Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2023, 10:41 PM   #43

Provinces with a sales tax of less than 3%?

BC definitely doesn’t make it. We are at 12% on everything.
Jrm7997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2023, 08:19 AM   #44

Cadillac Al: That price may be correct for a VW bug!!. Most Canadians will declare items. The consequences are just too great. How about seizure of your motorhome? Or have a back flag pop up on the border computers every time you cross. The OP would be eligible. for a $1600 Canadian deduction if 2 persons are on board. Although it is unlikely they would ask about your tires it does happen. A usual question at the border is: Did you have any repairs or modifications on your vehicles? They can ask for your phone and pull up your credit card info. Emergency repairs are duty free. Kal Tire is often overpriced. But you can find lots of independent dealers in BC. If you find a decent dealer in Canada the tires may be cheaper in Canada. FMCA has a discount plan for Canada.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 01:45 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
I can be 99.99% sure that you are not going to get Coopers anywhere in the U.S. from a legitimate retailer either online or brick-and-mortar commercial tire shop at six tires for $1,000.

First, cadillac_al did not state 1) what size tire was purchased for that price, 2) what model Cooper was purchased, 3) the location it was purchased at --i.e. where in the U.S. or Canada it was purchased, and 4) how long ago the purchase was made.

The Cooper tire I'm going to assume it was is a Roadmaster RM170. Can I guess the size you need is 245/70R19.5 ?

If so, just checking online at Amazon, the current U.S. price is just over $300 but that's for a load range H. That size, I believe, is also offered in a load range G and that would be a bit less money but no where near $167 per tire as Amazon usually has a pretty good price on tires when they sell themselves as they are in this case (it's not through another vendor but both sold and shipped by Amazon):

Cooper Roadmaster RM170 245/70R19.5 - load range H/16 ply rated - Amazon

I didn't mention the size because the OP didn't mention a size. Mine rides on the tired and true 235/85R16's. I went to my local Cooper dealer and got 6 new tires installed for $1000. I didn't think it was that cheap but I'm sure bigger tires will cost even more.
Old 03-30-2023, 07:58 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
I didn't mention the size because the OP didn't mention a size. Mine rides on the tired and true 235/85R16's. I went to my local Cooper dealer and got 6 new tires installed for $1000. I didn't think it was that cheap but I'm sure bigger tires will cost even more.
Yes, that is probably a Cooper Discoverer HT3?

If so, that is a LT tire typically used on pickups and might be able to be used on lighter Class C or Class A motorhomes.

A Cooper Discoverer HT3 in a LT235/85R16, right, might possibly have been able to be purchased and installed several years ago for $167 per tire in certain parts of the country.

Currently, the tire alone is $208.99 at Amazon (I'll use Amazon as I cited them in my previous post) but by the time you get them installed with fees and taxes, etc., I'm sure that $1,000 figure for 6 tires will be substantially higher than that.

Cooper Discoverer HT3 All-Season LT235/85R16

Again, not to blame either you or the OP, but we are almost comparing apples to oranges. It's not a good way to couch the opening post to a thread. I think a much better way would have been to ask for specific feedback on:

1. tire brand
2. model designation within the brand
3. size, including load range designation or other miscellaneous desired specs'
4. location
5. price
6. price of installation/mounting, disposal fees, and other miscellaneous fees and taxes.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 08:58 AM   #47

more info

First stop, now that I know I have to go to a Commercial tire shop, was Kal tire. I'm waiting for a reply from Firestone.

I'm rounding these prices off and each will need mounting, disposal fee, balancing and valves stems for a total of around $120/tire.

Sailun just under $400
Michelin MXE Just under $650
Firestone AT2 $570

My first thought about the Sailun are negative because of a lot of things. One of them is if i have to replace a tire on the road will i be able to? My brother-in-law pointed out that if i also replace my spare tire with a new Sailun I'd already have an extra. I was planning on just putting one of my old tires, the best being removed, onto my spare wheel.

