Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #57

I stand by what I have said in regards to heat radiation and the color black. You are talking about heat reflection. Two differnt things.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2011, 06:06 PM   #58

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to The General
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
I stand by what I have said in regards to heat radiation and the color black. You are talking about heat reflection. Two differnt things.
Mike
Thermal radiation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Steve
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:41 PM   #59

Excerpt from the Wikipedia entry by the General - My highlights

Lighter colors and also whites and metallic substances absorb less illuminating light, and thus heat up less; but otherwise color makes small difference as regards heat transfer between an object at everyday temperatures and its surroundings, since the dominant emitted wavelengths are nowhere near the visible spectrum, but rather in the far infrared. Emissivities at those wavelengths have little to do with visual emissivities (visible colors); in the far infrared, most objects have high emissivities. Thus, except in sunlight, the color of clothing makes little difference as regards warmth; likewise, paint color of houses makes little difference to warmth except when the painted part is sunlit.

I think that the confusion comes about because radiation is ABSORBED, converted to heat, and then CONDUCTED and stored in the case of metal, such as a car roof.

In any case, let's get back to the original question. I vote for contrasting pin stripes on all roof accessories, as well as gold plating on the Alcoa wheels and the French doors on the fridge.

Can you say "Pimp My Ride"?
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:06 AM   #60

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to The General
Bluepill?
I agree with your fashion approach and also plan to pimp my ride, in my next life!

More specific excerpts:
Except in sunlight, the color of clothing makes little difference as regards warmth; likewise, paint color of houses makes little difference to warmth except when the painted part is sunlit.
The operative word is sunlit!
If an RV Mfg ever makes a black roof, I will ask the neigh sayers to place their butts on the sunlit roof for their own well done butt roasts!

We can agree to disagree?

Steve
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #61

At this point I don't think that anyone is really going to change their opinions.

I would, however, like to make you all agree that my choice of motor oils is the only possible one..................
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:33 PM   #62

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to bolhuijo
And for the curious, radiators, condensers, heater cores, and evaporators are pretty much all 100% aluminum these days (with the exception of the glass-filled nylon tanks on the radiators.) Condensers & radiators are sometimes painted black, but that's a cosmetic request by the customer. (My last job was engineer at a heat exchanger manufacturer)
bolhuijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:26 PM   #63

Do you think it may be because the UV additive used in plastics is black? You can buy black UV resistant wire wraps but I have not seen white or tranlucent ones, same with the wire loom sleeving used vehicles. The old white covers did not stand up to the sun very well. Don't know,
just a thought!
Rapid Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:52 AM   #64

Damon Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
I think using black for all roof attachments flattens the roof line giving a more appealing appearance. It takes away the prominence of the roof attachments. If you notice the roof line on luxury coaches, especially Prevost, there is a roof molding around the roof edge hiding the attachments. Also if you have to replace any of the attachments you don't have to match it with the coach paint.
RJay ....You have my vote...In the material handling biz primarly forklifts..they paint the upright or Mast matte black this does two things ..it reduces glare and your eyes do not focus on but rather look thru it or past it..and hence "take away the prominence of the roof attachments".....Thats my imput!....Great Forum!
She and I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:19 AM   #65

Ford Super Duty Owner
You got it Rapid Robert - black lasts better because it is not so prone to UV damage.
It would be interesting to know how many RV ers have had to replace white vent covers/lids etc. due to deterioration due to the effects of UV.
baysidetas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:26 AM   #66
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
I'm gonna paint mine green so they match my "eyes" LOL. That ought to get some people going!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:29 AM   #67

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My ac covers , vents etc are black i kinda like the look
Southernboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:32 PM   #68

black or white

maybe we should start painting our propane tanks back.
1skatingrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:44 PM   #69
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1skatingrin View Post
maybe we should start painting our propane tanks back.
You must have one weird looking MH if your tank is mounted on the roof
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote