Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #1

New, Used Motorhome, Maybe?

Greetings! I am a new member!

We have RV's in our blood, wife and I met with our families Rv'ing, and her and I have had RV's now for over 40 years.

We are looking at a RV change, moving from a 5th wheel toy hauler, to a used 2007 Fleetwood Excursion 39L. It has a Cat C7 350 horse, 36,000 miles and appears to be in clean shape. This unit has 2 slides, one 27 footer that really makes for a very open floor plan that we like. We test drove this weekend, it felt very nice, however we are new to motorhomes have no comparison.

Of course of part of this is having to do with our budget. We are in the $100k range with this unit. So the units we are comparing to are in that range. We expect to keep it for years to come (have covered storage) and therefore newer is better. So we prefer a 2007 to a 2005.

I should add, we will tow a enclosed trailer to haul our bikes in. probably 5,000 lb will be max load if I take our collection in our big trailer to a show.

What is everyones thoughts on this purchase? Drive train? Fleetwood?

Thanks for your time and thoughts?

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #2

2007 is a good cutoff for engine.2008 was first year for regeneration engine.2007 will get better fuel milage.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just make sure you check the coach out thoroughly. Has the drive train been serviced properly? How many previous owners has it had? At 6 years of age, it will be needing new tires so make sure to include that cost in your calculations. In spite of whatever you do, count on setting aside $2,000 for unanticipated items related to the chassis or house that will need fixing. For example, air dryer, transmission service, new belts, air filter, lube, fuel filters, genset service, etc. DP's are great but not necessarily cheap to fix or maintain.

NADA low retail on that coach is about $102,000, so at this time of year (end of camping season) you should be able to buy that coach for less than low retail. If it is otherwise what you want in terms of floor plan and features, has been properly maintained, etc., you should be able to get it for wholesale or less....maybe 10-15% less than NADA low retail.

You might also want to post your questions about that particular year and model on the Fleetwood owners area to get more specific info on that coach. The 350 CAT, if properly cared for, is a good engine and should last more miles than you would ever likely put on it.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Just make sure you check the coach out thoroughly. Has the drive train been serviced properly? How many previous owners has it had? At 6 years of age, it will be needing new tires so make sure to include that cost in your calculations. In spite of whatever you do, count on setting aside $2,000 for unanticipated items related to the chassis or house that will need fixing. For example, air dryer, transmission service, new belts, air filter, lube, fuel filters, genset service, etc. DP's are great but not necessarily cheap to fix or maintain.

NADA low retail on that coach is about $102,000, so at this time of year (end of camping season) you should be able to buy that coach for less than low retail. If it is otherwise what you want in terms of floor plan and features, has been properly maintained, etc., you should be able to get it for wholesale or less....maybe 10-15% less than NADA low retail.

You might also want to post your questions about that particular year and model on the Fleetwood owners area to get more specific info on that coach. The 350 CAT, if properly cared for, is a good engine and should last more miles than you would ever likely put on it.
I am going to disagree with this poster about the tires. That is a very debated subject. My MH which I bought used had 8 year old tires. There are a lot of posts on they have to be replaced regardless if that old. I hedged my bets a bit and replaced the steering axle tires. A blow out on the front I think has a lot greater chance of being catastrophic. We examined those two tires very closely. They had good tread and no cracks either externally or internally. I invested in a TPMS system for about one third the cost of a new tire. I believe I can monitor the pressure and more importantly the temperature of a tire and watch for an abnormal heat rise which I think would indicate flexing of the tire prior to a blow out. I have put 10,000 more miles on the back tires and another year of service without problems.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #5

Yes thanks! The advertised price is a little higher than low list, however we have not seen his quote yet. We do think this is a good time to buy.

And yes, we are sorta avoiding the new diesel technology, so 2007's are in our price range and have other advantages. Not my first diesel, have a few pickups and tractors, heavy equipt..

Guys, I asked the dealer, waiting for response, but typically do they completely service a coach before sale? Fluids, filters, etc? So we can start out with a clean slate? We have a vacation planned in 4 weeks would like to be ready to go when we take delivery.

Thanks for your help, I will ask on the Fleetwood section.

L.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #6

Lloyd,
That is a nice coach. I recently bought a fleetwood and have been very impressed with the technical and parts support for an out of warranty coach. Mine was through American Coach for technical support, but I think Fleetwood (parent of AC) is good too!

At that price range take a look at a Revolution as well. We got ours with 33K miles and it appears to have been very well cared for. Revolution is the top of the line Fleetwood coach for that vintage, a couple models above the Excursion. Honestly, cant go too wrong either way. There are a lot of excursions out there, so finding a great one shouldn't be too hard,and an even easier time finding a great deal.

If NADA is $102K on that coach, it is likely overpriced at $100K as smlranger mentioned. Plan to spend a few $K if you dont do maintenance items yourself. If you enjoy that kind of work, and it is a great way to get to know your new rig then you can save a lot and get the maintenance perfecto. For example, you likely need to service the transmission, not by miles but by age. It isn't hard, but the parts alone will cost about $300 (transynd and filters).

Be prepared to replace the tires if they are original. My 295/80 22.5's cost a fortune. Definitely price tires before you purchase so you are prepared for a potentially big expense up front.

