Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2010, 03:58 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to mrjabby
New to leveling

Just got a 2004 Allegro Bay 37' coach and wondering about leveling: I think I got it down (pun on word) in leveling but when the ground is wet or soft, do you have to adjust, if sinking ocures? If so do you start from the beginning and is it required to bring in the slides as well? newbee!!!!
mrjabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2010, 04:12 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
We always use jack pads on any surface other than concrete. On particularly soft ground you may have to add additional/longer pieces of lumber to get and stay level. I have had to dig the pads out of the ground a few times, but they do better than the leveler feet would by themselves. A couple of years ago one of our jack pads literally exploded into pieces when the ground under it gave way unevenly.

How to adjust after settling depends on the leveling system. We have an HWH automatic system. If settling has occurred over time all we have to do is to re-initiate the leveling sequence (press "LEVEL" twice) and the system will make any required adjustments.

Whether or not I would bring the slides in would depend on how much adjustment is required, and how uneven the ground is. It quite uneven, and I was going to totally start over, I would bring the slides in.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:41 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You want to use something under the jacks on soft ground. We have 8 pieces of treated 4"x6" wood that we use and have worked well for us. Any other kind of flat and strong surface will do.

The last thing you want are the jacks sinking in and potentially pulling the MH down when you try to retract (a true story from another RVer...they got stuck in mud and had to get towed out).

Nina
Old 12-20-2010, 06:32 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Agree on the jack pads. One of my first projects when I bought the bus was to make 6 jack pads. Each one is 16" square, 3 layers of 3/4" plywood glued then screwed together with 1 5/8" drywall screws. I made six, so I can do a double stack if the ground is low on one end or side. Check my math, but I think they came out of one sheet of plywood.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:53 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
leveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
Agree on the jack pads. One of my first projects when I bought the bus was to make 6 jack pads. Each one is 16" square, 3 layers of 3/4" plywood glued then screwed together with 1 5/8" drywall screws. I made six, so I can do a double stack if the ground is low on one end or side. Check my math, but I think they came out of one sheet of plywood.
If auto leveling how do you get the pads under the jacks before they hit the ground.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:29 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jack pads are a must. The last thing you want to do is not use them and pull mud up that would get on top of your jack feet and get it forced into your jack seals. Once the seals get dirt in them they will leak. A seal replacement will be next. That runs around $200 per jack to take care of.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:40 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
As everyone says use pads. Even after that you may still have some settling and need to re level. I just hit the retract button then when the coach starts to drop I turn off the key then turn it back on and hit auto to get it to re level.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:42 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikron View Post
If auto leveling how do you get the pads under the jacks before they hit the ground.
Just shove them under before leveling. They don't have to be perfect just under the jack foot.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:52 PM   #9

Driving in the NW where it rains a lot, I have found that if I'm on soft ground I drive up on some 2X6's for my tires and also use jack pads, which can be store bought,yellow bricks, red flat pads or just a couple more 2X6's I like the wood, as it slides into the rear basement compartment on some cardboard to keep the bin clean if they are wet,(again in the NW)
also in the NW there are more area's that have slopes, so driving up onto the 2X6 help a quick level from steep slops as found in the NW.
mercedesme2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:47 AM   #10

Instead of 2x s I made some wedges from an oak tree i cut down . They are 24" long and taper from 1" to 6". I place them in front of the tires on the low side and drive up till the level shows good.Jf I need more I place them on 2xs first.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:44 AM   #11

Ok now from a lazy perspective, I almost never use pads. Most campgrounds have a good base and the only time one of my jacks sank (sunk?) was when I moved the coach over to far to one side to gain some patio space hence putting one jack over soft grass. Found my self a piece of wood at the campground, raised the rear jacks and placed wood under that one jack.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:39 AM   #12

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I always use Jack Pads. On dirt or gravel to prevent sinking/sticking. On Asphalt or Concrete to protect the surfaces from the M/H weight that could cause indents in hot weather or cracking. Mine are made of plywood.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:20 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
In freezing temps, your jack pad feet can freeze to the ground if there is any moisture there, or to other surfaces when wet. Using pads prevents that from happening.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:38 PM   #14

Large Jack Pads.
ColonelA is offline   Reply With Quote