Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2018, 09:25 AM   #15

Considering that you have the truck, a 5’er makes sense. I know you were thinking toy hauler, your wife is not. If your wife likes the class a better, is it because of the nicer fixtures and homey atmosphere of the class a? If so, you likely can find a fiver with that feel. In fact, you might find a fiver floor plan she likes better than the A, so long as you can give up the big toy storage space. As your wife does not seem to like the toy hauler, it seems probable that you’ll be giving up that style RV.
Or does she like the motorhome because the family can spread out while traveling? If so, weigh the amount of time traveling vs the amount of time stationary. If you foresee setting up camp then staying there awhile while making day trips, perhaps the travel day Comfort is less an issue than if you envsion frequent long days on the road.
WendyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2018, 09:47 AM   #16

MH v.s. 5th W

I went through this study several years ago and went with a 2004 Newmar DSDP. I'm sure glad I did. First of all I have no desire to drive a ruff riding $70K dually as my daily driver. Second, the set for a fiver does not appeal to me. Third, I needed 10K towing capacity.

Go with a used well made MH like the Newmar. Go for one that has been stored inside when not on the road. There are many portable tanks to handle your grey water and they are cheap.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:27 AM   #17

If really long, hot daily showers are a necessity for you, plus the all other water utilization for a family of five, you will have to really think about both fresh and waste tank capacities. You may find it difficult to do long dry camping outings. Campgrounds might better serve your needs.
WendyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:38 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a Class A and love it - but I don't have a truck
If I was you, I'd go with a used toy hauler and save the $$ for the kids collage and your retirement trips.
P.S. I'd also buy a tent for the kids to sleep in occasionally - you will all need private get away time once in awhile
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:41 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
With all those kids 5er
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:27 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
If the wife wants a bit of luxury then I would bail on the toyhauler and look at 5ers without the garage. Some real nice ones with tons of room out there.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:57 PM   #21
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 02:42 PM   #22

We've owned Motorhomes and travel trailers, though never a 5'er. While we are partial to a Motorhome my non-consequence opinion is you are best off with the 5'er. Most of your time will be spent in the unit rather than driving. With the F450 you could even haul a triple axle 5'er, The split 5'er design gives you and Mamma more privacy and quiet time besides much more room.

Personally I'd even pass on the toy hauler concept. You'll "poke your eye out" playing on the ATV you want to rough ride on and you have three young boys who need an intact Dad. Plenty of time for that when their older and less dependent on you. How do I know these things? I held off on getting back into Motorcycles until my kids were in High school.
TarasParents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:19 PM   #23
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Can't really add anything to what others have said. Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:57 PM   #24

You can show her pictures of crashed RVs that will likely convince her of the value of a truck.

And/or have her read articles like this:
RV Motorhome Crash-Worthiness | GrizzlyLaw.com

or something like this:
The Hard Truth of RV Travel With Your Family — The Birth Geek

or this:
https://rvshare.com/blog/safe-rv-travel-with-kids/
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:19 AM   #25
RV LIFE Support Team

We have owned both. As an older couple we have migrated to the MH but really loved our 5th. So much more space than the MH.

You mention a toy hauler therefore you must have toys. You will need to give up taking your toys with you if you purchase a MH.

Safety. With children I would rather have them buckled into the truck and facing the correct direction. In a MH they will be buckled into the sofa and there is no protection at all. No air bags of any sort in a MH. I would think sitting sideways and a sudden stop would be a disaster. These are all moving vehicles and one needs to remember that.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:35 AM   #26

Lots of things to consider; here's one more. HAPPY HOUSE, HAPPY SPOUSE!

It's sort of the same thing, but different.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:54 AM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
What ever you choose, get a very good TENT to take along at all times. You will use it, trust me!
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:36 AM   #28

The more I think about the original question the more I don't like the fiver idea. With 6 year old triplets it's going to take a load of kid stuff on one hand and the shower requirement on the other. A class A or C would both be better choices as they would have a towed the could carry some of the stuff. Either motor home is already set up to dry camp for a night or 3 so no need to get a generator and all the other stuff the fiver does not have. I might even be looking for a Super C.

With kids that size I'd be doing sleeping bags or a fleece blanket and foam pads on the floor. Roll up and stash when not in use. Might as well teach them to do it young so it is a habit. When they get older it can be tent time a lot of the time. You only have 5 or 6 years before life starts interfering with their schedules.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, newbie