Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2017, 08:42 AM   #1

Newbie Advice for ride handling with different models

Hi,

Thanks for helping. Again, I know i am lacking tons of knowledge and info , but just looking for advice. Thanks

My family is looking to start RVing. I had posted a question about different Rv's before and received tons of info.

Deciding between four Rv's ( i know very differnt ) yes , the history and past care of the Rv's is most important. Would it be smart to spend a bit more and get ( of course depending on a full evaluation of all ) a DP (top two options) or stay stay away? The handing question comes from , Will the DP be easier to handle for elderly driver? I was going to think about adding things to gas RV ( bottom two options ) if we went that route but then starting to add up close to the DP. Thanks so much for all your help !!

1- 1998 HR Endeavor - 5.9L Cummins ( 125K Miles), airride
2- 2000 coachman Catalina Millenium 5.9 Cummins on freightliner airride

3- 2000 Win 35u Gas , on ford
4- 2003 FR G-Town 325s on ford

Thank you very much for the help and my apologies for the lack of knowledge.
Outtoenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2017, 09:25 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to the forums.

The DP will probably be much better as far as ride quality and handling.

I'm sure you seen the price differential between the DP and the gassers. The question I answered for myself, is the handling and ride worth the extra expense of a DP. For me, the answer was no.

Given the age of the two F53s your looking at, I submit that the handling and drivability is acceptable, provided three items are complied with. Check these on your pre-purchase..

1) Cheap Handling Fix (CHF) - This is a simple adjustment of the torsion bar (sway bar) to firm up the side to side motion.

2) SHock absorbers - Given the age, I suspect the shocks need replacing. I opted for the standard Monroe shocks. This was a significant improvement over the worn out shocks.

3) Front end alignment - Verify / adjust that the front end has a slight toe in. no toe, or toe out contribute to handling instability.

If you opt for the F53, don't spend any money on aftermarket suspension devices until you've done the above three items, and then re-evaluate if additional add-ons are really needed or worth the expense.

If you're interested in a lot of F53 stuff, there is a sub forum here, AND, I also documented most of the work I've done on mine on my blog site.

http://www.1999southwind.com/

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:21 PM   #3

A lot depends on the driving history of the buyer. In the mid 90's we bought a 34' Adventurer gasser on a Chevy chassis. The steering wheel was just like our Suburban. My wife could step right in and drive like a champ towing a small car. She felt comfortable driving while I went in the back for a nap and said if just felt like a big suburban. Her comfort zone disappeared when we went to DP's. Didn't even want to try. What has the buyer driven? Was he comfortable and confident? I'm comfortable driving anything of any size, but 50+ years of driving all kinds of big heavy vehicles led to such comfort. Of the models you have listed, go for the floor plan that fits your needs if it passes inspection. I would prefer the Endeavor, but I'm not the one who has to use it.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:19 PM   #4

Thank you both !

The experience is ok on her behalf, but she has not driven anything large in a few years.
Both the DP and Gasser are about equal in size. But I have always driven gasser RV's and that's why I was winder Wondering if the air ride and air brakes and the advantages the DP would make a big difference?

I know Case by Case truly, but insight is always welcomed.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:18 AM   #5

Just cant get a definite answer with the handling of a gaser vs DP both older all 00-02 years. Thanks!!
Old 11-14-2017, 04:56 PM   #6

Wow what a tuff question, not all DP ‘s are created equal due to how many air bags and manufacturer.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:23 PM   #7

So with your experience would you lean one direction? Or model ? I know it's a open question with lots of variables.

Just found Tiifen Used 1996 Tiffin Allegro 32 DP witch may be best condition.
1- 1998 HR Endeavor - 5.9L Cummins
2- 2000 coachman Catalina Millenium 5.9 Cummins

3- 2000 Win 35u Gas , on ford

Or just stick with #3 gasser and deal and make it a better ride if Wife can't drive.

Thanks !!
Thank you very much for the help and my apologies for the lack of knowledge.

Tags
advice, newbie