Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2017, 01:03 PM   #43

I have a 39' FLEETWOOD EXCURSION on Freightliner chassis. Two tire dealers now state AH 12s being replaced with AH37s. Only AH12s available have DOT older dates. AH37s are 18 ply. 130 PSI. I think increasing PSI to 130 would lead to a harder ride and maybe more road noise. Currently have MICHELIN XRV. I was all set to go with AH12s. Now??? Anyone know anything about AH37s?
jerseylilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2017, 03:07 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
My AH-12s are 125 but I only have 115 in the front. Also check PSI rating of your rims. Mine are 120PSI max. So doesn't really matter what the tire is.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:19 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseylilly View Post
I have a 39' FLEETWOOD EXCURSION on Freightliner chassis. Two tire dealers now state AH 12s being replaced with AH37s. Only AH12s available have DOT older dates. AH37s are 18 ply. 130 PSI. I think increasing PSI to 130 would lead to a harder ride and maybe more road noise. Currently have MICHELIN XRV. I was all set to go with AH12s. Now??? Anyone know anything about AH37s?

What size are your current XRVs and what size are the AH12s & AH37s.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:35 PM   #46

Quote:
I bought new AH12's (255/75/22.5) for my dually Dec '16, They just couldn't get them to balance perfectly which is hard to do anyways on such a light vehicle. After a few months of taking it back several times my tire guy replaced them with AH37's and what a difference it made for me, they took a lot less weight to balance a ride considerably smoother.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:32 PM   #47

New Tires: Summary to Lesson Learned

Further information. 39' FLEETWOOD EXCURSION. Class A Diesel. Current tires MICHELIN 255/80R-22.5 XRV. Time to change out. Decided to go with HANKOOK AH12 275/70R-22.5. I feel confident AH12s will work, however, they seem to be replaced by the AH37s. Just hoping to receive info/experiences on AH37s. Appreciate input. Hadn't considered PSI ratings for the rims. Hummmmm? Where to find THAT information?
jerseylilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:07 AM   #48

Quote:
Further information. 39' FLEETWOOD EXCURSION. Class A Diesel. Current tires MICHELIN 255/80R-22.5 XRV. Time to change out. Decided to go with HANKOOK AH12 275/70R-22.5. I feel confident AH12s will work, however, they seem to be replaced by the AH37s. Just hoping to receive info/experiences on AH37s. Appreciate input. Hadn't considered PSI ratings for the rims. Hummmmm? Where to find THAT information?

The new Hankook AH37s were just introduced in the spring so there is no body of experience out there. All the tire company’s are designing tires that can be “Smartway”certified and that’s the reason for the AH37. It’s being marketed for “regional service” rather than “long haul” so they have more sidewall protection than a typical long haul tire. The AH12 is a regional service tire also.

The 275/70 will carry 800 pounds per tire more than the 255/80 so you can run less pressure in the AH37s to carry your load. Hankook has a good rep so I would not hesitate to go with them.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:04 PM   #49

Just recently took delivery of my 6 new AH37's. For the above mentioned reasons and that they are 18ply, I have great hopes for them. It didn't hurt that they were about $150 ea less per tire than the Michelin's they replaced. After they've had a workout I'll report on the results.
SlaterDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:17 AM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlaterDoc View Post
Just recently took delivery of my 6 new AH37's. For the above mentioned reasons and that they are 18ply, I have great hopes for them. It didn't hurt that they were about $150 ea less per tire than the Michelin's they replaced. After they've had a workout I'll report on the results.
Thanks for the update SlaterDoc. The only differences I can see between the AH12 and AH37 tires is the AH12 is 16 ply with an 8" tread width vs 18 ply with a 9" tread width for the AH37. While it's great to have the additional load capacity and sidewall strength of the 18 ply, I will be very interested to hear if the ride is too rough (I am assuming you will be running at a lower and properly calculated pressure). I thought it was a big deal going from the 14 ply Michelins to the 16 ply AH12's!

Please report back if you can in the future to let us know how the AH37's ride, thanks again!

PS: As the OP who started this post last year, I am happy to report the AH12's are still rolling great for us
PackerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:14 AM   #51

More info on Borg Dually valve stems

We have a 2012 Itasca Meridian with steel 22.5 wheels, simulators and plastic extension from the rear dual assumed to be identical to yours. Seriously considering the Borg Dually valve stems for installation during new tire installation. Unfortunately having difficulty finding much information or availability on-line. Have noted the website Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis which lists many valve stems. I realize that you undoubtedly invested many hours researching the correct part number for your and my application but wondered if you would be so kind as to list the part number. Also curious if the selected valve stem extended far enough past the simulator to relatively easily add air/check air pressure etc without removal of the simulator for both the inner and outer dual and the front tires. I believe that you said that you had flow-thru TPMS sensors which would extend the effective length of the valve stem slightly. I have Tire Minder TPMS sensors which must be removed from the valve stem to add air or check pressure with a tire gauge. Thank you.

