RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2017, 06:59 AM   #15

JohnArch...
Can you elaborate on air brake test reqmts for R endorsement in NY.
My road test is Tues and when I scheduled they said there was no air brake test included?
Only basic maneuvers and backing.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2017, 04:54 PM   #16

It funny you guys should bring this up, my wife and I have been discussing this since we bought our RV 2 months ago. We live in TN and when I read the the manual it stated that you had to have a CDL "B" license for any vehicle over 26,000lbs. I started studying the manual when I came to page 9 which stated that you are not required to have a CDL if you operate an "RV". Go figure. And of course all states are required to go by that if I get stopped. I will keep the manual in my motorhome just in case I get stopped.
Bravesoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:13 PM   #17

There is no requirement for during your driving test for an 'R' endorsement in NYS to do anything with air brakes; if the inspector asks you if you have air brakes, the answer is 'yes'. There is no requirement to demonstrate to the inspector how they work, how to pump them down, or answer any questions on how they work, etc. If they ask you to do this, they are in error and you (if you're brave enough) can challenge them.

I just checked the NYS website and the above is consistent with their documentation.

Yes, I have an 'R' endorsement.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:53 PM   #18

Sounds good. Thanks. Now, if you could let me know how everyone does with their upcoming road tests this week, and what oddities you encounter with the DMV people, that would be great. Thanks!

Tim
TimoPBMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:01 AM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Winemaker2 - Pusherman makes a valid point about the air brakes. If the inspectors were all consistent (as they should be) there would be no problem. I have seen air brake test in Albany sites, and they go unchallenged. I mention it because its serves two purposes - 1. to make sure the driver is aware of low air and its warning and 2. to make sure the vehicle is performing correctly when a low air alarm is sounded.
All they want you to do is "pump" the brake pedal until air is lowered to the alarm level and the yellow brake knob pops out.
You should have no problem with your driving test.
JohnArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:24 AM   #20

OK
Thanks for the clarification and tips.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:36 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
There is no requirement for during your driving test for an 'R' endorsement in NYS to do anything with air brakes; if the inspector asks you if you have air brakes, the answer is 'yes'. There is no requirement to demonstrate to the inspector how they work, how to pump them down, or answer any questions on how they work, etc. If they ask you to do this, they are in error and you (if you're brave enough) can challenge them.

I just checked the NYS website and the above is consistent with their documentation.

Yes, I have an 'R' endorsement.
It may be consistent with their documentation but I was required to perform the air brake test for my R endorsement. I have also told my wife how to do it for her test later today. As with all things NY, it depends a lot on the inspector. Some will require it and some will not.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:49 AM   #22

I wonder if they are requiring it or just having the driver do it to see what happens. Driver education vs testing.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:42 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
I wonder if they are requiring it or just having the driver do it to see what happens. Driver education vs testing.
Interesting observation and one in which you may be correct.

As an update, my wife took the test yesterday and passed as I expected she would. This inspector made no reference to air brakes and barely asked her to do anything other than exhibit basic driving skills. A couple of right hand turns and backing up for about 100 feet. Incredibly basic for driving a 13 ton or more vehicle down the highway at normal speeds. Scary when you think about those that are out there who have never driven anything bigger than their Prius!
Old 09-12-2017, 04:58 PM   #24

Post R Road Test Report

Completed the NY R Endorsement Road Test today.

Checked DL of my accompanying passenger and asked him to wait at curbside

I asked inspector if they would like me to do a pre-test coach inspection, lights, etc - NO - Lets get in a talk over a few things & start paperwork

Wanted to see the coach wt sticker - not the easiest to see in my Ventana but I know where it was and what the Wts were -

Asked if equipped w/ air brakes - YES - Discussed what I look for expect @ start-up - air-up etc - wanted to know what a safe lower limit is - I told her the warning signal goes off at around 100 PSI and normal for me is 110 - 120 PSI - inspector said 90 PSI is lower limit - No further testing.

