purchase the same Toyo M154 tires, after a decade of use they looked and drove well, our new set is delivering a very smooth and quiet ride as well.

Just went with 6 of these in Maryland. $4k installed. Toyo 265/75R22.5 to replace Michelin 255/80R22.5. Hoping they soften up a bit, but also running at 100psi (can take max 110psi). Tiffin recommends running 10psi below max. But I may drop it to 95psi to soften and smooth the ride out a bit. Certainly no harsher than the Michelins they replace and about $300 cheaper per tire where I am.
Alaxgoaly8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 10:45 PM   #34

Not true but…

Not true. As you come through the border you are asked to declare. We are allowed (it’s been a while but I’m pretty sure I’m right) $750 per person. In a lot of cases they will just wave you through. But, I always tell people to expect having to pay the taxes and feel good if they let you through.

We bought our MH in Phoenix and paid the taxes coming up. Unfortunately, I was on board but my wife wasn’t so only $750 was taken off. :(

QUOTE=moisheh;6456722]Theroc: Yes the op is obligated to pay heavy taxes when he comes to the Canadian border. 12% of the value in Canadian dollars. If he paid tax in the US he would also be paying that 12% on the US tax. He obviously has not done his homework or is perhaps planning on skirting the laws in Canada. The consequences of that could be terrible.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-27-2023, 10:48 PM   #35

I’ll keep this in mind

I’ll be asked to declare going home so if I only pay taxes into Canada it would be a bonus.

I think some states have a rebate/???? Where you can apply to get there tax money back because you don’t live in the state. Might be true from US state to state to.

QUOTE=theroc;6456557]I'm not sure if I understand the statement "... buy from a brand that you can go to anywhere"

Can I guess that to mean to buy a brand that can be serviced anywhere? ...or do you mean bought anywhere?

If so, I would think that most, if not all, of the well-known commercial truck tire brands would be available across Canada and the U.S. I know you didn't want us to mention brand names but I know an independent over-the-road driver that I used to communicate with and drives essentially coast-to-coast across Canada, consistently bought Sumitomo tires for his semi at Kal Tire (mentioned at the beginning of the thread) that has shops across Canada.

Kal Tire carries most major brands of commercial truck tires such as Michelin, Bridgestone, Firestone, Toyo, Sumitomo, Yokohama, Sailun, and I'm sure others that are well-known brands in the trucking sector. Please don't jump on me for mentioning tire brands ...those are not necessarily my favorite or what I believe are "best tires" as you put it (although some are, such as Sumitomo, Yokohama, and Toyo that are among my favorites).

One thing I was thinking about as I read your posts is that if you are traveling from B.C. to Wisconsin, you might want to explore buying tires in Montana. But before I go on, I'm not sure of the ins-and-outs of Canadians purchasing tires and having them installed in the U.S. Are you obligated to pay sales taxes in U.S. states that have sales taxes? If so, you may want to consider buying tires and having them installed in Montana that has NO sales taxes.

My feeble recollection (I can't seem to remember much nowadays since reaching the "elderly" description) is that five U.S. states do not charge sales taxes at point of sale ...Oregon, Montana, Alaska, and a couple of east coat states, Delaware(?) and New Hampshire(?). For those of us in most U.S. states that have a sales tax, we are expected to pay "use tax" to the home state if purchasing something in a no-sales-tax state and bringing it back to our home state that charges sales tax. For example, if I purchased an expensive item in Oregon and bring it back to use in Washington state where we are currently residents, we would be expected to pay "use tax" at the sales tax rate for that purchase to WA state. Does everybody do that? ...not always but that is what the law says. Tires are a gray area but when we were full timers and had a Nevada domicile, we always purchased tires in Oregon and didn't feel guilty not paying Nevada use tax as we would not be using them in Nevada as we were full-timers moving around the country.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-27-2023, 10:54 PM   #36

Really?

I feel …… dishonest? This is a real mean post. I am doing and have done a lot of homework. This OP was part of it. BTW it isnt $750 it’s now $800/person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Theroc: Yes the op is obligated to pay heavy taxes when he comes to the Canadian border. 12% of the value in Canadian dollars. If he paid tax in the US he would also be paying that 12% on the US tax. He obviously has not done his homework or is perhaps planning on skirting the laws in Canada. The consequences of that could be terrible.
Old 03-27-2023, 11:00 PM   #37

Incredible price

I’m thinking this must be a pre-pandemic price? If not where did you buy them? Impure someone on here will be thinking the same thing.