2012 Itasca Meridian, 2012 Honda CRV, Blue Ox towbar, M&G Brake System
market is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:28 PM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by market View Post
We have a 2012 Itasca Meridian with steel 22.5 wheels, simulators and plastic extension from the rear dual assumed to be identical to yours. Seriously considering the Borg Dually valve stems for installation during new tire installation. Unfortunately having difficulty finding much information or availability on-line. Have noted the website Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis which lists many valve stems. I realize that you undoubtedly invested many hours researching the correct part number for your and my application but wondered if you would be so kind as to list the part number. Also curious if the selected valve stem extended far enough past the simulator to relatively easily add air/check air pressure etc without removal of the simulator for both the inner and outer dual and the front tires. I believe that you said that you had flow-thru TPMS sensors which would extend the effective length of the valve stem slightly. I have Tire Minder TPMS sensors which must be removed from the valve stem to add air or check pressure with a tire gauge. Thank you.

Hi Market: No problem, I have attached the following image of my receipt. In answer to your questions, I have the TST flow through system on my valves, so yes they do stick out more. This turns out to be a slight problem for access to the stem from the inner dually, as the TST unit forces it inside the simulator as shown in the next image. You have to unscrew it from the stem to add air, then delicately hold it in the right position to screw it on again - a bit of a pain. But, if you have all the TPS monitors off, these Borgs are perfect - yes you can access all 6 stems easily to add air. I have added 2 additional pictures (for a total of 4) to show how the outer dually and front tire stems look with the TST TPS units attached.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Borg.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	220644   Click image for larger version

Name:	RearInner.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	220645  

Click image for larger version

Name:	RearOutside.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	220646   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	220647  

Old 09-26-2018, 07:33 PM   #53

Quote:
We have a Seriously considering the Borg Dually valve stems for installation during new tire installation. Unfortunately having difficulty finding much information or availability on-line.

The easy thing to do it to call them. They have a knowledgeable staff and are happy to help. If you can find a stamp with the manufacturer name, width and other info to have available during the conversation it would be helpful.
SlowJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 05:28 PM   #54

Borg Dually Valve Stems

Dear Power Packer:
Thank you very much for the great information on your installation of DL4SSTC Borg Dually valve stems on steel/steel 22.5 wheels with simulators. It answered many of my questions. I was wondering if you would answer a couple more.
You seem to indicate that you had Borg units installed on all 6 wheels. However in going to Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis and talking to them directly, the DL4SSTC kit only contains stems for the 4 duals, the stem for the outer dual may not be the optimum for the front wheel and so the stems for the two front wheels need to be specified and ordered separately for which they have many options. Did you have the Borg valves installed in the front wheels and if so, do you recall the part number?
My research indicates that sometimes the inner dual wheel/tire combination with the longer valve stem can be difficult to process on a spin balance machine due to the shroud that encloses the wheel and tire during the spin balance process not being wide enough to accommodate the longer stem. Did you have your new tires spin balanced with the Borg valves stems and if so, was there any problem with the spin balance machine accommodating the longer valve stem?
Thank you.

2012 Itasca Meridian 34Y, 2012 Honda CRV, Blue Ox tow bar, M&G Engineering brake system, Tire Minder TPMS
market is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:35 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacique View Post
Anyone using 245-75R/22.5 Toyo M154. And what do you have to say

I have the M154 Toyo tires on my coach, a little bigger 265x75 22.5 tires. They have been on now for seven years and still look and ride great. Very good tires by Toyo.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 08:23 AM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Dear Power Packer:
Thank you very much for the great information on your installation of DL4SSTC Borg Dually valve stems on steel/steel 22.5 wheels with simulators. It answered many of my questions. I was wondering if you would answer a couple more.
You seem to indicate that you had Borg units installed on all 6 wheels. However in going to Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis and talking to them directly, the DL4SSTC kit only contains stems for the 4 duals, the stem for the outer dual may not be the optimum for the front wheel and so the stems for the two front wheels need to be specified and ordered separately for which they have many options. Did you have the Borg valves installed in the front wheels and if so, do you recall the part number?
My research indicates that sometimes the inner dual wheel/tire combination with the longer valve stem can be difficult to process on a spin balance machine due to the shroud that encloses the wheel and tire during the spin balance process not being wide enough to accommodate the longer stem. Did you have your new tires spin balanced with the Borg valves stems and if so, was there any problem with the spin balance machine accommodating the longer valve stem?
Thank you.

2012 Itasca Meridian 34Y, 2012 Honda CRV, Blue Ox tow bar, M&G Engineering brake system, Tire Minder TPMS
If I remember correctly, I went With the tire service managers advice for straight metal valve stems on the front. He also assured me they would be able to spin balance the tires with the Borg valves, although it would be a pain in the a$$

Tags
tires