Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2015, 09:55 AM   #1

New to RV's, do all RV's handle terribly?

Over the weekend our family went to Tennessee, we rented a 2001 fleetwood bounder that was 37ft long with a triton v10. Driving it seemed like it was grossly over weight and very under powered. It rolled and swayed terribly and couldnt maintain highway speeds up most hills, not to mention mountains. Wind and Semi trucks blew the thing all over the road also.

I am VERY interested in purchasing an RV and would like to know if there will be a night and day difference between a 2002-2007 larger tag axle diesel pusher. I have been looking at possibly a beaver/monaco 42ft with a cummins ism or cat c12.

Are there any larger MH's that are built from aluminum/steel/stainless (sidewalls and roof) besides the more expensive prevosts and bluebirds?
hadalgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2015, 10:23 AM   #2

Our gas powered MH has enough power and handles absolutely fine with no mods whatsoever
Old 10-13-2015, 10:26 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
You should be able to find something that is much better to drive. I found the 2008 Fleetwood Revolution to be very easy, and even fun to drive. Our current 2005 Newmar gasser is a bit more noisy, but otherwise equally comfortable to drive with no wind or sway problems.
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:29 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Yes it will be like night and day driving a DP with a TAG vs a gas puller. I can pass a big rig on a two lane road at 60 and hardly feel any effect.

Of course everyone has different expectations of how there rig should handle and some are perfectly happy with a lighter less expensive rig.
Procyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadalgo View Post
Over the weekend our family went to Tennessee, we rented a 2001 fleetwood bounder that was 37ft long with a triton v10. Driving it seemed like it was grossly over weight and very under powered. It rolled and swayed terribly and couldnt maintain highway speeds up most hills, not to mention mountains. Wind and Semi trucks blew the thing all over the road also.

I am VERY interested in purchasing an RV and would like to know if there will be a night and day difference between a 2002-2007 larger tag axle diesel pusher. I have been looking at possibly a beaver/monaco 42ft with a cummins ism or cat c12.

Are there any larger MH's that are built from aluminum/steel/stainless (sidewalls and roof) besides the more expensive prevosts and bluebirds?
Well Sir,
Since what it appears is that you've only experienced ONE Class A motor home and it's handling/driving/operating characteristics. There's a zillion class As out there in both gas and diesel and, some are nice handling, properly loaded and, some are not so good. Gas coaches for quite a few years were equipped with either Workhorse chassis's by GM or, F-53 chassis's from Ford.

There were some that had alternate chassis's but, not all that many. The F-53, which was the Bounder you drove, does have a rep for not riding all too well. Lot's of folks have taken steps to improve or at the least, change handling and riding characteristics of the F-53.

There's only a ton of variables that constitute the makeup of ride/handling issues. Tire pressure is close to the top of the list. So many don't look at this factor. Some tire places will install a new set of tires and, fill them to the sidewall limits which, in many, many cases, will be 110 or 120 psi. And, in a huge percentage of those coaches, that's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much for proper handling and, the weight they're actually carrying.

Shocks are a hot subject on just how much effect they actually have. And, there's some that as low as around $80 each while there's some, that are in the sky-scraper cost of $400.00 each.

Of course most Diesel pushers will ride better than most gas units due to a totally different suspension principles, weight, larger tires, different loading, and more. And even some of those can have ride and handling issues.

So, in short, don't necessarily condemn all CLASS A's a having a bad ride and bad handling characteristics, without taking a ride in a few, then compare.

As for power. Well, folks have been debating that since the beginning of time. This is strictly a matter of personal experience. Some will drive and test a coach and label it as very poor power. Others may jump in that same coach and, run it through the same gauntlet and, come out completely happy. It's the old adage, HP vs weight. These things are rolling Kleenex boxes with ZERO aerodynamics. Then, add WEIGHT to the equation and, well it's not hard to figure out.

For about 99.999999% of todays recent gas coaches, all you're going to get is a Ford 365HP V-10 Triton motor. GM and it's 8.1 jumped out of the competition several years ago. In the diesel category, the primary one for the last few years has been Cummins since CAT, like GM and the 8.1, jumped out of the "over the road" engine manufacturing quite a few years ago. There are one or two other diesel suppliers though. Detroit, in the 60 series is still being installed, as I understand but, mostly in higher end models.

And, I think there's one more. I think it's "Navistar" but, I could be way off on that. Navistar used to be installed in the way early Ford pickups. So, a check on that would be warranted.

Anyway, the construction techniques of about probably 98% of the coaches produced for the working class people are fiberglass. If there's coaches out there with stainless steel sides and roofs, I don't have a clue as to which ones. Talk about weight, yeow!!!