Proceeded to drive surrounding side streets and a few blocks on a NYS highway. Had an interesting situation - traffic light where had to stop before a cross st to avoid blocking the intersection - when light turned green I motioned a driver waiting at the cross st to proceed before I started out - didn't like that - said I had right of way I should have proceeded ahead and given them a horn if they didn't yield (they had a stop sign - I didn't)

I did roll up very close - maybe 1 ft over line at a corner and was cited for that - stay back when stopping at corners...was also told to keep going where I didn't have a stop sign...it was busy afternoon traffic - school getting out & lots of traffic, trucks & a few school buses - I was just trying to be cautious.

Inspector also mentioned I should be scanning mirrors / rear cameras more - I feel like I do that but move eyes vs turning head... seemed petty but seemed to feel the need to make some corrections

Inspector did request I parallel park the coach on a narrow street - behind another car but none behind.

Not a real challenge but parallel park was not expected.

Good luck to all
Old 09-12-2017, 07:24 PM   #25

That sounds like the same lady who did my test.My daughter who has a class A went with me,I made remark about a little girl having a class A ( daughter about 5'3")she snorted that she also had a class A.when finished she said you passed, barely. Test in Dansville
RobertK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:23 PM   #26

NY R Endorsement Road Test Evaluation Info

With all the recent interest here about R endorsement and the lack of any real useful info from NYS I thought I'd add what I experienced as well as a copy of the evaluation sheet the inspector used.

Also See my comments in above post about the test.

GENERAL
I felt like the inspector (she) felt it necessary to find some problem areas to cite to make a point that there's always room for improvement and they don't want drivers leaving with a "big head" thinking they are doing everything correct.

Inspector pointed out some deficiencies but didn't offer much help re the correct procedures

Inspector didn't seem to have an issue w/ back up / turn cameras being on - in fact she noted benefit of using them and scanning periodically - I would suggest to ask if OK to leave them on or prefer they be off

She asked about air brakes and we had a discussion - I think to see if I understood the basics and need for adequate pressure...but no actual air brake testing

A. Leaving curb - note need to check blind spot not just look in mirrors

B. Turning & Intersections - Stop well ahead of any stop signs /lights - I got too close to X-walk and she mentioned it and cited me - my bad!
Also cited me for not observing adequately - I think I did this fairly well by scanning w/ eyes - I think it may help to exaggerate w/ head movement so they are sure you are looking.

C. Parking, Backing & U-turn - I was asked to parallel park the rig behind another car (but none behind). I don't know if it is necessary to get out and check behind before backing but even w/ checking mirrors and camers she cited me for lack of observation / caution??

D. Driving in traffic - cited for poor judgement - situation noted above - stopped ahead of a light to avoid blocking a side road - when light turned green I let (waved) a car go ahead that was on the side road... immediate comment that that was poor practice judgement - never direct other traffic and if you have the right of way (others had stop sign) I was told to proceed and give them the horn if they did something wrong (seemed pretty picky to me)

E. Vehicle control - I had no issues here. Did have an ambulance / police car approach & go through a red light while I was on green. I just stopped until they were clear so was OK

Hope the above and attached Road Test Evaluation form helps others
It seems like NYS could do a better job of providing info & prepping drivers for the test

I live in the Corning - Elmira area and willing to assist if others are having difficulty finding a qualified driver to accompany them for the test.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NYS R Road Test Eval.pdf (80.6 KB, 74 views)
Old 09-16-2017, 08:15 PM   #27

Seems to be a real issue of who you get for a tester. My experience went like this.

Pulled up to the designated area. Very tight tree lined side street. I am thinking this is where we are doing this?

Tester walks up takes my info and we get in the vehicle. Typical stern type guy I get that is appropriate for a job like this. His first comment is can you get this thing down these streets? I said not with out driving in the middle of the road or ripping an A/C unit off. He said I will tell you where to turn you do your best to follow the rules of the road but protect your rig first.

No air brake discussed. We did all the turns etc. On the parallel parking I asked if I got a prize for being exactly 6" away. He laughed and said the front tire was 6 1/4", no prize. As these were narrow roads there was a lot of waiting behind parked cars to let on coming traffic by. Other than that is was pretty easy.

I had no infractions.
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote