Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2021, 10:25 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
New to me coach

Hi Folks,I have just started looking for a used coach. I am leaning towards either an Allegro bus or Entegra, possibly a Newmar depending what i might come across. Somewhere in the 2012 to around 2018,
My question is this,I have no experience with any of these and would greatly appreciate any insight on which of these might be "better" or any years to avoid etc.
Thank you for your advce,I sincerely appreciate your assistance!
PeteV
hdserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2021, 10:43 AM   #2

You mentioned some solid brands, so I'm sure actual owners will chime in with their experiences.

Other than the house part of the coach, which is fundamental in your search, the main thing with these diesels, especially from the dates you mentioned, is the DEF/SCR issues. Long threads about this in the forum.

This thread may give you a good start reading material about it:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/whi...om-501656.html

Good luck!
Old 10-16-2021, 11:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdserider View Post
Hi Folks,I have just started looking for a used coach. I am leaning towards either an Allegro bus or Entegra, possibly a Newmar depending what i might come across. Somewhere in the 2012 to around 2018,
My question is this,I have no experience with any of these and would greatly appreciate any insight on which of these might be "better" or any years to avoid etc.
Thank you for your advce,I sincerely appreciate your assistance!
PeteV
I bought a new 2016 model year Entegra Aspire, which was their "entry level" model back then. It was a great coach, and Entegra's 2 year warranty took care of the few issues we had with the coach. It was on a Spartan K-2 chassis with 450 HP Cummins, and was a lot of bang for the bucks.

All that said, I would not be as enthusiastic about the coaches EC built in earlier years because EC was a relatively new brand (owned by Jayco) . They made giant strides each year in quality and added luxury from their early models. Tiffin and Newmar were already GOOD coaches when EC was just getting started, and so I think I would look at those made during the years I would not consider for an EC, around 2010-2014.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 03:43 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
All those brands have accolades for build quality. However that being said all of these machines do and will have quality control issues from time to time, and any brand will most certainly see things fail (ie roof seals,window seals, batteries, leving systems, appliances, slide out systems ect. to name a few. It Would be a good idea to have your coach inspected by a qualified RV inspector and have the drivetrain checked out by an independent Diesel mechanic. Personally have heard that Spartan has had more issues with Def sensors than Freightliner, however could be an issue with either. I'd recommend Picking the Coach with the best floor plan for you, and then go from there, most will have very low mileage at the age your looking. Happy hunting!
Old 10-16-2021, 03:48 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
All three are good choices, could come down to floor plan and or condition.
Old 10-16-2021, 07:48 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bylandorsea View Post
All three are good choices, could come down to floor plan and or condition.
I agree. I depends on what floor plan, accessories are right for you. All will be a good coach for you.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 08:39 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Thank you all for your comments,there is nothing like experience ! I appreciate your insight.
Thanks Pete V
hdserider is offline   Reply With Quote