So 6 tires
$5200 MXE (plus an extra $100ish to remount my spare tire)
$4400 AT2 (plus an extra $100ish to remount my spare tire)

And 7 Sailun tires, with my spare being a new too, approximately (i didn't ask for a quote on these at the time.)

$3200ish
Old 04-12-2023, 10:19 AM   #48
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrm7997
How about how much you paid for 6 new tires mounted and balanced and the brand?
Put your tire size into this site and you'll get a quote of the installed price, installed at your location, not a shop. They also will show you alternate sizes, if any, and multiple brands if that's possible.

https://www.motorhometires.com/

Ray
Old 04-12-2023, 10:41 PM   #49

Thanks NXR

Thanks it will be interesting to see what a USA installation would be worth. I was planning on calling a couple of tire places in the USA to see but this is a start.
Old 04-14-2023, 12:45 PM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Delaware is a long way from where you're going on your trip, but we are a no sales tax state, and I just received a quote yesterday, from a large regional truck tire chain. My tire size is 275 70R/22.5, and I am rolling Goodyear G670RV's for the last 15 years. Great tires; zero problems. But they, like Michelins, prices have gone very high. I would never buy Michelins anyway, for other reasons.

But, the quote I received was for both Sumitomo and Yokahama, in my tire size, mounted, balanced, disposal, out the door price.

Sumitomo - $575.00 per tire.
Yokohama - $645.00 per tire.

I haven't shopped around yet, and I think there are better prices out there. I am also open to buying Toyo, and maybe another brand, but not Cooper (even though I have the on my pickup truck). Cooper car and pickup truck tires are made in USA. Cooper truck sized tires are made in China. This information is correct as of yesterday, right from the Cooper tire distributor. Personal choice; I'm not going to buy tires made in China.

Back on topic; good luck and please let us know what you decide.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 02:58 PM   #51

"My first thought about the Sailun are negative because of a lot of things. One of them is if i have to replace a tire on the road will i be able to?"

Yes, you will be able to. Sailun is becoming very popular in the commercial truck sector. Any major commercial tire retailer should be able to get them no matter where you travel. It isn't like an obscure brand that may be difficult to find.

However, as many on this forum know, I personally will not buy a Sailun tire. This is a symbolic gesture on my part. I think even Canadians should be concerned along with those here in the U.S. about the growing potential that China will eventually become the dominant economic power in the world. We are NOT allowed to discuss politics/geopolitics here on the forum so I won't say much more but if anybody wants to question my decision not to consciously purchase a product where the small profit that's left over from the sale will ultimately end up in communist China, please PM me. If there's another alternative, I do not want to purchase a product produced by a company that's headquartered in the PRC.

Sailun commercial truck tires are high quality and have an extremely good reputation. They are made in a factory in Vietnam by a company that is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the parent company, Sailun Group Co. Ltd. located in Quingdao City in the PRC.

Just as I won't buy Michelin because of the high cost to purchase, I also won't buy Sailun because of my small and insignificant protest of supporting a company that is headquartered in communist China.

Nothing wrong at all with choosing to buy either Michilin or Sailun --both excellent products-- but it's just that I personally will not buy either.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 05:25 PM   #52

This week outside Orlando
6 Toyo M154 245/75R22.5
Mounted installed old recycled and balanced includes tax
$2946 USD
Old 04-14-2023, 10:52 PM   #53

Theron ….

I totally agree. Not much else to say but we are dealing in a totally new world.

Thanks for the words.

On edit not Theron . Try this again….

Theroc…….
Old 04-14-2023, 10:57 PM   #54

That’s about $3800 cdn. That’s a good price. I’m still waiting on a quote for the Toyos. It’ll be interesting to see how it compares (22.5 vs 19.5 vs cdn $….).

Tough comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
This week outside Orlando
6 Toyo M154 245/75R22.5
Mounted installed old recycled and balanced includes tax
$2946 USD

Tags
tire, tires