Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2013, 05:23 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
New Used Class A - Need Help

I've been working on the 2000 Winnebago Adventurer 35B that I just bought. I haven't taken it out yet. When I first brought it home I was able to start the generator and now when I push the Start button...nothing...nothing..not a click...nothing.

What should I look for?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jane
janiemort is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Battery kill switch turned to off. I think the genny uses the house batteries, but I am not sure. I would switch on chassis & house batteries if they are not on, then try.
Also the genny should have apprx a 30sec delay before cranking. You must hold the start switch in the run position for at least 30 seconds before it will start. Is there a light in the switch? Does it blink when you hold down the switch to start? Is the genny a Onan Generator? If so they are made by Cummins/Onan go to the Cummins/ Onan website & look up trouble shooting for your model. There is a lot of good info on their website. Hope one of these suggestions help.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:42 PM   #3

At the generator, try to start it there. If you hear a click you are getting power to the solenoid. If you hear nothing, there is a 5 amp fuse on the start panel, check that. If you get a click at the solenoid, tap on on the starter while holding the start button. It gets a bit more complicated after that but nothing you can't handle.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I hear a beep

After hitting the Coach Battery button I now hear a beep when I press the Generator Start button both in the Coach and at the Dashboard, but I hear nothing when I hit the Start button at the Generator (Or maybe I just can't hear it).

Thanks!
Old 05-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wha?

Oh Yeah...what is a solenoid? I'm really green, sorry.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

How much gasoline do you have in the RV? Most gennys won't run if you are 1/4 tank or less.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:52 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gas level

I have a little over 1/2 tank. Thanks for that info. Could my gas gauge be faulty?
Old 05-17-2013, 05:55 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Onan it is...I sound like Yoda yeah?

It is an Onan 5000.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Disbike
I think you should explain your 30 second starting delay statement.

She has a gasoline chassis and the gasoline generator should start immediately but may have a 30 second delay before the transfer switch will activate the 110V electricity in the motorhome.

Sara W
For clarification, the gen will crank with a empty fuel tank but it won't continue to run.
1995 F53 35U Bounder, Wide Body-Large Vertical Windows-NO SLIDES, Front Axle-Davis Tru-Trac Bar, Rear Axle-SuperSteer Trac Bar, TowBar/Brake System-NSA ReadyBrute Elite, Family Motor Coach Association F 513--F 513s MotorHoming since 1952
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
janiemort
On the right side of the start switch panel on your Onan you will find a rubber boot covering the battery cable. Us a voltage meter or a 12 volt test light to be sure you have full voltage at that terminal at the same time you push the start switch at the Onan panel.
Dwight
1995 F53 35U Bounder, Wide Body-Large Vertical Windows-NO SLIDES, Front Axle-Davis Tru-Trac Bar, Rear Axle-SuperSteer Trac Bar, TowBar/Brake System-NSA ReadyBrute Elite, Family Motor Coach Association F 513--F 513s MotorHoming since 1952
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:26 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Moment to do my homework

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think my problem is battery related. I just tried to start the engine and now my engine battery is dead. I'll get back to you once I resolve this problem.

Seriously, you all are great. I really appreciate every comment.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Disbike
I think you should explain your 30 second starting delay statement.

She has a gasoline chassis and the gasoline generator should start immediately but may have a 30 second delay before the transfer switch will activate the 110V electricity in the motorhome.

Sara W
For clarification, the gen will crank with a empty fuel tank but it won't continue to run.
Dwight you are correct, I forgot that if it is gas & not diesel it should crank immediatley. However my first MH was gas & I do remember that you move the switch to the off position for 30 seconds to prime the genny then hit the start position to start. Thanks for catching my mistake.

If you have low voltage on your batteries that could cause this issue. To start your chassis engine can you use the transfer switch from the house batteries to start the engine? As I stated earlier I am not sure which batteries start your genny. You may have a problem with all of your batteries.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #13

Thumbs up

If the motorhome has been sitting awhile, the house batteries will need to be charged to full. The house batteries will start the coach battery if they are fully charged. There is a switch on the dash for that.

If the coach battery is not charged you will hear nothing when turning the key. Low or dead battery - Charge battery to full charge with a battery charger.

You may have to check the battery fluid level and top off before charging.

What I do is use a battery charger on a 24 volt system by removing the batteries from the coach and charging them separately. Then reinstalling them back into the coach.

If after charging nothing works or doesn't start it will mean that the batteries will need to be replaced.

If all is well, after charging, remember the house batteries will only charge when hooked to an external source. The coach battery will charge off the alternator when driving.

If you have any further ???? do not hesitate to let me know.

Hope this helps
BACKDRAFT161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:15 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
[QUOTE
If you have low voltage on your batteries that could cause this issue. To start your chassis engine can you use the transfer switch from the house batteries to start the engine? As I stated earlier I am not sure which batteries start your genny. You may have a problem with all of your batteries.[/QUOTE]

Okay, I'm not sure what fixed it. I left the shoreline plugged in for a few hours this morning and I replaced a bad fuse under the flip-up dash (still need to check them all). The generator starts now.

HOWEVER, now the engine won't start (still won't start I should say). I hear a click-click-click noise when I turn the key. Is this the solenoid issue by any chance?

The jacks won't lower either, I think because the battery may be low. When I hold the RAISE button, it sounds like the little engine that could, but then it dies before it gets to the top of the mountain. Pressing the Boost button doesn't seem to help with the leveling system. It also doesn't help start the engine--still get the click-click-click.

Thanks again for all of your responses. This forum is so great!