Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2021, 11:01 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
New tires - please share thoughts on this offer:

A place called Motorhome Tires quoted me the price of $3128 for 6 new Toyo M154 tires to replace my Michelins. This price includes mobile installation in my driveway. Given that Amazon is selling the same tires for $314.72 a piece, 6 of them plus CT tax would be $2008, but I would have the hassle of bringing my rig somewhere to get them installed.

I guess I'm asking if I'm missing something or does it make sense for me to get them from Amazon and start looking for an installer? Thanks in advance for advice.
SteveWoz-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2021, 11:13 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Last month I bought 6 M154s (245/75R225) from my local Les Schwab store - total out-the-door cost was $2477 with mounting, balancing (beads), taxes, and fees - it took them about an hour to do the job. They had over 100 tires in their warehouse, and the date code I got was 4720 so they're pretty much fresh out of the factory.
Old 03-18-2021, 12:00 PM   #3

I have bought dozens of tires on line, saved a bundle. I always have MFG codes forwarded to me before ship and payment. Never had a problem, saved me a bunch of money. I have purchased trailer tires, pickup tires, my MH tires, corvette tires, etc. Never an issue. Just have to know an installer which isn't difficult. The installer I have, loves cash and makes it easy. Leave it for a day or two and he squeezes me in between jobs. He considers it bonus pay
Cigrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 02:13 PM   #4

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
Last month I bought 6 M154s (245/75R225) from my local Les Schwab store - total out-the-door cost was $2477 with mounting, balancing (beads), taxes, and fees - it took them about an hour to do the job. They had over 100 tires in their warehouse, and the date code I got was 4720 so they're pretty much fresh out of the factory.
Thanks for the reply and the inspiration, Alan. I called a local dealer and didn't get quite as good a deal as you but it's still a hell of a lot less than $3128.
Old 03-18-2021, 02:15 PM   #5

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigrocket View Post
I have bought dozens of tires on line, saved a bundle. I always have MFG codes forwarded to me before ship and payment. Never had a problem, saved me a bunch of money. I have purchased trailer tires, pickup tires, my MH tires, corvette tires, etc. Never an issue. Just have to know an installer which isn't difficult. The installer I have, loves cash and makes it easy. Leave it for a day or two and he squeezes me in between jobs. He considers it bonus pay
Very good advice! Thank you. I'm sure it won't be too difficult for me to find an installer.
Old 03-18-2021, 02:22 PM   #6

I am having all 8 tires replace next Wednesday. I shopped all the local truck tire shops around including Les Schwab and they weren’t close to what I could get the Toyo M-144 tires for so the plan was to buy on line and take them to Schwab to mount. I had checked Motorhome Tires and they were $300 higher than the route I was headed but then I checked one last time and Motorhome Tires had reduced their pricing which made it a wash price wise so I ended up ordering from them. Now they will install the tires at my home and I don’t have to handle the tires (1090 Lbs worth) or drive my mh anywhere.
By the way they have been awesome to work with. I also was considering Hercules tires but Jeff told me that for every set of Hercules tires they sell they sell 25 sets of Toyo tires.
clhjsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 03:57 PM   #7

I kind of agree with clhjsh that Motorhome Tires may "match" (or come close) to the package price they quoted if it can be proven that you can have the same product and services done elsewhere for a lower price. But do some research so you can back up the prices you are asking them to match.

Remember, there are other online options available other than through Amazon at the same price. Some vendors will provide you with a list of installers near your location. Some will even provide installation prices for those installations services so you can compare (Carid and SimpleTire come to mind, for instance but I believe other online tire vendors provide similar services).

Someone I talked to the other day said that using some other online vendors other than Amazon, gave him better personal service as he could call them and ask questions such as date codes, etc. I'm not sure if Amazon will give such mico-service or not.

Just doing a quick search, here are some other online vendors offering the 245/75R22.5 L for around that $314.72 price with free shipping.

CARiD

tires-easy

BBWheels

bestwheelsonline

SimpleTire

Obviously, it would be better to have them dropped shipped directly to the installer's location if having them installed off-site. Check and make arrangements with installer ahead of time it that's the case.

You also can have some places come to your location if you wish to have them installed in your driveway but you'd have to call and see what installers would charge for such a service and compare it with the quote you received from Motorhome Tires that had it incorporated into their pricing package to see if it's worth it to you. Who knows? You could still beat that price if you pieced it together on your own if the convenience of having it done without moving the rig is important to you and, again, you could at least attempt to have Motorhome Tires match the quotes you researched.

So let's say it's about (and I'm just guessing as I haven't priced commercial tire mounting recently) $300 - $500 range to have the tires mounted and installed and $400 --again, just guessing-- to have an installer come to you, you'd still beat the price that Motorhome Tires initially quoted you.

(Here's a price list for tire services at TA but I'm not sure how up-to-date it might be and what other charges might be incurred for the installation total ...they've listed $42.99 per tire to mount but I'm sure there will be added charges to that for miscellaneous stuff)
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 04:08 PM   #8

I am getting 8 M170 tires from MotorHomeTires.com..they will be installing when I pick up the coach next Friday.

12R22.5

Replacing 8 Michelin 315-80R22.5 3D XZE
jcdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 04:52 PM   #9

What size are your M154 tires, 245/75 are going to be less than 295/80.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 05:18 PM   #10

Just informational the mount/balance only quotes I received were $877 to come to me and $625 if I took the my to them. This is for 8 295-80r-22.5
clhjsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 05:50 PM   #11

I just got new tires on our 2009 HR Neptune 37pbq. I ended up getting 6 Hankook AH37 255/70/22.5 tires. With everything out the door I paid $2680.
JakeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 07:35 AM   #12

JakeD

I'm hearing good things about Hankook.

Ray
texasrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 05:34 PM   #13

Just had six Sumitomo’s 245x75x22.5 installed today with bead balancing. Just a tad over $2200. Replaced 6 year old Toyo’s which were going to run about $400 more. Figured Sumitomo’s should be fine.
Big O in AZ
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 08:22 PM   #14

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Toyo tires

I am about to replace 6 Goodyear tires and was wandering how you like your Toyo tires?
OhioAlpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
offer, tire, tires