Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2015, 08:01 PM   #43

Yellowboat - Do you feel the modifications you made to the chassis for handling made a substantial difference in handling? Would you be confident in running your coach through the mountains not Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, etc.? I posted above asking original poster about his trade in of gasser to DP. Truthfully, we can't do a DP, and would like to do our own maintenance. However, after our experience this summer with the handling of our motorhome, we are contemplating selling and nixing our dream trip in the name of safety. We've read great reviews on handling fixes and some that say it didn't make much difference. Just not sure if we should throw $3 k at the problem and hope it fixes the stability and handling.
LovetheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2015, 09:03 PM   #44

Triple E Owners Club
New to RV's, do all RV's handle terribly?

I have a 1999 Triple E Commander f53 34.5 ft.

A previous owner installed front and rear airbags. I purchased it last spring. I have done the chf, rear track bar, new rear sway bar bushings and front monroe shocks. It has cost me about $250 to do all the above and I think it drives great. I have had it through the mountains twice ( Jasper, Banff, Canmore).

I wish I had the horsepower of the newer ones but I am very happy with what I have. Gassers can drive well (with a little help) without breaking the bank.

I do think the wheel base and rear overhang make a big difference. Mine seems to have a good balance.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:08 AM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
New to RV's, do all RV's handle terribly?

"... New to RVs, do all RVs handle terribly?..."

No, they all don't. Only if you buy a poorly designed or worn out one.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, 3126, '04 Element
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 12:23 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
No, it is NOT torque that gets you up a hill. It is HORSEPOWER.

Diesels make lots of torque at low RPM because that's the nature of a large Diesel engine. But a 362 HP V-10 Ford will get a coach up a grade just as fast as a 360 HP diesel, provided they weigh the same, of course. The difference is that the gas engine has to spin at 4,000 RPM to make that HP while the diesel does it at 2,000 RPM.

If the RPM is lower but the HP is the same, the torque of the diesel has to be higher in order to make that same HP at a lower RPM. But HP is HP no matter what kind of engine makes it.

2006 Mandalay 40E, Cummins ISL 400 HP
Didn't we discuss this a while back with locomotive engines as an example?
3000 HP at 900 RPM and 17,000+ torque?
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:15 AM   #47

Talking

Thanks TeJay appreciate it. I have learned a great deal from this forum. The knowledge base is incredible and I enjoy the reading. Thanks to all.
vstanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:40 AM   #48

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
vstanz,
Well stated. If you every have issues with the unit that needs some answers or directions a bit over your comfort level you know where you can get some assistance. Please don't hesitate to ask. There's a world of talent, knowledge and a big willingness to help on these forums.

My Sisters second husband was a Cop/Detective from Long Island long before she met him. He passed away a few years ago but i saw pictures St Pat's parades and other events from his time on the force.

Dennis Dean, I'm very jealous of you and YB. You've got the new Ford 6-speed transmission. Maybe you won't need the 5-Star TUNE.

TeJay
LOL @ TeJay, Well I would like to say thanks but unfortunately I do have the new 2016 Bounder but the Chassis is the 2015 Ford F53 (as I learned on this forum from my VIN# I can tell the chassis year :O) I did buy the 5 star tune as well so with all my chassis mods - Roadmaster rear sway 1139-143, front 1139-140, RSSA roadmaster steering stabilizer, 5 star tune - total parts cost = approx. $2000. The 5 star is fantastic and I would recommend it to anyone not already running it on the V-10, The sway and steering I pick up from the shop on Saturday but am very excited to feel the new ride. Here is a link for a video of the WYNN's they just completed the mods(minus the 5 star tuner) and you can see the stability on the exact same coach as mine.
Gas RV Stabilizers ? Do they Really Work

I still believe the 2K I spend on improving my brand new coach is well worth every penny and still far less than any new DP I could have purchased. I am sure I could have gotten a older DP in great shape and low mileage for what I have bought and put into my Bounder , but older RV's are limited in financing options and insurance/warranty. I wanted a new coach with all new electric's and power management system with the 2000 watt pure sine Inverter. I also just love the interior layout on my bounder with the bath and a half.
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:44 AM   #49

Country Coach Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
[QUOTE=hadalgo;2782347]Over the weekend our family went to Tennessee, we rented a 2001 fleetwood bounder that was 37ft long with a triton v10. Driving it seemed like it was grossly over weight and very under powered. It rolled and swayed terribly and couldnt maintain highway speeds up most hills, not to mention mountains. Wind and Semi trucks blew the thing all over the road also.

I am VERY interested in purchasing an RV and would like to know if there will be a night and day difference between a 2002-2007 larger tag axle diesel pusher. I have been looking at possibly a beaver/monaco 42ft with a cummins ism or cat c12.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, they don't all handle that way. I have a 2000 Country Coach DP with independent front suspension that is steady as a big ship in calm waters. I love driving it, feels like I am floating down the highway. Find yourself a quality built DP with IFS and you will see a significant difference in handling.

Ray
2000 Country Coach Intrigue
Old 10-16-2015, 12:24 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovetheUSA View Post
We have the same road wander issue along with tail wag on our 2014 Newmar Bay Star 2903.We purchased new in January, took a trip from FL to NC to NY in June, wandered, but my husband handled. We drove across I-90 in September from NY to Lake Erie, PA and I was afraid for my life, wind was about 15-18mph and the darn thing was like a boat at sea. I wouldn't get up either! From there we went south west to South Bend, not bad, still some wander, but manageable. Next to NASHVILLE, all good. Last leg was from Nashville to Murphy, NC where we store at our mountain cabin. We took I-40 then I-75 to the back roads through the Cumberland Gap. These mountain roads are curvy and some grades but nothing like we planned to do next summer - three months from NC to Black Hills SD, Montana, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Lake Mead, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Breckenridge, etc. I'm now dead set against it. The trip through Smokies was hell, constant road wander several times into rumble strips to the point my hubby thought coach was going to lay down on its side as he couldn't get control back fast enough,. He has driven NYC buses, fire trucks as a vollie, large construction trucks, police vehicles, has had much training in all of these and he says nothing he has ever driven was as unstable as this coach. I want to sell it, I'm wondering how bad of a hit you took on trading your 2015 gasser in for a 2015 DP, was it heart stopping? We are looking at many options, but for me - one is NOT keeping THIS motorhome, I am not at all comfortable riding in it, especially after hearing my normally very confident, good driver hubby voice his concerns. We have double checked tire pressure, weight distribution, carry no water or waste in tanks, still handling is terrible. This was our dream for many years, now it is my nightmare.
I can imagine your disappointment with this rig. I just don't understand how it can be as bad as you say it is. Perhaps you need to load it up, water, fuel and everything else you can carry along and see if it changes the ride any. I can understand some wondering in winds, etc. but I do not experience anything like you are describing.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:23 PM   #51

bounder

I think it all comes down to you get what you pay for.

im glad to see all the responses, I really want a prevost, bluebird or newell with atleast 2 slides but I dont have 200k+ for one, yet.

Anyone else have any concerns about the build quality if you were to get in an accident?

Pretty much all the "cheaper" motorhomes are not built to withstand any wreck, a simple roll over at 5mph totals it. A prevost or bluebird are all metal buses with no wood or fiberglass used for siding or roof materials. Water is also a concern when it comes to a cheaper RV, any water entering in from a leak is going to really cause problems and probably the worse one, delamination of the siding. I dont know what anyone was thinking bonding fiberglass to such a crappy cheap material like lauan plywood.

It would be nice if there was a coach company that built affordable "safe" motorhomes!
hadalgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 02:58 PM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovetheUSA View Post
We have the same road wander issue along with tail wag on our 2014 Newmar Bay Star 2903......the darn thing was like a boat at sea......We have double checked tire pressure, weight distribution, carry no water or waste in tanks, still handling is terrible. This was our dream for many years, now it is my nightmare.

Love USA..... Sorry you're having these troubles, but there are an awful lot of folks with the F53 chassis in similar straights. It's gotten to the point where many people go ahead and buy a MH with this chassis, and then consider it normal and acceptable when they have to go out and spend several hundred or thousands of dollars on handling "improvements" just to make it tolerable.

I'm surprised yours is so bad, because your Baystar has a Wheelbase/Length ratio of 53%, which ought to give you acceptable handling-- not stellar, but acceptable. But I do notice that in your floor plan the bedroom is far aft. If, like many folks when traveling, you're in the habit of piling a lot of stuff on the bed so it won't slide around, all that weight is aft of your rear wheels, and will tend to lift weight OFF of the front wheels, and in so doing seriously degrade the front wheels' hold on the road and steering response. If I had to travel in that coach, I would not put much stuff at all on the bed, but somehow store it forward of the rear wheels. Also, if your fuel, water, and sewage tanks are forward of the rear wheels you should try traveling with full fuel, full fresh water tank, and maybe even the gray tank.

Good Luck!

2004 Element
Old 10-16-2015, 03:02 PM   #53

Are there any larger MH's that are built from aluminum/steel/stainless (sidewalls and roof) besides the more expensive prevosts and bluebirds?

Yes, our Newmar brags about having an aluminum superstructure. Do check out the Newmar DPs. A reasonably recent one should be quite affordable.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 04:01 PM   #54
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadalgo View Post
Over the weekend our family went to Tennessee, we rented a 2001 fleetwood bounder that was 37ft long with a triton v10. Driving it seemed like it was grossly over weight and very under powered. It rolled and swayed terribly and couldnt maintain highway speeds up most hills, not to mention mountains. Wind and Semi trucks blew the thing all over the road also.

I am VERY interested in purchasing an RV and would like to know if there will be a night and day difference between a 2002-2007 larger tag axle diesel pusher. I have been looking at possibly a beaver/monaco 42ft with a cummins ism or cat c12.

Are there any larger MH's that are built from aluminum/steel/stainless (sidewalls and roof) besides the more expensive prevosts and bluebirds?

Our 2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT drives and rides like a dream, steady as a rock!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:41 PM   #55

I stick with my recommendation to join the RV Consumer group. They are very helpful. In addition to all of the info you receive, you can contact them with your questions and receive a prompt reply. Worth the time and money.
Candy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 12:43 AM   #56

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
X2 on Candy girl

2004 Element

Tags
rvs