Enjoy the search and take your time. There are lots of neat options on that rig and you will need to consider the tradeoffs. For example, that outdoor kitchen is cool, so is the outdoor entertainment system. BUT they both eat up storage, and the Excursion isn't pass through.

Chris.
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C View Post
Guys, I asked the dealer, waiting for response, but typically do they completely service a coach before sale? Fluids, filters, etc? So we can start out with a clean slate? We have a vacation planned in 4 weeks would like to be ready to go when we take delivery.

Thanks for your help, I will ask on the Fleetwood section.

L.
The dealer will do the bare minimum needed to make the most profit

On that coach (and to get a clean slate) assume you need at a minimum:
Cat oil and oil filter
Fuel filter(s)
Hydraulic filters AND fluid (mine has 2 filters) this is a rear radiator, so your mileage may vary
Air dryer filter/dessicant
Cat Air Filter
Gen Air/Oil/Fuel
Transmission fluid (transynd synthetic) and filters (2)
Coolant
New smoke and carbon monoxide detectors

and perhaps a few more things. The dealer may say they changed the fluid and filters, but did they do all above?

Chris
Old 09-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I'm a former Excursion owner, think they are a fine starter rig. In some ways, my 2005 Excursion was a better rig than my current iconic Patriot Thunder.

Particularly if the tires are not new, a wise buyer should pay about 76% of the Avg Retail NADA price for the rig.

Maintenance trumps mileage, always. I'd accept 100K miles on a rig like this one that is perfectly maintained before taking one with 25K that has sat for extended periods. The C7 engine is fine if the filters and fluids have been changed regularly. Check under the fresh water tanks for drips, the front end for worn bushings and boots. Replace all tires that are original, immediately with priority going to the steering axle. This model is prone to fogged windows and leakage between the foam and interior paneling (evidenced by ripples or bulging of interior walls seen only at a shallow angle with bright light). Drop the intake grates of those AC units, inspect and sniff the filter elements. Make sure the fridge recalls have been complied with.

Good luck. If kept properly, the Excursion is one of the best-kept secrets in all of RV-dom, I think!
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:12 PM   #9

Good advice!

Ahh, the tires looked good, except one is obviously not original. But that sounds like good advice. We have been through the "old" tire problem on our trailers. Ugly way to ruin and trip.

Thanks very much all. The dealer in this case has it marked at $109k. And it had a few minor problems, slight damage in the right rear corner needs minor body work, one mirror head hit something, and some of the electronics are missing, DVD player, bedroom tv and player, now washer dryer.

I see one tire that is not a match, it is a steering tire on a rear axle. The others may all be original. Although I saw on the brochure I found online for the 2007 model, it came with micelin tires and none were that.

Thanks for all the data, very glad I asked.

L.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:19 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
On Second Thought...

I like this rig less and less, the more I here about it.

Having just driven the scenic stretch between Myrtle Beach and Raleigh, I can tell you used RVs for sale litter the roadside. I mean, it's a buyer's market out there.

Your candidate should be a 39V, if it has two slides. HERE is the NADA page for it.

If everything worked on the rig, no equipment was missing, and the tires matched, you'd expect to pay $92K for it. Trust me, I just was an Excursion seller. Mine was in showroom condition, this sounds like it's had marginal care, at best.

The Revolution is a wonderful, much nicer, bus. If you can find one that is a year older, you might be able to obtain a better rig at the same price. I'd hold out for the stellar ideal of a traveling (vs lived in) rig that has been garaged, cared for by a mechanic owner.

Time is on your side: the new NADA values come out soon, and sellers know their rigs are going to take yet another hit.

As to the original topic, you need to talk to an assortment of "new rig" owners YOU pick arbitrarily; come to your own conclusions. The answers you'll get will take your breath away, I promise.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would agree that the more you post about the coach, the more I would want to walk away. Missing stuff, mismatched tires, etc. just would lead me to think it had marginal care and was rode hard and put up wet.

There are just too many good used rigs on the market to rush into anything. Also agree that if you drop to 2006, you could get into a Revolution which was made on the same line as the higher end American Coaches (Tradition, Eagle, Heritage) and is a much more fully-featured rig. Plus, a Revolution will be a side-radiator rig which will mean less costly and less labor-intensive repairs along the road. Even simple belt changes, water pump/alternator replacement on rear radiator coaches are a tough job. Not so on side radiator models.

Also agree that most RV dealers will do the absolute mininum pre-sale maintenance. 'Fluids and filters' generally means a simple engine oil/filter change and fuel filter/s and maybe oil/filter on the genset. There is much more to proper maintenance on a DP. I would decrease my offer by another $2K and take any used coach to the shop of my choice and have the chassis thorougly serviced.....
Old 09-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #12

Lloyd,
Check the tires date code prior to purchasing any rig over a few years old just so you know what you have.

Reading the Tire's Sidewall - Discount Tire

Chris
Old 09-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #13

Thanks everyone! I am very glad I came here, looks like we have some more to investigate. I thought side radiator units were new, not avail in our price range, didn't realize they were around in 2006/7.

We shop some more!

I do want to stay below 40', I have just over 40' clearence in our barn, would like to inside stor the unit.

Thanks again!

L.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #14

See this while you shop: http://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forum...977#3433958977
I love mine!
hawk57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome