Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2021, 12:45 PM   #1

Newbie Dummy Mistake -

On my New to Me 2005 Fleetwood Southwind, I'm trying to make as many mistakes as possible while here at the house.

Last night, I fixed the city water going into the RV, there was a small leak between hose and input, and did so. However, since the water has been off or for whatever reason, I did not notice the valve to the Black tank fresh water flush was also open. This morning I saw a lot of water coming from the back of the RV, looked inside and the toilet was overflowing, also soaking part of the floor in the bedroom. We are getting ready to install new wood floors, so all the flooring is off and just the plywood is exposed.

Now, having shut off the water, should I get a dehumidifier for the bedroom area, the edges of the floor are definitely wet, or just use box fans and wait? I'm in Houston, so we most certainly have humidity.
rpennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2021, 12:48 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've had a flood when a PEX fitting broke.

I put a cheap $20 electric heater and a floor fan on the area for a day or so.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:58 PM   #3

Should be able to rent one of these for fairly cheap if you need it dried out quick
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2021, 12:59 PM   #4

Blackwater flush should be different from the fresh water input.
Old 04-13-2021, 01:38 PM   #5

I think I have this right Now

I have attached two pictures. Picture 1 shows how I have the setting now and what I did before, where the valve circled n the right was left open.

Picture 2 shows (I hope) the proper setting for having the RV on city water: Valve A open and valves B and C closed.

If I want to fill the fresh water tank, I should have valves A and B closed and only C open - correct?

To flush the black tank, I should have valves A and C closed and only B open - correct?

If I have made ANY mistakes in these settings, please let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Problem 1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	360.4 KB
ID:	324838   Click image for larger version

Name:	Proper Way.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	344.0 KB
ID:	324839  

rpennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:48 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
On my coach I disconnect the flush hose (at point B in your pic) after I’m done flushing. That way whenever I look at it I’m used to seeing that hose disconnected. I’ve heard some of the horror stories of poo showers from the roof

Also on a system that my wife and kids might have to mess with, I want it to take more than turning a valve to start adding water to the black tank.

It’s good you had just water in your tank when it overflowed.
Old 04-13-2021, 01:58 PM   #7

I did that once and shared it on iRV2. It was suggested and I learned to use a separate hose for flush. Also to use quick disconnects with a male connector for fresh water and female for the flush. Imposable to make that mistake again.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLook View Post
On my coach I disconnect the flush hose (at point B in your pic) after I’m done flushing. That way whenever I look at it I’m used to seeing that hose disconnected. I’ve heard some of the horror stories of poo showers from the roof .
I did that one time when I wanted to fill the black tank and got busy and forgot about it. But nothing went up to the roof as our toilet bowl and an overflow at the lip so the flush water exited into the toilet, overflowing it all over the floor. I was not very popular with the lady of the house!
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 04:05 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I think the roof shower would probably be preferable to flooding the inside for sure! No bueno either way though. It’s something I’m still paranoid about doing. If I’m flushing the tank and have to walk away for a minute I’ll set an alarm on my phone to remind me to come back. Just like a 5 minute timer or whatever.
Old 04-13-2021, 04:22 PM   #10

I would only connect the black tank flush when using. I make a point to never walk away for any reason when the flush is running. if I have to leave the area I turn off water. To many stories of overflowing and I don't want that mess in my RV.
Old 04-13-2021, 04:31 PM   #11

In order to get fresh water into your motorhome, you need valve "A" open.
All valve "C" does it select where the incoming fresh water is going.
Either you are filling your water tank, or you are using city water direct to your faucets.
I tried using a "Y" valve like you are and I found I didn't get as much flow to the black tank flush. I get a much better flush by using a separate hose (plain old garden hose) for the flush operation.
Not as convenient but works better. Plus you don't risk contamination of your fresh water system.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:39 PM   #12

Our middle toilet flush valve stuck open one time and overflowed onto the floor, into the basement and out one of the doors. I opened up the basement and sucked up what I could with a wet/dry vac. Then bought a couple of the above pictured floor fans and let them run for a few days. Everything dried up with no lingering odors or mildew. Thankfully it was fresh water. This happened in July in WI, so we also had humidity. I also would not have the flush tank hooked up the way you had pictured. I can almost guarantee it will happen again. I flush with a separate hose while I am dumping.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:49 PM   #13

An homage to Robin Williams........

NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:56 PM   #14
TR4

Back to your original question. A dehumidifier and box fan would be best for getting the sub-floor dry. I would say one day should get you to a safe level. Or running a fan for about a week should get you down to under 10% moisture. Check with the flooring manufacturer and see what moisture level is acceptable.

P.S. I have a 1965 TR4 as well.

Bill

Tags