Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2012, 06:58 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
New to RVing

Please post here any positive or negative experience you may have encountered during RVing traveling. Going full time in less than 12 months and would like to hear your experience. Looking at the Winnebago Journey 40U, really like the floor plan and most important my wife likes it too. Other questions: Gas or Diesel? Class A or 5th wheel? 30'+ or 40'+ Insurance? RV Clubs, which one? I'll stop here because I have so many questions but you all get the point on where am going with this.
Hector1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #2

Floorplan is the key...I wanted a diesal rig but the one with the floorplan we liked was gas...we are very happy with our purchase.
fuel will be expensive part of RVing so either one will work well
lt6215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt6215 View Post
Floorplan is the key...I wanted a diesal rig but the one with the floorplan we liked was gas...we are very happy with our purchase.
fuel will be expensive part of RVing so either one will work well
X2 on the floor plan! We also didn't find a diesel floor plan in our budget to meet our needs. In fact, we didn't find any other coach that met our needs to have room for our GSD dog crates so we stumbled into a great coach on a W24 workhorse chassis.

I might offer a slightly different opinion about what is the most expensive thing about MHs. While fuel is not a minor issue, aside from purchase costs, initial maintenance and set up costs can be shocking if you aren't accustomed to them. Certainly, if you are handy then you can contain some of them.

So far fuel for my gasser is NOT my most expensive cost category. Depending on the condition of your purchase there may be a lot of costs in bringing it up to your desired standards. We opted to have the rig thoroughly re-inspected after the purchase and that opened up a few new issues. New rear shocks, replaced rear leveler pads and springs, replaced serpentine belt, new chassis battery were a few unplanned items. We knew new tires and installation of a hard wired surge/EMS protector where going to be needed.

Now, I am first to admit I am a bit picky and perhaps others might not have made a few of the decisions I have. However, I did prioritize my upgrades to safety and protecting my investment. We still haven't added a toad and towing accessories. We also plan to add some handling upgrades like sway bars and steering assist but we will stage them in as we can since they aren't needed to correct any critical safety issues.

Its an adventure in our 06 Adventurer!

edit...I forgot to mention that during the initial set up finding just the right garbage cans was a mission only my DW could appreciate. LOL OTOH...adding tools, chairs, bedding and things that you don't want to transfer from home all the time does add up. Then there is the air compressor...(it might not EVER end!) Have I scared you yet?
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I have been a “full timer” for only two years now and It seems I have already covered the spectrum. Roadside RV parks for quick overnighters… Wal-Mart parking lots… Florida resorts… … National Parks… Boondocking at remote lakesides… Even my brothers driveway. I love it all and try not to wear out my welcome or my bank account. So far, so good, and so far I’ve driven from Washington State to Key West, Florida and back. I love waking up and not remembering where I am…. I love trying to figure out why “it” doesn’t work ”…(and “it” can be anything)… I love the vibration the diesel engine makes…I love watching the sun break the horizon in front of me on the interstate. I love blue highway signs that say “REST STOP 1 MILE” and brown signs that read “MYSTERY CAVERNS NEXT EXIT”. I love conversations that start with “Where ya gonna’ winter?”… I love not being able to answer the question “Where ya from?” “MY “TOAD” is a Jeep CJ5 4x4 with Kayak on top, mountain bike and raod bike hanging on the back. I love livin’ the dream. I know you will too. One bit of advice “Coach Net” roadside service thru FMCA.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:34 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you for all your comments, please keep it coming. The more the better for me and my wife. When we buy this MH I want to be prepared and would like to know as much as I can. The best learning tool is the knowledge of other that are there and living it. Thanks guys!!
Hector1959 is offline   Reply With Quote