So, If I were you, I'd surely go take a few more test drives in a few different styles, types, years, makes, models of both gas and diesels BEFORE rendering your verdict on quality/ride/handling/construction.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:08 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
First off, congrats for renting before you buy. Great way to figure out what's out there and what will work. Now go rent a diesel pussher with air ride suspension. We rented one, now we own one. To us, Yes, it's worth the extra cash to have something you love vice something you tollerate. We rented a 1yo Ford V-10 4-speed and it was horrible; downshifting and over-reving and motor between me and my sweetie and sway and changing lanes -- it was unbearable, I had to drink alot to keep from loosing my mind!

You don't need to go to a tag to get a nice ride. Tag means 45' and that may limit your travels. Our 40DP rides like a big cushy bus - no sway, 6speeds, 350hp Cat motor in the back and better insulated. Freaked me out first time the washer went into its spin cycle, I thought out motor hatch had come open, you normally don't hear the motor. And an exhaust brake which doesn't come in the gassers. You can sorta hear the exhaust brake. And air ride usually means air brakes and -- way cool -- a real air horn.

Go rent a DP, I bet you find it's worth it. With the engine in the back, the only annoying noise up front is......the air horn -- what were you thinking??
TonyMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 02:27 PM   #7

The handling and ride of a DP will be far better than the gas coach but the power will probably not be. Many gas units have as good or better power than their diesel equivalents. Even so when the diesel is working hard you won't hear it in contrast to the gas engine you are sitting next to. You might want to try one.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 02:55 PM   #8

It was a rental, and a rental of a mid-low range brand, that was 15 years old. That's about as bad as it gets, more than likely. Not bashing Bounder, they are fine for what they are, but c'mon.

Ever rented a car that handled and drove like crap compared to your daily driver? Yeah. Like that.

A newer and better RV will handle and drive anywhere from some better to worlds better. Don't let it concern you. As you shop, read the owner's forums. Trust me, if a particular model has handling or power problems, you'll hear about it from those who have them.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:18 PM   #9

New to RV's, do all RV's handle terrible?

Quote:

To the OP, you say you "have been looking at possibly a beaver/monaco 42ft with a cummins ism or cat c12."
You would love it!
I have a 09 Monaco 42ft with tag and a 425 Cummins ISL. awesome ride
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:21 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
It's not the power in HP you should be concerned with. There are sedans out there with nearly as much HP as my 350 Cat - heck, my 15 year old Caddy has 300. It's the TORQUE that moves your coach down the road, or more importantly, UP the hills. Most < 15 year old DPs have engines that generates 700+ lb/ft of torque. At 1800 rpm.

Once you take a 36+ foot DP out for a spin, you'll see the difference. It is noticeable.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:50 PM   #11

My first Rv was a 40' non tag with an underpowered Cummins engine and Spartan chassis. It weighed 29k lbs and pulled a 6% grade at around 25mph. My current RV is a 42ft tag with the road master S series chassis. I wouldn't trade it for any of the new motor homes. I drove to Yosemite pulling a 23ft trailer on a road I found out later was restricted to 40' vehicles. It rode like a dream. They call them the BMW of the MH world with 10 outboard airbags and a monocoque chassis. It weighs 42k lbs and pushes trucks over. It is easy to drive even in stiff crosswinds. Test drive a Monoco Dynasty or higher end Monaco product with a tag axle. My 525hp cat passes everything except a fuel station... Lol.
Plenty of power and torque.
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:17 PM   #12

Quote:

The Monaco built coaches that are built on the S Series semi monocoque chassis utilizes welded steel floor, side wall and rood assemblies. They are extremely strong and ride and handle well. If you desire even better handling, the expertise exists on IRV2, to make it even better. The Dynasty, Executive and Signature are built of this chassis also some of the high end Holiday Ramblers and Beavers.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:34 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

Yes, there will be a night and day difference in the gasser you rented and 2002-2007 larger tag axle diesel pusher. The DP isn't going to be fast but it won't be as sensitive to weight or head winds like a gasser. The DP is just so much more massive in the way it feels (to me anyway).

I think all DPs are going to have an aluminum or steel (frame steel - superstructure steel or aluminum). I don't know of any that are anything else but that.

Be sure to look at Country Coach, Newmar, and American Coach too.

BTW - I think all of the Coaches I drove (including my Beaver) don't do a very good job of isolating pot holes, expansion joints, and bridge seams from the driver. The impact on the tires is very rough and it transmits to the steering wheel more than a car does. So while these big coaches float along on a smooth hiway, it can get a bit annoying on rough roads.
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:37 PM   #14

Quote:

I won't pick on the Bounder much other than they were a entry level gas coach. What I find hard to believe is some one rented you a coach that old. As to diesel yes most will ride and handle better than what you rented but so would a 20 year old pick up with bad shocks LOL. Go out and test drive a current model gas or diesel coach and feel the difference. The suspension and handling have improved light years since that Bounder was born.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvs