Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2020, 11:07 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
rffowler55; Shocks provide absolutely no 'lift'. They provide movement resistance. The springs, whether coil or flat are what provide the vehicle stance.
That's what I was going to say. Shocks control movement/bounce only and zero support.
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2020, 12:01 PM   #16

Lose the Bilsteins. It was an expensive lesson.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 12:32 PM   #17

There are many articles that state shock absorber's do provide a larger support to the front end suspension and if not adequate can contribute to side to side sway to varying degrees. I never intended to imply a shock raises the chassis height greater than provided by the leaf springs, what I did a poor job of explaining, is that the shock assists in retaining such height by adding resistance to the chassis's response to a bump where the momentum attempts to bring the chassis and leaf springs closer together to a point where the compression is stopped by the bump stop if the shock is not adequate to retain the chassis height.

What is the Function of Shock Absorbers? by Jason Medina
Shock absorbers are an important component of any vehicle suspension system. The majority of vehicles have once shock absorber for every vehicle tire. Each shock absorber provides significant strength and functionality to a vehicle's suspension system.

Limit Vehicle Body Movement

The main purpose of shock absorbers is to limit overall vehicle body movement, or sway. As a vehicle is driven, the body will move up and down or side to side to various degrees in response to driving and road conditions. These type of vehicle movements are held in check by shock absorbers.

Stabilize Vehicle Ride

Depending on road conditions or driving style, a vehicle can go from smooth and controlled to bumpy and erratic in a short time period. Shock absorbers stabilize the overall vehicle ride, preventing an excess of vehicle body lean or roll in any one direction, especially when cornering or navigating sharp turns. This stabilization allows for greater vehicle control and stability.
2007 Newmar Baystar; 3201; SumoSprings Front; Timbren Springs Rear; Safe-T-Plus; 2016 Fiat 500; Roadmaster Falcon 2;Demco SBS DUO Braking System;TST 507; Bilstein shocks; Garmin RV 785; Supersteer Rear Trac Bar, Thule Easyfold XT2,RVWhisper
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 01:22 PM   #18

As others have said, I doubt very much that it is the Toyo tires, but the pressure they are at along with the possibility of too light a shock for the task. Too bad you didn't do one at a time, but understand the efficiency of doing both. Inflate to the placard on the coach, but weigh it and adjust to Toyo's inflation chart to get it right. Two years ago, I went from six year old Michelin XZA tires with 50,000 miles on them to Toyo M144's. The ride was the same to me, but the DW thinks it improved. I spin balanced the steers and beaded to rear six tires. The were smooth on the first mile and the mpg improved slightly.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:41 PM   #19

My suggestion is to make sure that the Toyo tires were the same size and load range rating. I have toyo's and love them but in my size i had the option of 14 or 16 ply tires different load range, they would feel different. More Data will help narrow down the problem.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:55 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Replace the Bilsteins with KONI shocks! A world of difference!
And you'll be glad you did!
Correct tire pressures can make a big difference in ride & handling!
Get chassis weighed & use tire chart accordingly, for the weight!

Good Luck!
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:13 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
My '03 Itasca Sunrise drove the same way when the tires were replaced and inflated to the maximum PSI indicated on the sidewall by the tire shop. Once I weighted the coach and inflated the tires according to the manufacturer's recommendations, there was an immediate "night and day" difference. I'd at least give that a shot before making any big changes.
Old 08-21-2020, 09:17 AM   #22

Couple of points:

Yes, proper inflation is very important.

Deeper tread (new tires)= more squirm.

Additionally tires DO take a few hundred miles to "break in". Please report back after a couple of trips.
Old 08-21-2020, 09:56 AM   #23

I've always read on these types of forums that the Koni's were the way to go. Back in my autocross days, everyone was running Koni's in their cars.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:25 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
I had exactly the same problem you describe with new Toyos on our old Beaver Marquis. I replaced the two fonts with Bridgestone steer tires and the problem was solved. I got the tires from Service Tire in Allentown, PA. They took the Toyos back and gave me full credit, even with 230 miles on them.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 03:11 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
I had the same problem on my motorhome. Trucks passing me would blow me everywhere except where I needed to be. I took off the Bilsteins, threw them in the trash and put on good ole Monroe's. Now trucks pass me and I don't even feel them.
jimnkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 03:36 PM   #26

Every boat I've ever driven handled like it was on rails and would turn on a dime. Not real sure what "drives like a boat" actually means. Can someone clarify?
Old 08-21-2020, 04:08 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Every boat I've ever driven handled like it was on rails and would turn on a dime. Not real sure what "drives like a boat" actually means. Can someone clarify?
Wallowing. We're not talking about a ski boat underway at speed. But I think you know that.
Old 08-27-2020, 03:42 PM   #28

Do you know what pressures you used for the old tires?
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote