RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2017, 02:58 PM   #15

Duct tape! 1000s of uses!
earlmarsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2017, 03:00 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Zip ties
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 03:02 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
I know you said you are not handy, but you need a kit of screwdrivers (must include square drive) and nut drivers. New RVs have loose fasteners and tight ones loosen over time. Don't pay $100 an hour for this work.

Buy an "Astro-Turf" door mat for your RV.

Get a Shark vacuum.

If not auto-leveling, get stick-on level gauges.

Vent covers so you can use your roof vents in the rain.

Cable TV wire ( 25')

Surge protector (progressive industries)

Tire pressure gauge (100 psi +)

2-way radios for maneuvering/parking.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:24 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Don't forget a rechargable electric screw driver with interchangeable bits or is that heads. Anyways, have one as you are in a rolling earthquake and things will loosen up or fall off.
Make sure your manuals are in a handy location, not caught in a drawer you can't get to,when you really need one. Don't forget vinyl gloves for handling the black water hose and a hand sanitizer that can be kept in the water bay.
A good sense of humour, especially when one of your kids messes up the plumbing system,such as clogging the valve. Perhaps a long pair of rubber gloves too.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:06 PM   #19

First off think about equipping all the household stuff you would put in a vacation cabin. Go room by room, for the kitchen this is not only pots and pans, but pot holders, can opener, spice rack, cooking utensils, plates, bowls, flatware, etc. The bedroom will need a couple of sets of sheets, blankets, pillows, bathroom will of course need RV toilet paper, but also black tank treatment (I use the citrus scented individual sized bottles from Wal-Mart), towels, as well as a separate set of all the personal bathroom items (hair brush, hair dryer, first aid kit, basic over the counter medicines, ...). Then of course you have your outdoor living area, rugs, folding chairs and table, BBQ grill, maybe some awning lights, propane fire pit, maybe one of those astro turf step covers. If you don't already have one you may want to add an "extend a stay" if you have propane tanks on the RV to connect your BBQ grill.

For RV hookup items you will want:

RV power cord adapter, assuming you have a 50 amp coach with built in 50 amp cord, you will also want a 50-30 amp dogbone adapter and a 30 to 15/20 amp adapter. These will let you plug in at a 30 amp only RV site, or into a common household 15 or 20 amp outlet when parked in someones driveway. You will of course be limited on how much you can power, but some electricity beats no electricity any day. I also carry a 25 ft 30 amp power cord (they are MUCH lighter and easier to handle than the big 50 amp cords, and a 100 ft heavy duty 20 amp cord.

On the plumbing side you will want 1 or 2 white drinking water hoses (I carry a short and a long one as RV sites don't always line up with your hookups), you will also want to upgrade to a quality sewer hose, I use a Rhino Flex, you may also need some clear elbows, 45's and a multi size L adapter and/or donut for the sewer connection as you will see all sizes at campgrounds. Don't forget the sewer hose tapered stand, I have a 10 ft model, and wish I had the 15 or 20, since they are needed more when the sewer connection if farther away.

Depending on where you plan to camp you will likely also want some jack pads, maybe even levelling ramps, wheel chocks, etc. On the exterior cleaning side there are many options, but one MUST HAVE is a squeegee on a telescoping pole to clean the windshield.

I am tell you one thing for sure though, the first weekend you spend at a remote location you will find things to add to your list. I would almost go so far as to suggest taking the RV on a test weekend trip to a state park with a Wal-Mart nearby.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierfans View Post
Thanks! How do I find a "local Mobile RV mechanic"? Are most listed online under mechanics? Or is there a referral service of some sort?

For Roadside Assistance is Coach Net the best? Any others folks like?
Just Google it - https://www.google.com/search?q=Mobi...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Check with the closest Campground, as the office usually has a couple on file, and other local sources/Campers/RV stores for recommendations.

Might just be good to go by a CG this Fall and talk with a few campers - You will be surprised how friendly we are. (Shared many a beer or Glass of Wine over the Years)

Again Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:36 PM   #21

Bourbon.
Deep Water D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:51 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Water D View Post
Bourbon.
Let's not leave so many out of the Party

Beer - Wine Red and White - Vodka - I sort of like a Canadian Blend - then a little Scotch for my friends who need it - ...........

Well come to think of it better have a well stocked BAR

Oh the fun has just begun,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:59 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kiemele View Post
I know you said you are not handy, but you need a kit of screwdrivers (must include square drive) and nut drivers. New RVs have loose fasteners and tight ones loosen over time. Don't pay $100 an hour for this work.

Buy an "Astro-Turf" door mat for your RV.

Get a Shark vacuum.

If not auto-leveling, get stick-on level gauges.

Vent covers so you can use your roof vents in the rain.

Cable TV wire ( 25')

Surge protector (progressive industries)

Tire pressure gauge (100 psi +)

2-way radios for maneuvering/parking.
Steve, thanks -- this helps a lot. I am a bit handy, but when I say my husband doesn't know the right end of a hammer, I am NOT kidding! Lol!

It's one of the reasons we went with a higher end coach -- we figure a lot of fancy features can do the work for us lol! So yes thankfully it is self leveling and has fancy rain sensors on the vents that close them automatically if it rains. I will have to look at the vents and see how to use them when it rains!

The two way radios is a great idea! Hadn't thought of that. Don't these things self park?!? 😉
Hoosierfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
First off think about equipping all the household stuff you would put in a vacation cabin. Go room by room, for the kitchen this is not only pots and pans, but pot holders, can opener, spice rack, cooking utensils, plates, bowls, flatware, etc. The bedroom will need a couple of sets of sheets, blankets, pillows, bathroom will of course need RV toilet paper, but also black tank treatment (I use the citrus scented individual sized bottles from Wal-Mart), towels, as well as a separate set of all the personal bathroom items (hair brush, hair dryer, first aid kit, basic over the counter medicines, ...). Then of course you have your outdoor living area, rugs, folding chairs and table, BBQ grill, maybe some awning lights, propane fire pit, maybe one of those astro turf step covers. If you don't already have one you may want to add an "extend a stay" if you have propane tanks on the RV to connect your BBQ grill.

For RV hookup items you will want:

RV power cord adapter, assuming you have a 50 amp coach with built in 50 amp cord, you will also want a 50-30 amp dogbone adapter and a 30 to 15/20 amp adapter. These will let you plug in at a 30 amp only RV site, or into a common household 15 or 20 amp outlet when parked in someones driveway. You will of course be limited on how much you can power, but some electricity beats no electricity any day. I also carry a 25 ft 30 amp power cord (they are MUCH lighter and easier to handle than the big 50 amp cords, and a 100 ft heavy duty 20 amp cord.

On the plumbing side you will want 1 or 2 white drinking water hoses (I carry a short and a long one as RV sites don't always line up with your hookups), you will also want to upgrade to a quality sewer hose, I use a Rhino Flex, you may also need some clear elbows, 45's and a multi size L adapter and/or donut for the sewer connection as you will see all sizes at campgrounds. Don't forget the sewer hose tapered stand, I have a 10 ft model, and wish I had the 15 or 20, since they are needed more when the sewer connection if farther away.

Depending on where you plan to camp you will likely also want some jack pads, maybe even levelling ramps, wheel chocks, etc. On the exterior cleaning side there are many options, but one MUST HAVE is a squeegee on a telescoping pole to clean the windshield.

I am tell you one thing for sure though, the first weekend you spend at a remote location you will find things to add to your list. I would almost go so far as to suggest taking the RV on a test weekend trip to a state park with a Wal-Mart nearby.
Wow thanks for this! Man I am accumulating quite the shopping list! Awesome!!!
Hoosierfans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, newbie