Thanks

QUOTE=cadillac_al;6456693]6 Coopers $1000[/QUOTE]
Old 03-27-2023, 11:38 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrm7997 View Post
I’ll be asked to declare going home so if I only pay taxes into Canada it would be a bonus.

I think some states have a rebate/???? Where you can apply to get there tax money back because you don’t live in the state. Might be true from US state to state to.
Yes, I believe it works that way for residents of those 5 states if they purchase goods in Washington state ...and that includes YOU assuming that you're a Canadian resident. However, you have to go through a lot of red tape to get the tax money back and also, from what I understand, it will not include 1) labor and installation charges, and 2) local sales taxes from city and county jurisdictions that are normally part of the point of sale taxes we pay in this state. You only can apply for a refund of the STATE portion of the sales tax (or 6.5% currently).

Let's say you bought tires in Seattle, for example, the point of sale, sales tax rate in Seattle proper is a whopping 10.25% of which 6.5% is the actual state of Washington portion of the sales tax rate. You'd only be eligible for a refund on the 6.5% portion of the cost of the tire itself and not the installation, labor, FET, disposal. or any other incidental charges or fees. And then, you'd still have to apply for a refund of that 6.5%. The sales tax rate in Bellingham, however, is 8.8% but again, not all of that is subject a refund as only the state portion (6.5%) would be refundable in certain circumstances. This is the way I understand it but I'm not positive I'm completely accurate or understanding it correctly. Others who know more than I do will correct me, I'm sure, and clarify where I'm wrong.

I'm not sure if Wisconsin has similar rules or opportunities to get a refund of their sales taxes or not. Not just Wisconsin but any other U.S. state that has sales taxes and that includes most U.S. states ...as remember, only 5 states do not have sales taxes.

So my point was simple. To avoid all that, buy tires in Montana (or Oregon) where they do NOT charge sales taxes, period, at the point of sale as they do not have a sales tax in those states. If you want to save some money and where you will not have to jump through a lot of hoops, I would think that you should consider purchasing in Montana on your way to or from Wisconsin.

If paying sales tax doesn't mean that much to you, then disregard. But when your are spending the amount you'd be spending on tires, you could possibly save, I would think, over $200 if buying the exact same tire assuming all things are equal ...i.e. you are paying the same price for the product, installation, incidentals, fees, etc., then wouldn't it make sense to buy tires in Montana (or Oregon or Alaska) where you don't have to lift a finger to save that $200+?

edited to add: I may have misspoken about British Columbia residents as it pertains to WA state. Looking at this document, it appears British Columbia is not listed ...plus, I'm just assuming that "auto parts" include tires? I don't know but perhaps somebody in the Vancouver B.C. area can clarify as I know many used to come into Washington state for various things:

Sales of auto parts to nonresidents

But again, if you buy in Montana (or Oregon) you won't have to worry about any of this.
Old 03-28-2023, 10:50 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
New tires. But…

Just curious but just how does Canada know you have new tires vs the old ones you left on? Read the code dates and require you to produce the US sales reciept ? Look at your bank statements ? Count your cash on hand going in and out?
I’m sure if I were Canadian I’d want to be supportive of all the Govt services and pay my due taxes, however I’m just curious about enforcement. Sure seems like it would be difficult to enforce. Wouldn’t that be a time tie up at the border ? The US folks might want some lessons .
Old 03-28-2023, 11:20 PM   #40

Sales tax

From my point of view, being a pacifist tax wise, I don’t apply to USA states for a tax refund as I’m not usually buying enough to make it worth the time.

I like the idea of buying in a tax free state. I’ll have to look into that. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
Yes, I believe it works that way for residents of those 5 states if they purchase goods in Washington state ...and that includes YOU assuming that you're a Canadian resident. However, you have to go through a lot of red tape to get the tax money back and also, from what I understand, it will not include 1) labor and installation charges, and 2) local sales taxes from city and county jurisdictions that are normally part of the point of sale taxes we pay in this state. You only can apply for a refund of the STATE portion of the sales tax (or 6.5% currently).

