Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #15
KIX

When the green lights over the door are ON then that's when the 12volt is ON. You want the green lights ON
TV, Microwave are all operated by 120volt shore power (or generator).
All lighting is, on most coaches, 12volt. The overhead lights should work when the green panel lights com ON.
Air conditoiners operate on 120 volt but the controls for the A/C operate on 12 volt.
If your water heater can operate on 120 volt it may be on and be causing your power consumption. Or maybe your A/C is set to come on at a higher temp.
When you turn the 12volt back on the battery charger should start automatically. You should check the house batteries for correct amount of water.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you, will keep all this in mind. Am taking notes!
Another question, does the generator run on diesel only? If I am sitting on the side of the road somewhere with engine off, can I start the generator by just pushing the start switch on the dash? My son thinks I have to "switch something over" first. I have no idea what he might be thinking of. He thought the gen. operated on LP.

2000 Monaco Knight Pusher
Babara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #17
KIX

I hope this helps you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babara View Post
Another question, does the generator run on diesel only?
I don't have a Monaco Knight but I can only imagine that it's a diesel gen in a diesel powered coach.

If I am sitting on the side of the road somewhere with engine off, can I start the generator by just pushing the start switch on the dash?
Yes, if it's a diesel it will click for up to a minute before it cranks. That's normal.

My son thinks I have to "switch something over" first.
The "switch over" should be an automatic transfer switch that defaults to the gen.

I have no idea what he might be thinking of.
Me either LOL

He thought the gen. operated on LP.
If you can open the gen compartment it should have some markings on it like brand, model name, etc. It may even say something like "Quiet Diesel". Take a look as see. You could disco the sore power and start the gen so that you'll know if it automatically switches. The microwave is a good appliance to look at to see if there's power as it only operates on gen or shore power. Once gen starts there is a couple minute delay before power starts.

KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:37 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Babara, you don't let us know where you are located, but if you did, perhaps someone knowledgeable about motorhomes on this forum could come by and show you what you are looking for. There are thousands of members here and I would really be surprised if none of them lived in your city.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:51 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Thank you, will keep all this in mind. Am taking notes!
Another question, does the generator run on diesel only? If I am sitting on the side of the road somewhere with engine off, can I start the generator by just pushing the start switch on the dash? My son thinks I have to "switch something over" first. I have no idea what he might be thinking of. He thought the gen. operated on LP.

Hi Barb, I went on EBAY and bought a little plug in voltage indicating thingy. It shows how much voltage is available at a 110 v. outlet, also doubles as a night lite. It was about 7 bucks. On my coach, it shows me that 110 v. is available from shore power, generator power or inverter power. I can only assume your generator is diesel fuel powered. Look in the compartment and read the data plate on the generator. It will indicate what fuel it uses. If you are on the road, press the start switch. The generator will start and in a minute or two will provide power for all you 110 v. needs. I normally check that the AC's switches are off when I do this to prevent any possible power surge when the generator relays switch to generator power. Then I turn on the AC's switches if needed. Hope you are able to figure out more things on you coach. If you are ever in S.Florida, send me a message, I would be honored to do a complete review of your coach and get you comfortable with it and it's systems.
Regards,
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 11:11 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
My husband kept our Monaco Knight pusher connected to power when parked at our house. I don't remember why--we did keep the furnace on low (but LP, I think) last winter. The overhead & wall lights were working with this power supply, but won't come on now. Any ideas?
I'm a new widow also, with an old Pace Arrow...take care
Mrs.Uhrlaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 07:40 AM   #21

Did you figure out overhead lights yet.
Not same coach but. I had a small fuse panel behind the control center similar to pic shared . The face was held tight with normal cabinet latches.
If you have the wiring diagrams the fuse locations should be in there.
If you don't have wiring diagrams let us know Some in files section other members have a collection of several models and years they freely share.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 08:02 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
Did you figure out overhead lights yet.
Not same coach but. I had a small fuse panel behind the control center similar to pic shared . The face was held tight with normal cabinet latches.
If you have the wiring diagrams the fuse locations should be in there.
If you don't have wiring diagrams let us know Some in files section other members have a collection of several models and years they freely share.
This thread was 11 years old and was brought back one post above yours.