Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2020, 08:35 AM   #1

NEW VS OLD - Is there any real difference?

I am at the FMCA Rally in Indio CA parked next to 20 new DP's wondering if the industry has improved upon the machine in 20 years. If money were no obstacle would there be a good reason to buy new?
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2020, 09:06 AM   #2

All personal preference and choice.

For me if money were no object I would take my old 2000 Newmar Mountain Aire and have a new bull body custom paint job done and enjoy it for another 25 years. The old has the benefit of a drivetrain without all of the modern computerized junk on it to fail.

I was looking at the new MH lineup last year at an RV show in Minneapolis and the dealer I was talking with asked what we had now. When I got done explaining what we had he smiled and told me to save my money and my dreams for another thing because what I had does everything the new motorhomes do and they are costing several hundreds of thousands of dollars. For what these new coaches cost we could feed a third world country for a LONG time. (I take no issue with people spending their money the way they want) Heck I live in a home that I paid less for than the cheapest of class A rvs go for!

Oh on edit...I would like better headlights!
Old 01-07-2020, 09:21 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Even if money was not a consideration I would buy a MH 2-3 years old. Hopefully by that time the original owner has gotten all the bugs out so I could enjoy it without spending half the time in the shop!

Also, the original purchaser will have taken the huge depreciation hit when driving it off the dealer's lot! JMHO
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:54 AM   #4

Is there a better widget made today vs 20 years ago.

I think the Million Dollar coach has the same water heater the $300K one has and the one made 20 years ago, for example.
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:29 AM   #5

You could say the same for cars and houses.

Personally, I enjoy new things, and anything to do with recreation is all mad money. There’s seldom a good (rational) reason to buy any RV.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:43 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Even if money was not a consideration I would buy a MH 2-3 years old. Hopefully by that time the original owner has gotten all the bugs out so I could enjoy it without spending half the time in the shop!

Or the original owner finally got tired of dealing with all the bugs and dumped it for something different...

Quote:
Also, the original purchaser will have taken the huge depreciation hit when driving it off the dealer's lot! JMHO

This is the ONLY advantage we can see with buying a decent, slightly used model!
Old 01-07-2020, 11:54 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
While some would object, for me all the new innovation and tech would be a great reason. I know there are those that would shun a new coach expressly because of all the tech. But I'd guess that they shun new tech everywhere.

We always buy new. I know all the arguments for buying used and reject them all. I want to be the guy that makes all the modifications, repairs and maintenance decisions on my coach.

Lastly, the interior design and modern layouts. CARPET... UGH! Dark, heavy, faux luxury. No thank you. Imagine a 20 year old RV with CRT TVs, fabric furniture, carpeted floors, brocaded valances and mirrors everywhere. And good luck getting a half bath in a 20-year old coach.

I'll take a new one thank you very much.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:42 PM   #8

New and never even have to think about it
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:46 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Last summer I sat next to a fellow RVer who had sold his one year old DP and bought a 5er instead. I asked WHY? and all the high tech stuff was more than they could handle. Made sense as he was having trouble pulling up pictures on his smart phone.

OP, what do you think of the quality of the new rigs?

20 years ago a single slide was new so yes new are better...more slides, BUT if you ask 15 years, then I'd say NO.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:35 PM   #10

My choice is for New, love that new smell, but when I consider the cost and depreciation that comes with new it snaps me back to reality, guess I will keep my 2002.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:59 PM   #11

Without addressing build quality, there have been a few innovations in the last 20 years, more and larger slides are probably the thing that comes to mind first, followed by some more innovative furniture, plus the trend to offer half baths and bunk rooms in larger coaches. Certainly a lot more bling to the interior, marble counter tops, color changing indirect lighting, ... On the technical side of the house you also have centralized control panels that let you do stuff like turn the bedroom lights on from the kitchen. On the chassis side, there have been some changes, more powerful engines on average, ...
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:18 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
New vs old, hmmm.....
Would you say it's crazy to move to a 13 year old Newell w/ 90,000 miles, from what I have now.....?
Would you say that would be equal to a 2-3 year old coach of some other brands with half the miles?
I'm just wondering what you think, as I'm actually considering it. Would you?
One thing I like, it has a 625hp pre-def Cat.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
New vs old, hmmm.....
Would you say it's crazy to move to a 13 year old Newell w/ 90,000 miles, from what I have now.....?
Would you say that would be equal to a 2-3 year old coach of some other brands with half the miles?
I'm just wondering what you think, as I'm actually considering it. Would you?
One thing I like, it has a 625hp pre-def Cat.
https://www.motorhomesoftexas.com/Pr...59650?ref=list
This one? Don't think you will find any new, or almost new coach with the quality of that 13 yr old Newell, at $344000
Old 01-07-2020, 02:44 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Yup, that one.
So I'm not crazy?[emoji16]
Thank you, I think it's a great coach.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote