Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2010, 10:00 AM   #15

Hi guys,
There is a publication by JR Consumer that supposedly compares and rates all Class A motorhomes something like 2005-2010. I have ordered it but have not yet received so can't tell you whether it is useful. If you google JRConsumer I think you will get the website.
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2010, 08:45 AM   #16

Thank you, sir! I'll see what I can find about it. Would be very interested in your opinion after you get a chance to look at it.

Don
Donrickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:17 AM   #17

Don,
For what its worth, I started small (22' Flair) with a unit that was throwaway priced to see how we liked the life. A year later we traded up to a 2006, 32' Pursuit that is ten years newer. I had thought that we would likely move to a DP eventually, but the price, and floor plan, led me to the gasser (at well under half your budget).
That said, we're now perfectly happy with our MH (comfortable king bed, good size shower, and generally good care with selection of the things that count) and probably will stay with it for several more years.
Incidentally, you'll likely hear, as we did, the argument that if you move a lot, the diesel is more comfortable. That's probably true, but we've put over 20K miles on ours over the past 14 mos. and haven't suffered notably. Even with a lot of travelling, you still spend the vast majority of your time parked!
Ernie

Remember! Life is not a rehearsal!
Ernie n Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:31 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Whether its a Newmar or not here is a good link for info you may want.
Also information in Newmar forum on Motor homes.
Welcome to irv2.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 04:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";692693]Whether its a Newmar or not here [B][URL="http://changingears.com/index.shtml
is a good link[/URL][/B] for info you may want.
Also information in Newmar forum on Motor homes.
Welcome to irv2.
Thank you for the welcome and the link. Adding that to our research.

Don
Old 08-28-2010, 04:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie n Tara View Post
Don,
For what its worth, I started small (22' Flair) with a unit that was throwaway priced to see how we liked the life. A year later we traded up to a 2006, 32' Pursuit that is ten years newer. I had thought that we would likely move to a DP eventually, but the price, and floor plan, led me to the gasser (at well under half your budget).
That said, we're now perfectly happy with our MH (comfortable king bed, good size shower, and generally good care with selection of the things that count) and probably will stay with it for several more years.
Incidentally, you'll likely hear, as we did, the argument that if you move a lot, the diesel is more comfortable. That's probably true, but we've put over 20K miles on ours over the past 14 mos. and haven't suffered notably. Even with a lot of travelling, you still spend the vast majority of your time parked!
Ernie
Good point.

Don
Old 08-29-2010, 07:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donrickey View Post
I may consider the DP route, but not sure how much more I should budget for maintenance. Will add that into my research. Thanks.

Don
The one piece of advice I can give you, don't make the mistake I did, when we decided to buy a Motor Home we checked out the internet and dealers, found a real nice 33ft coachman it was in our price range, but it did not have any slides, the only reason we wanted a Motor home was to spend three months in it where it was warm, I knew we should get one with at least one slide, to make a long story short we got talked into this one, What a Mistake only had it one year traded it in for one with two slides, lost ten Thousand dollars. so make sure it has the room you need and don't over look the bath room more Motor homes get traded in for small bath rooms then any thing else. Good Luck wcombs34.
wcombs34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:30 PM   #22
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donrickey View Post
I may consider the DP route, but not sure how much more I should budget for maintenance.
I think you would find agreement among class A owners that the majority of maintenance on their rig is with systems other than the drive train. Having said that you will do oil changes more often on a gas rig vs. diesel. I.e. Cummins diesel is 15,000 miles vs. gas at 5,000 miles. You'll change it at least annually on either one. Chassis lube is annually on either one. Transmission service is not very often on either.
So, IMHO maintenance of gas vs. diesel power plant is near the same.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:44 PM   #23

donrickey - there actually is a book called "rving for dummies" and I plan on buying it, too! I am just starting out in my search for an RV and going FT.
CatWoman1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:46 PM   #24

Diesel In That Price Range

A Pace Arrow is a great high end gas coach. And if you plan to drive it to your destination and park for long stretches gas homes the same as diesel. But they don't motor the same as a DP. You can find many good DPs for the price range you are planning for. If it were me I would look at a whole bunch of coaches and TAKE YOUR TIME. If you take a few months or longer you will find your list of must haves and don't needs will change. There are significant differences in build quality. But the motors, transmissions, and generators are all basically from the same folks. Whatever coach you buy make sure you get full documentation when you buy it. Meaning full sets of operating instructions and electrical schematics and so on. Some coaches do not come with any of that. Stay away from those. Some makers mark are wires. Those are the good makers. In general you will be able to tell by looking at used ones if a coach is built well. Just look CAREFULLY. The hinges on basement storage. The cabinets should be screwed and glued and NOT just glued. Hard woods make a difference in how long something looks good. You get a huge discount for well made higher end coaches a couple of years older. I like those better than the later model cheaper ones.

I do not think diesel motors cost much more than gas to maintain. But diesel motors are far better motors for what you need in a motor home. Meaning lots of torque. Our motor home glides down the road like a silent magic carpet. No gas front motor coach will do that. IMHO orphans are fine. You get paid to take a risk by them costing less. And all major parts are from still in business suppliers. I have owned two orphans now and have had exactly zero issues with parts in 8 years.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:12 AM   #25

Bob,

That's some great info. I'm swinging more toward a DP with each bit of research I am doing. Hadn't considered a number of the great points you made. Want to try to compile a list of all these recommendations. Didn't catch what you meant by "Some makers mark are wires. Those are the good makers." Can you spell that one out for me?

Thank you, sir!

Don
Old 09-02-2010, 06:14 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup711 View Post
donrickey - there actually is a book called "rving for dummies" and I plan on buying it, too! I am just starting out in my search for an RV and going FT.
Sherri,

I was sure they had to have such a book. No luck finding it yet, but I'll sure post a review here if I can locate it.

Good luck with your research. I feel your pain!

Don
Old 09-02-2010, 06:25 AM   #27

Don -

It is at Barnes & Noble. Amazon, too, I think. I am sure it has very basic info, but that might be good. I plan on buying quite a few books (already have Living Aboard your RV by Janet and Gordon Groene - buy it!!!)

I have started a spreadsheet (literall!!) of my "must-haves, needs, and wants." I have also sought advice in every rv website forum I can find and have now narrowed my decision down to four, maybe five, manufacturers. The plan is to take that spreadsheet shopping with me - the RV with the most checks will be the one I get!
CatWoman1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #28

Don - sorry about the typing and too short thoughts. Sometimes in the evening my brain starts to shut down. What I meant was this about the marking of wires. Some makers of motor homes do a very good job of marking their wiring. That way when a repair is needed the tech can find the proper wire quickly and easily. And some makers do not do a good job. I personally own a Country Coach. They did a very good job marking the wires and also provide a huge book with electrical drawings. When you look for a motor home ask to see documents. As far as if the wires are marked. Look in the elctrical compartments and see if the wires are marked. All of mine are. This stuff costs money for the maker to do but pays off in the long run for the owner.

If you are looking for books and materials I would recommend joining the RVCG RV consumer group. They sell books and disks that have almost all the RVs made for the last 20 years.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote