Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2017, 12:18 PM   #1

New/used 1990 H.R. Monitor issues.

Hey all,

Shortly after we purchased our Class A 1990 Monitor we noticed an issue. I will describe it below:

When attempting to accellerate, pedal pressed half distance to floor, the motor would whine up then bogg down to the brink of dying. This cycle would repeat even though we couldn't get above 10mph.

What we did mechanically: FULL TUNE UP - Cap n rotor, Plugs n wires, fuel filter and 2 can of seafoam... Also removed and checked catalytic(no clog) then did a fuel pressure test. Started out at 30psi, once acceleration started it dropped all the way down. Is our fuel pump bad?
Skrewball is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2017, 01:10 PM   #2

If pressure dies with the motor. Yes. If you stop will it go back to normal or does it die no matter what.
vdubbugman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:18 PM   #3

It sounds like the fuel pump or it could be a clog in the fuel filter which sounds like it might be. When you accelerate of course you will create more vacuum and not enough fuel equals to bogging down.
mcarden75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:13 AM   #4

If we stop the acceleration it does revert to a normal idle.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrewball View Post
If we stop the acceleration it does revert to a normal idle.
Yeah to me it sounds like a clog in the fuel line like it isn't getting enough gas. When was the last time you changed the fuel filter? Depending on the engine you will either have an inline fuel filter and/or canister. Somewhere a long the line your engine isn't receiving enough fuel. If it was the fuel injectors I would think it would be the same either idle and acceleration.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:05 AM   #6

I replaced the fuel filter the same time I did the tune up. The one I pulled off was Very clogged. Once the new fuel pump gets here before I install it We gonna blow out the fuel lines to clear them.

Another question:

Anyone know the easiest way to clean the funk out of the fuel tank WITHOUT dropping it? The tank is full with new gas.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:08 AM   #7

Quote:
I replaced the fuel filter the same time I did the tune up. The one I pulled off was Very clogged. Once the new fuel pump gets here before I install it We gonna blow out the fuel lines to clear them.

Another question:

Anyone know the easiest way to clean the funk out of the fuel tank WITHOUT dropping it? The tank is full with new gas.
Actually the only way I can think is to drop the tank. If you have an 80 like I do, that's an expensive job. All I do is put a complete engine treatment I got from auto zone and cleared everything up.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:12 AM   #8

I added 2 cans of seafoam because it is an 80g. I'm just hoping that once I clear the lines and hook up the new fuel filter, she'll be mobile. Were praying.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:31 AM   #9

Quote:
I added 2 cans of seafoam because it is an 80g. I'm just hoping that once I clear the lines and hook up the new fuel filter, she'll be mobile. Were praying.
I was thinking about your situation and I agree with fixes you are doing. Seafoam is good but the complete engine treatment is really strong stuff. To give you an example, I have a diesel pickup that I use to tow my 5th wheel. I was thrown an EGR code. I put the treatment and my truck is running so smooth and full power. I did the same in my RV and before the engine was sputtering. Now my RV is running like a Cadillac.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:41 AM   #10

The RV was only sputtering when the throttle would reach above 4k RPM then would drop right down as if it wasn't being fed fuel. When we didbour pressure test we did it at the fuel rail. At idle it was sitting at 30psi, once we got up to 45k RPM it flat lined at 0psi. Not only that the fuel filter we pulled off (before pressure test) was Very clogged and the gas coming out looked like poss and smelled like terpentine. I know there's a bunch of funk at the bottom of the tank. So my buddy is getting us a couple 50gal drums and were gonna draing the tank. Let it dry up and vaccine out all the funk. At the same time were gonna blow the air lines with compressed air to clear them. This is all being done before we install our new pump.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:45 PM   #11

i think you answered your own question. if the tank is full of gunk and varnish along with bad gas the only way to clean it is to remove it and do it right one time. you don't want to be stuck along side the highway with a full tank and some gunk and varnish breaks off leaving you stranded and your rig many miles from home.
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:54 AM   #12

We already experienced that the weekend we got it. We got stranded 2.5 hours from home in the rv and had to pay a lot of money to have it towed home. Now my roommate is getting 2 50g barrels so we can transfer the fuel, then we're gonna let the tank dry and clean it up, blow the line and once the new fuel pump is here on the 13th she should be good to go.