Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2020, 07:32 AM   #1

New Tool / Question

Does my new tool change anyone’s mind about carrying a spare?
I recently bought the new Milwaukee, Cordless, 1” Drive, D-Handle impact wrench, (2000 ft/lbs torque).
I suspect my smaller, Milwaukee, 1/2” drive impact with 1400 ft/lbs torque would work but on 22.5 I may as well carry the larger.
I didn’t buy either for RVing, I bought them for use on equipment I own but if I’m in my MH, I won’t be using them so I may as well bring one as opposed to wishing I had.

If you’re interested in the tool, here’s a link...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Odalith is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2020, 07:38 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Nice

If you are going to try and change your own tire it makes sense to carry a large impact.

I do carry a spare but my problem is that it would be difficult for me to lift my coach off the ground to change a tire. I will probably call road service to change the tire.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:47 PM   #3

When you carry a spare is it mounted on a rim? Do you carry it in a storage compartment or rear rack? I don't want to change the tire myself either but having a replacement on board eliminates locating one on the road and avoiding the "here is the cost of what we could find" story.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplewide View Post
When you carry a spare is it mounted on a rim? Do you carry it in a storage compartment or rear rack? I don't want to change the tire myself either but having a replacement on board eliminates locating one on the road and avoiding the "here is the cost of what we could find" story.
I carry mine unmounted in a storage bay. All kinds of seldom used stuff can be stored inside the tire so I don’t lose much storage space. Also have a piece of plywood layer on top for a shelf.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:06 PM   #5

I carry a mounted spair in storage compartment
I carry a 600ft ld impact
Also a 20 ton manual and air hyd jack
A tq wrench
Wheels tq to 140 & 150
And a 150 psi compressor
All in the tool compartment
Chevelle427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odalith View Post
Does my new tool change anyone’s mind about carrying a spare?
Did you just post this to brag on the hulking great tool you just bought?

Actually that's OK with me. I have not seem that monster before. Not sure I'd care to use it myself.

I have big 1/2" drive one at work and got tired of lugging it home for weekend projects and such so I just picked up a second one. We shop at the same store, on sale $249 bare tool plus one battery. Couldn't resist.

I've recently used my 1/2" Milwaukee to literally shear a 13 mm shank diameter bolt right in two. Rusted and seized subframe bolt. Did it with a "weighted" socket like for harmonic balancer bolts but I was still pretty impressed. Took a good amount of my 175 pounds to hang onto that sucker. These battery guns can torque up quite a bit and give you a workout hanging on to them where air impacts basically just beat on the fasteners.
That honking great thing you bought looks like it's best used by two men and a boy. You must be a pretty good sized fella.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:04 PM   #7

Get a torque multiplier with the right sized socket and run with that.
You don't need a powered torque wrench on the road for the minor chance you will need ONE tire replaced AND will be doing that yourself. Not just the expense of the tool but you need to keep it charged, the battery goes bad over time, etc.

If you do this for others as a pro all day long, then sure.

You still need to measure the tighten torque. 450ft lbs is tough to guess with an impact.

I too love tools, but the right tool for the right job.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:42 AM   #8

I have not one but two pretty powerful battery impacts more than capable of taking care of my RV wheels and tire needs. Like Odalith I have other uses for the guns and they weren't purchased specifically for the coach. I do not own a torque multiplier. Specified torque for the lugs on MY coach is 150 pounds. So.....I'm thinking maybe one size does not fit all here.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:43 AM   #9

[QUOTE=GypsyR;5459963]Did you just post this to brag on the hulking great tool you just bought?

That’s actually a good question nut no, not about bragging. I bought the tool primarily for rear (19.5L 24 or +) tractor tires. The lugs get so anchored in place it can be a gut buster to get them loose. I go through 3/4” drive breaker bars like nuthin.

I've recently used my 1/2" Milwaukee to literally shear a 13 mm shank diameter bolt right in two. Rusted and seized subframe bolt. Did it with a "weighted" socket like for harmonic balancer bolts but I was still pretty impressed. Took a good amount of my 175 pounds to hang onto that sucker. These battery guns can torque up quite a bit and give you a workout hanging on to them where air impacts basically just beat on the fasteners.
That honking great thing you bought looks like it's best used by two men and a boy. You must be a pretty good sized fella.

The D-handle configuration is completely different from the 1/2” impacts. Additionally, it’s heavy which helps. I have three of Milwaukee’s 1/2” drive impacts, love em but on the bigger stuff they are either right on the edge of what they can handle or just can’t do it. Wasn’t paying as much attention as I should have been when tightening a bucket attachment once, nearly sheered off a finger with that 1/2” beast. Too much power for the configuration but when that’s all there was, it was greatly appreciated.

Don’t know if you are aware of Milwaukee’s “one key” system. You register your tool. If you can’t find it, you can locate with “one key”. It shows you the location of the tool on Google maps. You can disable it and if someone takes it to a shop, the shop can ID it as yours and notify you they have it. Not sure how it would turn out if I saw a stolen tool going down the road on google maps and I could follow it.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:03 AM   #10

I'm trying to figure out what you need 2,000 ft. lbs. of torque for in a motor home. Last I knew lugs were 450 to 500 ft. lbs and you can't measure that on an impact wrench. Am I missing something here?
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:05 AM   #11

The high multipliers will break the lugs with ease cheap side $70ish. Jegs has 100-600 40" torque wrench for $170 you'll have to put oomph to get 450lbs. The 3 to 1 multipliers never seen a cheapish one ,can be used with 200lb torque wrench add percentage of loss. By the time you get all the two multipliers and 200lb TQ & 3/4" extension. You still at about $400-500 on the low side.
You also have to be able to get wheel on and off lugs. To do at home or parking lot is one thing. Do you want to attempt any of this on side of highway. You can even get tools to swap semi tires on and off rims easier than a car tire, besides the weight and risks of fully seating the beads.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:39 AM   #12

Breakaway torque on rusted/seized fasteners is an entirely different thing than tightening torques. Many times it's taken all my 1200 pound wrench could put out to get loose a fastener that was originally tightened to only like 100 foot pounds.

I looked at the one key option before I bought my last gun (three weeks ago). Didn't do anything I saw a need for. If you borrow one of my expensive tools I'm just about going to be standing behind you waiting for you to to get done and hand it back to me. Not really quite that bad but I don't let my tool investments far out of my sight for long.

My tip for Milwaukee success is to buy a "boot" for your impacts. Keeps them nicer looking longer and maybe protests them some. But what you REALLY want one for is that it will protect the sticker on the side that IS your warranty. Beat the numbers off that sticker and they can't identify the tool and won't warranty it. With a five year warranty it's worth the trouble.
Old 10-01-2020, 06:19 AM   #13

I looked at the one key option before I bought my last gun (three weeks ago). Didn't do anything I saw a need for. If you borrow one of my expensive tools I'm just about going to be standing behind you waiting for you to to get done and hand it back to me. Not really quite that bad but I don't let my tool investments far out of my sight for long.

I’m not worried about someone who I LET borrow a tool. I’m more concerned about those who might borrow without my knowledge. Sometimes I have to drive as close as possible, then carry stuff to a tractor - come back to the truck and realize some borrower paid me visit.

My tip for Milwaukee success is to buy a "boot" for your impacts. Keeps them nicer looking longer and maybe protests them some. But what you REALLY want one for is that it will protect the sticker on the side that IS your warranty. Beat the numbers off that sticker and they can't identify the tool and won't warranty it. With a five year warranty it's worth the trouble.[/QUOTE]

I don’t think this applies when you use One Key. But you have a great point, I better verify this. Additionally, the D-Handle comes with a boot but I’m not sure if the boot covers the plate, I should verify this also.
Old 10-01-2020, 06:31 AM   #14

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
I'm trying to figure out what you need 2,000 ft. lbs. of torque for in a motor home. Last I knew lugs were 450 to 500 ft. lbs and you can't measure that on an impact wrench. Am I missing something here?
There are three or four preset torque options. No matter what the torque spec is, getting lugs to break almost always requires WAY more than spec.

I have no intention of changing a tire on the wheel while broke down on the side of the road. If I can’t carry a mounted spare, all bets are off. Without a mounted spare, I would only carry an unmounted tire to insure I’m not at the mercy of a roadside service inventory.

In regard to dealing with a large tire / wheel, I deal with 19.5L 24s and occasionally larger. Those MH tire / wheels don’t really intimidate me. I have a wife