Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2021, 05:42 AM   #15

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by clhjsh View Post
I am having all 8 tires replace next Wednesday. I shopped all the local truck tire shops around including Les Schwab and they weren’t close to what I could get the Toyo M-144 tires for so the plan was to buy on line and take them to Schwab to mount. I had checked Motorhome Tires and they were $300 higher than the route I was headed but then I checked one last time and Motorhome Tires had reduced their pricing which made it a wash price wise so I ended up ordering from them. Now they will install the tires at my home and I don’t have to handle the tires (1090 Lbs worth) or drive my mh anywhere.
By the way they have been awesome to work with. I also was considering Hercules tires but Jeff told me that for every set of Hercules tires they sell they sell 25 sets of Toyo tires.
It's definitely worth shopping around. I'm glad it worked out for you. Home installation was definitely a draw for me but Jeff from Motorhome Tires wouldn't match the quote I got despite slogan on the website, "We will not be undersold."
SteveWoz-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2021, 05:48 AM   #16

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
I kind of agree with clhjsh that Motorhome Tires may "match" (or come close) to the package price they quoted if it can be proven that you can have the same product and services done elsewhere for a lower price. But do some research so you can back up the prices you are asking them to match.

Remember, there are other online options available other than through Amazon at the same price. Some vendors will provide you with a list of installers near your location. Some will even provide installation prices for those installations services so you can compare (Carid and SimpleTire come to mind, for instance but I believe other online tire vendors provide similar services).

Someone I talked to the other day said that using some other online vendors other than Amazon, gave him better personal service as he could call them and ask questions such as date codes, etc. I'm not sure if Amazon will give such mico-service or not.

Just doing a quick search, here are some other online vendors offering the 245/75R22.5 L for around that $314.72 price with free shipping.

CARiD

tires-easy

BBWheels

bestwheelsonline

SimpleTire

Obviously, it would be better to have them dropped shipped directly to the installer's location if having them installed off-site. Check and make arrangements with installer ahead of time it that's the case.

You also can have some places come to your location if you wish to have them installed in your driveway but you'd have to call and see what installers would charge for such a service and compare it with the quote you received from Motorhome Tires that had it incorporated into their pricing package to see if it's worth it to you. Who knows? You could still beat that price if you pieced it together on your own if the convenience of having it done without moving the rig is important to you and, again, you could at least attempt to have Motorhome Tires match the quotes you researched.

So let's say it's about (and I'm just guessing as I haven't priced commercial tire mounting recently) $300 - $500 range to have the tires mounted and installed and $400 --again, just guessing-- to have an installer come to you, you'd still beat the price that Motorhome Tires initially quoted you.

(Here's a price list for tire services at TA but I'm not sure how up-to-date it might be and what other charges might be incurred for the installation total ...they've listed $42.99 per tire to mount but I'm sure there will be added charges to that for miscellaneous stuff)
Great advice here. Thank you. I ended up going with a local dealer/installer for a bit more than I figure I'd pay for buying the tires online and having them installed. The dealer has great reviews, was very helpful on the phone, and I have no problem paying a bit more to support a small business. I know I got at least a decent deal because Motorhome Tires wouldn't match it.

Thanks again.

Steve
Old 03-22-2021, 06:21 AM   #17

Thanks, everyone. I've decided that I'm not getting screwed, even though the price I'm paying is a little more than that. I don't mind helping a local business as opposed to giving my money to a corporation.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWoz-CT View Post
Thanks, everyone. I've decided that I'm not getting screwed, even though the price I'm paying is a little more than that. I don't mind helping a local business as opposed to giving my money to a corporation.
I agree that keeping your purchase local is good for the community. My local commercial tire dealer has always been competitive with the online sources. Buying local keeps more money at home and service is the best.
Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 10:37 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by clhjsh View Post
I am having all 8 tires replace next Wednesday. I shopped all the local truck tire shops around including Les Schwab and they weren’t close to what I could get the Toyo M-144 tires for so the plan was to buy on line and take them to Schwab to mount.
Have you talked to Les Schwab about installing them? I asked my local store if they would install the shocks that I had bought online and they said that their policy was to NOT install anything they didn't sell - something about liability...
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 10:40 AM   #20

Wish we had a local commercial tire dealer like yours. I contacted numerous local dealers and even gave them the prices I was given and they could not or would not come close, over a $1000 difference.
clhjsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 03:57 AM   #21

Quote:

im in the market for new tires and also in CT.
what shop are you using?
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2020 Ford Escape Titanium Hybrid
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:35 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeD View Post
I just got new tires on our 2009 HR Neptune 37pbq. I ended up getting 6 Hankook AH37 255/70/22.5 tires. With everything out the door I paid $2680.
Same Hankook tires here, although I paid about $2900 out the door. They ride just as good as the Goodyear G670's coming off.

Take pictures of your alloy wheels before taking it up there, in case they scratch them up like mine!
Old 03-24-2021, 04:10 PM   #23

I got a quote yesterday from a local shop about 10 miles from my house. I dealt with them previously when purchasing OTR truck tires. Price includes 4 Sumitomo ST-719's in size 245/75x22.5 mounted, balanced, old tire disposal and all taxes came to $1323.74. That's within $100 of the best online price I could find and this way I can sit and watch someone else mount them for a change
Tom
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 04:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
im in the market for new tires and also in CT.
what shop are you using?
I got them yesterday at Oasis Truck Tire Service in Hartford. The experience was good; very friendly and knowledgeable. I paid $2610 out the door for 6 Toyo M154's. I only rode the RV home from the shop about 15 miles so I can't really tell yet how they ride.
Old 03-25-2021, 04:36 PM   #25

Thanks for the info. That sounds like a good price. I hope they serve you well.
Old 03-25-2021, 04:38 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCoTom View Post
I got a quote yesterday from a local shop about 10 miles from my house. I dealt with them previously when purchasing OTR truck tires. Price includes 4 Sumitomo ST-719's in size 245/75x22.5 mounted, balanced, old tire disposal and all taxes came to $1323.74. That's within $100 of the best online price I could find and this way I can sit and watch someone else mount them for a change
Tom
That sounds like a good price, although I don't know much about RV tires in general. I wish you many carefree miles on them.
Old 03-28-2021, 02:48 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
IMHO< The balancing beads can be problematic when checking tire pressure or inflating the tires. I have had on 2 occasions, beads, or parts of beads inhibit the valve stem from seating. Sometimes, it is as simple as removing and replacing the stem and re-inflate. I have had occasion where the internal threads stripped in the valve stem itself and i had to remove the tire to install a new complete stem through the rim. I ... personally ... will never run beads again.
BTux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 03:07 PM   #28

Quote:
A place called Motorhome Tires quoted me the price of $3128 for 6 new Toyo M154 tires to replace my Michelins. This price includes mobile installation in my driveway. Given that Amazon is selling the same tires for $314.72 a piece, 6 of them plus CT tax would be $2008, but I would have the hassle of bringing my rig somewhere to get them installed.

I guess I'm asking if I'm missing something or does it make sense for me to get them from Amazon and start looking for an installer? Thanks in advance for advice.
I purchased 6 new Michelin Tires ( 18 ply ) for my 08 Fleetwood Bounder less than a year ago from Gander RV. After Taxes, balancing and installation they were $3,850.00 out the door.
Redeemed1972 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
offer, tire, tires