Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2021, 07:20 PM   #43

^^^Yes. Motorhomes of Texas has a 2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP, for $189K.
Powerglide chassis
450hp
39’
4 slides
63K miles

Something like that may check off most of the boxes on the wish list.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2021, 08:13 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkbward View Post
So adding in countless hours of research, everything you all have provided and seeing several different brands, we have narrowed down our criteria:
  • 10K+ Towing
  • Must be diesel
  • At least 380HP with 1000-ish torque
  • King Size bed
  • One comfortable bed for an adult guest
  • Under 42 Feet (prefer under 40)
  • Residential Fridge - Stackable W/D
  • Theater Seating with the TV across (preferred)
  • Decent kitchen counter space
  • A dream would be to also have a place for my MTB(s) (starting to let this go)
  • Everything is tall enough for 6'6"
  • Preferably no more than 5-7 years old
  • Absolutely no more than $250k prefer 150-200
  • Quality that will make it so I am not constantly fixing something (occasionally fixing i understand is part of the deal)

I have probably just described the unicorn coach that the entire world is looking for.... Ugh - the joys of RV shopping...

Thanks for reading - I will update as the saga progresses - seems there will be much more to come and hopefully leave behind a helpful thread for the next person....

Brian
Years ago my wife asked for my input on the house we were looking for. I mentioned a flat driveway and no carport. I wanted to be able to put up a bball hoop. We ended up with a sloped drive and carport. It worked out and we've been in the house for 25 years.
Your priorities might change but might as well get as many as possible.

If MTB`S stands for mountain bikes than you must find a place. For us, we're probably going to sell our car to get a van or SUV that will hold minimally an ebike and one or two road bikes.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:27 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Fosback View Post

We found a 2005 36' with the 400 ISL, two slides and loaded for $62K

Rod
Where did you find that? I see a 2004 38' with 400 ISL for 70k. I can't find any others.
oceanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:42 PM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaDave View Post
Also puts you within reach of 2011+ top 3.

For example https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...QGP-5014504545

I bought my rig from them. Nice to deal with, among other things the owner's son is a tech, Aquahot certified. He put in a residential reefer for me for a really low price. They will pick you up from the airport, finesse the financing for you. Just great people.

Be advised, Duane can pick a coach, but he's not a diesel mechanic. Have somebody look it over. Trust me on this. If it passes oil analysis, take it down to cummins and spend the $1000 to really inspect it, if it passes THAT have them do the annual and buy it quick before somebody else does. Rebuild will run you about $55K; if you're not willing to choke that down, thorough inspection is money well spent.

Lots of tires on that thing, you don't want to replace em all at once so check your date codes, a good tire (Michelin, Toyo, Sumi, etc) should be good for 6 years if they aren't cracked or scuffed up. Don't accept off brand tires.

Tiffin won't work on it, but they will give you phone support. There are independents in Red Bay who used to work for Tiffin, who will work on older rigs like this.

My only problem is, that rig is too new for me. I personally found utility is going with an older, pre-DEF rig with a Freightliner chassis. You gotta think about those times you're broke down in Two Mules AZ and hoping the local mobile big-rig guy can bail you out, ya know?

I do like Cummins a lot but be advised, those engines are more fragile than you think. Make SURE you have it checked out.

That said. Dude! That rig is a *beast.* My daughter thinks I've lost my mind living aboard, but my Tiffin is nicer than any house I've ever lived in. By a wide margin.

I'm sure the same applies to Entegra and Newmar, just never looked because my wife is one of those Tiffin disciples, you know the type. Point being, with that kind of money in play you can get a *nice* rig. It's just gonna be harder than going down to your local CW, ya know?
I also bought my coach from CFRV and would recommend them without reservation. Great people to deal with!!
DandyDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:19 AM   #47

I totally agree on the fact that buying a MH is much harder than one thinks! So many things to check on. I just went through what you are experiencing now. Looked to upgrade from a 32 gas to a 36 diesel, I've spent the last two months looking. We traveled 10 hrs to look at one that the dealer said was in exellent shape and the pictures looked good as well until we actually saw it. Very disappointing.
Everyone has brought up great tips and one more I would add is checking old tires if the wear is normal, if not make sure front end is in good shape, an alignment is a must.
Good luck!
baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:42 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
Powerglide chassis
450hp
39’
4 slides
63K miles

That looks nice, but it doesn't even have an oven. I'm still trying to understand the world of RV's too. It seems crazy to me that something like this is $189k when I can get essentially the same thing for $40k (1999 American Eagle / 2004 Alpine). Especially when it will loose $100k in value over the next 5-6 years. Nice custom cabinets and furnishings don't cost $100k for such a small space. Just doesn't seem rational to me.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:23 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanos View Post
That looks nice, but it doesn't even have an oven. I'm still trying to understand the world of RV's too. It seems crazy to me that something like this is $189k when I can get essentially the same thing for $40k (1999 American Eagle / 2004 Alpine). Especially when it will loose $100k in value over the next 5-6 years. Nice custom cabinets and furnishings don't cost $100k for such a small space. Just doesn't seem rational to me.
The OP didn’t have an oven on the wish list. One could be added by removing drawers below the cooktop. It probably has a convection/microwave. Short of custom ordering a $2,000,000 coach, everything will be a compromise. Batteries, refrigerators, TV’s, etc can all be changed.