Let's say you bought tires in Seattle, for example, the point of sale, sales tax rate in Seattle proper is a whopping 10.25% of which 6.5% is the actual state of Washington portion of the sales tax rate. You'd only be eligible for a refund on the 6.5% portion of the cost of the tire itself and not the installation, labor, FET, disposal. or any other incidental charges or fees. And then, you'd still have to apply for a refund of that 6.5%. The sales tax rate in Bellingham, however, is 8.8% but again, not all of that is subject a refund as only the state portion (6.5%) would be refundable in certain circumstances. This is the way I understand it but I'm not positive I'm completely accurate or understanding it correctly. Others who know more than I do will correct me, I'm sure, and clarify where I'm wrong.

I'm not sure if Wisconsin has similar rules or opportunities to get a refund of their sales taxes or not. Not just Wisconsin but any other U.S. state that has sales taxes and that includes most U.S. states ...as remember, only 5 states do not have sales taxes.

So my point was simple. To avoid all that, buy tires in Montana (or Oregon) where they do NOT charge sales taxes, period, at the point of sale as they do not have a sales tax in those states. If you want to save some money and where you will not have to jump through a lot of hoops, I would think that you should consider purchasing in Montana on your way to or from Wisconsin.

If paying sales tax doesn't mean that much to you, then disregard. But when your are spending the amount you'd be spending on tires, you could possibly save, I would think, over $200 if buying the exact same tire assuming all things are equal ...i.e. you are paying the same price for the product, installation, incidentals, fees, etc., then wouldn't it make sense to buy tires in Montana (or Oregon or Alaska) where you don't have to lift a finger to save that $200+?

edited to add: I may have misspoken about British Columbia residents as it pertains to WA state. Looking at this document, it appears British Columbia is not listed ...plus, I'm just assuming that "auto parts" include tires? I don't know but perhaps somebody in the Vancouver B.C. area can clarify as I know many used to come into Washington state for various things:

Sales of auto parts to nonresidents

But again, if you buy in Montana (or Oregon) you won't have to worry about any of this.
Old 03-28-2023, 11:27 PM   #41

I think a lot of it …

I think a lot of it is honesty, we have an $800/ person tax free. Some people will have parts installed to hide the fact. Some install parts because of necessity. I think it comes down to the ability of the border guard to question and the honesty of the driver.

But we are getting off topic. I’m still not too sure if I should buy my tires up here or down there. The last $value was $1000 for coopers and I just can’t see it.

I’ve got a CDN contact for commercial tires. Before contacting them I was interested in costs down south.

I hope to see a few more “live” cost before I contact them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
Just curious but just how does Canada know you have new tires vs the old ones you left on? Read the code dates and require you to produce the US sales reciept ? Look at your bank statements ? Count your cash on hand going in and out?
I’m sure if I were Canadian I’d want to be supportive of all the Govt services and pay my due taxes, however I’m just curious about enforcement. Sure seems like it would be difficult to enforce. Wouldn’t that be a time tie up at the border ? The US folks might want some lessons .
Old 03-29-2023, 03:50 AM   #42

I can be 99.99% sure that you are not going to get Coopers anywhere in the U.S. from a legitimate retailer either online or brick-and-mortar commercial tire shop at six tires for $1,000.

First, cadillac_al did not state 1) what size tire was purchased for that price, 2) what model Cooper was purchased, 3) the location it was purchased at --i.e. where in the U.S. or Canada it was purchased, and 4) how long ago the purchase was made.

The Cooper tire I'm going to assume it was is a Roadmaster RM170. Can I guess the size you need is 245/70R19.5 ?

If so, just checking online at Amazon, the current U.S. price is just over $300 but that's for a load range H. That size, I believe, is also offered in a load range G and that would be a bit less money but no where near $167 per tire as Amazon usually has a pretty good price on tires when they sell themselves as they are in this case (it's not through another vendor but both sold and shipped by Amazon):

Cooper Roadmaster RM170 245/70R19.5 - load range H/16 ply rated - Amazon

Tags
tire, tires