Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #1

new Tires or New RV?

We have been planning to purchase a "new to us" Class A in 3 years - 2016 to replace our 2006 Winnebago Aspect. Our plan was to check out the new RV's this year at Hershey show, and then decide what we would look to purchase used about 3 years from now.

However, the Aspect will need 4 new tires in the Spring of 2014. If Michelins are about $600 each, that's $2,400.

Should we just sell the Aspect and buy a new rig? We are looking at a Class A 30 to 32 feet, for vacation trips, not fulltiming. Prob something like the Winne Vista or Forest River FR3

Linda
taigarazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #2

Well...if you are just doing some light camping and the current tires even though older than 5 years are still good....I might replace only the front drive tires.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good recommendation - if you like your 06 Winnie and it is in known good shape, I would replace the front steering tires and keep it until the planned upgrade. That would be the 10 year mark on the drive rear tires. Keep an eye on them and use a TPMS - maybe put a Crossfire or Cat's Eye on the dualies.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
What size are those tires? I'm thinking $600 each is overstated. I'd expect a bit less than that for the 22.5s on our rig, but not the 19.5s you likely have? I'm thinking maybe $400 each, although that's still quite significant, and does come out the $2400 you estimated as a total.

I'd replace them now for both piece of mind and a slightly higher resale value later.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #5

Carolina Campers
Welcome!

As I am a retired banker, and since you don't really have a pressing reason to upgrade now, then wait.

I'd recommend that if you consider what the cost of the funds would be if you purchase the new RV now and had to hold a note over the next two to five years.. Then deduct the amount that you need to upgrade the tires (either two or four), and you could consider depreciation over that time. Then divide the difference into a monthly amount and put that money into savings (or an investment). You may find that you will have paid yourself enough into savings to either forgo holding a larger note when you do buy, or even being able to buy more then you would be able to afford today.

Just a thought.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by taigarazz View Post
We have been planning to purchase a "new to us" Class A in 3 years - 2016 to replace our 2006 Winnebago Aspect. Our plan was to check out the new RV's this year at Hershey show, and then decide what we would look to purchase used about 3 years from now.

However, the Aspect will need 4 new tires in the Spring of 2014. If Michelins are about $600 each, that's $2,400.

Should we just sell the Aspect and buy a new rig? We are looking at a Class A 30 to 32 feet, for vacation trips, not fulltiming. Prob something like the Winne Vista or Forest River FR3

Linda
Fully disclosing upfront that though I'm the World's Biggest Tightwad, even I won't scrimp where the rubber-meets-the-road:

Are these the original tires on the Aspect? If so, at seven years of age (or older-check the DOT date code) it would probably be prudent to replace them sooner rather than later. At the very least, an annual demounted, internal inspection is recommended after five years....do at least have this done at a facility whose opinion you respect.

FYI:
Dunno if this applies to RV's, but most shops will no longer put new tires on the front of a vehicle when less than a full set is purchased. Latest wisdom is that the newer tread belongs on the rears!
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
If you go for new Michelins be sure to join FMCA for $50 and get their Michelin advantage savings. You can save enough on one tire to pay for the membership depending on the size. We paid much less than $600 for 22.5s.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I like tedgard01 math. New tires after 5 years of adot code and wait. Everything may change in three years. I am always on the lookout for a good enough reason to but a newer Rv too!
garyswann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:24 AM   #9

Thank you for all your advice. A bit more info. According to the code, rear tires will be 6 years old March 2014. The two front tires will be 6 years old in 2016.

We do carry a note on the Aspect..

And yes we really only do weekends or trips of less than 2 weeks. Do folks think I can push these back 4 tires to 2016?
Linda
taigarazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:54 AM   #10

Carolina Campers
I would think that you would be better off taking them into a reputable tire store that deals in RV tires and have them examine the tires.

Some things to consider, regardless of the age, or the tread depth, is do the tires show any dry rot. Some times it is not the number of miles you drive, but how the tires have been exposed to the elements when setting there.

The rule of thumb is replace tires after five years old, but some people get 10 years. Again, the rubber will deteriorate over time, regardless of the miles, and that is largely dependent on how exposed to the outside weather, sun, water, dirt versus asphalt or concrete pad, etc.

It seems counterintuitive, but tires that are driven sometimes last longer than tires that simply sit there.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:05 AM   #11

Here is another thought for you to consider..... ROTATE the newer front tires to the inside rear and replace the front again. Always keep your best tires up front .....drive tires are your lifelines.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:03 AM   #12

RE: Aspect tires...

Linda,

If your '06 Aspect is anything like my '06 Cambria you only have 16" tires on the coach. I recently [last month] replaced all 6 of my dry-rotted OEM Michelins with new Firestones of the same size & made in the USA for ~$950.00. This is cheap insurance for your MH whether or not you plan to upgrade later....
zooom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:38 AM   #13

The Winnebago Aspect has 16.5 tires according to the Lichtsinn motors website. Those are available for <$200 ea. I would replace the tires, especially if the MH has been parked outside when stored.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:45 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
I would think that you would be better off taking them into a reputable tire store that deals in RV tires and have them examine the tires.

Some things to consider, regardless of the age, or the tread depth, is do the tires show any dry rot. Some times it is not the number of miles you drive, but how the tires have been exposed to the elements when setting there.

The rule of thumb is replace tires after five years old, but some people get 10 years. Again, the rubber will deteriorate over time, regardless of the miles, and that is largely dependent on how exposed to the outside weather, sun, water, dirt versus asphalt or concrete pad, etc.

It seems counterintuitive, but tires that are driven sometimes last longer than tires that simply sit there.
X 10...

One of the worst things in the world for tires is to sit around on an unused rig. Please do take them to a professional for demounted inspection, as recommended at five years of age by most tire makers.

I think this especially important since you got the rig used and you have no way of knowing how/if the tires have been used/abused. The condition of a tire can't be assessed from its outer appearance- most internal damage like that caused by excessive heat or striking a curb can only be detected by inspection of the inside of the tire.

And more often than not, it's that hidden damage that causes sudden "failures" while going down the road.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires