RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2018, 12:15 PM   #29

With respect to Class A coaches and concerns about gray tank capacity, check out Foretravel coaches and Motorhomes of Texas. Many Foretravels have gray tank capacity of 110 gal. And they are very well made.
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2018, 01:24 PM   #30

My good camping buddy has a Foretravel and he goes 5 days without dumping. Even his fuel tank is huge, 200 gallons to my approx. 150.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 01:38 PM   #31

Where are you going to be dry camping. AZ and other states it is legal to dump "wash water" on the ground. Keep in mind that it does not include dish water. Once food particles are in the water, it is considered sewage or black water. By using paper plates you can reduce the amount of water needed for dishwashing. Dump any "dishwater" down the toilet. We carry an extra 35 gallons of freshwater on our trailer and transfer it to the motorhome with a 12 volt pump when needed. By dumping your "wash water" as needed, you should be able to dry camp for up to 5 days. Be sure to check the regulations for each area you plan to dry camp.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:24 PM   #32

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My Ambassador comes very close to what you are looking for. Bath and a half, and roomy enough that you may be able to survive! Ours has a 60 gallon gray tank, but I suspect you could rig it to also use the black tank too. Then you'd have a total of 100 gallons.

I suppose tomorrow I could take a ten minute shower with the gray tank dump closed and see how much it fills. With proper water management I suspect you would do OK however.
nehog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:02 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
You may want to look at the Newmar Canyon star 3921 which is there new model toy hauler.. I had the previous model CS 3920 and loved it and with sleeping for 9 there's plenty of room for your crew..
Sicduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:19 PM   #34

We just bought our first ever rv and love it. Never even considered a 5er. Itís a 2000 foretravel. Under 100k and with your $130k budget you could probably find a 2002/3.. It was one of the top of the lines back in the day. All solid wood and very quality built. I can be set up in 5 minutes compared to how long setting up a 5er. Donít regret our choice at allClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2839.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	273.8 KB
ID:	194615
Hdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:24 PM   #35

Crasher; From BLM Long Term Camping

16. Dumping
Do not dump sewage, gray water, or garbage on the ground. This includes motor oil and any other waste products. Federal, State, and county sanitation laws and county ordinance specifically prohibit these practices. Sanitary dump station locations are shown in the LTVA brochure. You must have an LTVA permit for dumping within all LTVA campgrounds.

I'm not aware of any federal or state campground that allows dumping of 'wash water' legally. But, I haven't been everywhere, yet!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:57 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
Crasher; From BLM Long Term Camping

16. Dumping
Do not dump sewage, gray water, or garbage on the ground. This includes motor oil and any other waste products. Federal, State, and county sanitation laws and county ordinance specifically prohibit these practices. Sanitary dump station locations are shown in the LTVA brochure. You must have an LTVA permit for dumping within all LTVA campgrounds.

I'm not aware of any federal or state campground that allows dumping of 'wash water' legally. But, I haven't been everywhere, yet!
Here is a response from the BLM regarding releasing "wash water" from an RV.

(Thank you for your recent questions regarding recreational vehicles (RV) and dispersed camping on BLM lands in Arizona. The answers to your questions are more complicated than originally thought. Although the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) found at 8365.1-1 (3) generally excludes “wash water” from BLM’s prohibition against draining or dumping, it can be specifically prohibited by Supplemental Rules issued for a specific area. This applies equally to RVers and tent campers.

CHAPTER II–BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT, DEPARTMENT OF THE

INTERIOR

PART 8360_VISITOR SERVICES

Subpart 8365_Rules of Conduct

Sec. 8365.1-1 Sanitation.

(3) Drain sewage or petroleum products or dump refuse or waste other than wash water from any trailer or other vehicle except in places or receptacles provided for that purpose;

There are two locations in Arizona where draining wash water is specifically prohibited by Supplemental Rules that have been established and were published in the Federal Register. They are the Long Term Visitor Areas outside of Yuma, Arizona, and Hot Well Dunes Recreation Area east of Safford, Arizona.)

Sometimes regulations can be confusing and contradicting. Whenever one is wanting to dump wash water, they need to be sure they are in an area that allows it. I think some of the confusion comes from the terms used. Grey water can contain dish water and food particles and should only be disposed of at a dump station. Wash water is considered to have no food particles and not harmful to the environment.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:01 PM   #37

As for me, Grey water includes kitchen sink and bath sinks and shower, so just have to use the dump station.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:12 PM   #38

Allow me to be the first to point out one "definitive" fact!
Three 6 year olds?!
You may no longer be employed. But my friend, you are not retired!
SlaterDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:15 PM   #39

Just focusing on a couple of things you mentioned....

Long hot showers....

I think this means you NEED a tankless water heater, OR preferably.... a class A DP with a aqua-hot/hydro-hot/oasis system... the hydronic heating systems give endless hot water burning diesel fuel while dry camping.

Dry camping ......

Air conditioning is going to be a huge factor here unless you only camp in cold locations all the time. If you get a 5er, you need a large built-in generator to power the air conditioning.

If you get a class A DP, they already come with large diesel generators to power everything in the coach.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:33 PM   #40

Foretravel Owners Club
Just a comment or three....
The only drawbacks I see with a 5'r...
It is rare that you will find one equipped with an Aqua-Hot or Oasis continuous flow hot water system & tanks large enough to support those needs. and load carrying capacities.
You may need an on-board generator system..and a built in washer/dryer (or be locked into using those coin-op's provided by the campgrounds).

With your tribe I would be looking for a upper level class A, with either a bunk model or one that has opposing hide-a-beds in the living area.
Your concern about fresh/gray/black water is valid..the larger the better.
Our coach has 110 gal fresh, 112 gal gray and 55 black capacities.
For your shower concerns...A large shower combined with an Aqua-Hot or an Oasis to provide a continuous hot water supply.
Tow capacities. CCC & CGVW is something to really study.. You may find that you need at least 3,000 to 5,000 lbs available for cargo plus a toad. so a tag axle Class A should at least be a consideration..

This is ours, We ordered it in 2002 , now they can be found in the $130k to $175k range some more, some less, depends of course on condition and care that they have received and what if anything they may need to have done .

NOTE! With ANY used purchase ...Have an "in-depth" Inspection completed BEFORE you purchase...

Happy Hunting....(and the fish are biting somewhere near you)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171230_121857.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	459.8 KB
ID:	194622   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171221_112324 (1).jpg
Views:	22
Size:	283.5 KB
ID:	194623  

saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:27 PM   #41

With three 6 year olds, whether a class A or 5'er, you may want to opt for one with a tub!
SlaterDoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, newbie