They’ll all depreciate. Buying an older unit, you’ll have less depreciation, but possibly higher maintenance costs than a new coach. Coaches that listed for $400K-750K, 10-15 years ago were built to a very high quality standard. Those units are available for less than the cost of a new, low priced, entry level DP. Not everyone is willing to buy a used or older model.

We opted to go with an older, quality unit. It was the right choice for us but may not be for others.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:12 AM   #50

Quote:
The OP didn’t have an oven on the wish list. One could be added by removing drawers below the cooktop. It probably has a convection/microwave. Short of custom ordering a $2,000,000 coach, everything will be a compromise. Batteries, refrigerators, TV’s, etc can all be changed.

They’ll all depreciate. Buying an older unit, you’ll have less depreciation, but possibly higher maintenance costs than a new coach. Coaches that listed for $400K-750K, 10-15 years ago were built to a very high quality standard. Those units are available for less than the cost of a new, low priced, entry level DP. Not everyone is willing to buy a used or older model.

We opted to go with an older, quality unit. It was the right choice for us but may not be for others.
Makes sense. Judging from our custom cabinets in our kitchen (same cabinet maker that made all the cabinets in Derek Jeter's / Tom Brady's home in Tampa) it makes more sense to me to purchase an older unit and replace all the interior (if desired) for less than 1/3rd the cost of the newer coaches.

Out of curiosity, what did you end up purchasing?
Old 02-04-2021, 10:12 AM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
OP’s 6’6” puts a new perspective on things. Even at only 6’4”, the 7’ ceilings in our “new” rig is a big improvement over the 6’7” ceiling in our 04 Dynasty. Only close place for me was at the sliding doors that are 2” lower because of the overhead tracks. OP would have to duck.
It used to be when you saw a tall MH coming at you, it was a big tag axle rig...not anymore as even gas rigs are much taller. The 7’ ceiling makes possible a ceiling fan over the bed which we use often, especially when boondocking with the windows open.

When it comes to turning radius IFS helps (greater wheel cut) but less so in recent years as the solid axles have increased theirs. A 42’ tag axle coach will have the same turning radius as a 39-40’ non tag rig...wheelbase is the same or even less.
I was surprised that going from 42’ to 45’ only increased the wheelbase 18” (half the length increase) BUT both ends have a greater overhang... have to put the nose even further over curbs in some turns.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:25 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanos View Post
Makes sense. Judging from our custom cabinets in our kitchen (same cabinet maker that made all the cabinets in Derek Jeter's / Tom Brady's home in Tampa) it makes more sense to me to purchase an older unit and replace all the interior (if desired) for less than 1/3rd the cost of the newer coaches.

Out of curiosity, what did you end up purchasing?
PM sent.
Old 02-04-2021, 01:30 PM   #53

Quote:
Powerglide chassis
450hp
39’
4 slides
63K miles

Nice rig. Great job with the layout, as always.

When did they start putting the fireplace/TV thing in the Phaeton? 2012, 2013? Bet he'd like that; also the athwartships head is nice, and you get a little more storage, every bit counts if you live aboard. But, that's 90% of the thing right there, and wow.

I love spending OPM. Wonder if we can get the bidding up to 250
TampaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 02:30 PM   #54

We found it at Guaranty in JC Oregon, they don't stay on lots for very long
Old 02-04-2021, 06:32 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaDave View Post
Nice rig. Great job with the layout, as always.

When did they start putting the fireplace/TV thing in the Phaeton? 2012, 2013? Bet he'd like that; also the athwartships head is nice, and you get a little more storage, every bit counts if you live aboard. But, that's 90% of the thing right there, and wow.

I love spending OPM. Wonder if we can get the bidding up to 250
I don’t know all things Tiffin. The Allegro Bus has an interior height of 6’ 11”. So another box checked off for the OP.
Old 02-05-2021, 09:25 AM   #56

Well - luck played a part and I stretched the budget.... and we are buying a coach.

We were all ready to begin negotiations with a few different out of state coaches when we found the dream coach at a local. Turns out the coach was sold and fell apart in financing and was just released after never really even being advertised.

2018 Tiffin Phaeton 40IH - we will not be buying another - this one is going to need to make do until we are dead. Got closer to the max budget, but managed to make it affordable enough to still be able to maintain it and put fuel in her....

This one checked all the boxes - my two big concerns - previous owners opted for the queen version, so that will have to be changed. the other is its the 380 HP version and not the 450 and no tag axle. What sold me is it is the 8.9L 380 and from what i have read so far, the 1000 feet of torque make it climb well. I also read it is possibly convertible to 450 since it is the 8.9L - maybe some-day?

Still no place for mountain bikes - i dont know if any industry people read these forums, but why on earth do you not accommodate bikes somehow in the basement. I know there is a chassis in there in the way, but it could EASILY be done on the sides with a little engineering...

There is a TON to do to prepare and I am real early in the learning curve. I hope to share that process with y'all to help others down the road - i can vaporize a few hours on the search here - it is an amazing resource.

Thanks everyone.

Brian
kkbward is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, class a