RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2017, 04:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJCSF2014 View Post
You wouldn't happen to be on the big Island would you? HPD?

Oahu. And yes. Two more years to pull the trigger.
da808popo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2017, 04:36 PM   #16

Thanks I will look into that.
da808popo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:41 PM   #17

My 2 cents

I would suggest that when you find the 'perfect match' for you that you would contact NRVIA (National RV Inspection Association) and arrange for an in depth inspection especially if you are looking at used. These guys are good and know what they are doing and looking for.
Think of it as a 'Home Inspection' for your RV.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by da808popo View Post
Oahu. And yes. Two more years to pull the trigger.
Congratulations (on the two more years) and thank you for your service. I used to live in Hilo and thought you might be someone I talked to before about retiring and RVing. It's about that time for him too...

Good luck!
BJCSF2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:09 PM   #19

1. We heard from different dealers( Jeff from Transwest CO, Tony from Lazy Days FL, and Angie from NIRVC) we've met on our vacations that we should purchase the RV before I retire due to qualifications. Is this true? When I retire I'll be getting a fixed income from the State so I'm wondering if I have to get the RV in 2019 and store it in between visits until I can make the Mainland a permanent home which would be in 2021.
If your income is going to go down to the point where it would impact financing if you need it, then that makes sense. I would try to figure out if you could qualify for whatever loan you need based on your future income, because ideally you'd probably want to buy when you start using it.

2. Which manufacture and model is the most reliable out of the following. We are looking at Newmar Essex, London Aire, Mountain Aire, and Dutch Star. Entegra Cornerstone, Anthem, and Aspire. Tiffin Zephyr and Allegro Bus. My wife is very particular and wants the comforts of home so that means nothing less then a 40' class A. I'm kinda wide so a large shower and elongated residential toilets are a must. I really don't want to spend more then $300,000 so we are looking more at the used ones. I know that it is inevitable that I will have problems but I would like to mitigate it as much as possible.
I think those are all pretty well regarded brands. I know Entegra seems like it has a lot of loyal following, and if I were looking for a DP would probably put one of those at the top of my list.

3. We are planning on buying a used RV but brand new if we decide to go with the Dutch Star. One of my biggest worry is learning the systems. I don't expect a private owner to give me a 2-3 day PDI. Could I drive the RV to the factory and would they have a technician explain to us the different systems in the RV. So would you suggest private owned or dealer?
Read the manuals, cover to cover. I think you'd find a lot of owners would probably be willing to help you.

4. If we do decide to go with the Dutch Star we would have to do everything via phone and email. Could we still get deals off MSRP on ordered RVs from the dealer? If we can how does that work. Do we send an order sheet to the dealer and the amount we want to pay? Or would we get a better deal if we buy a RV off the lot? Since I am out of state which state tax would I be paying?
We got a better deal by ordering. Inventory was low, and they wanted to keep the one they had coming in of our model to sell. It was a win/win. They didn't have to carry the cost of inventory, and we got to order it exactly as we wanted it.

4. Since we are in Hawaii it is difficult for us to go back and forth to inspect potential RVs. Is there a reputable inspection company or person I could hire that would go to were the potential RV is, make a thorough inspection and written report, and give us good advice to purchase or not purchase? I know there would be a cost but I would rather pay for an inspector then for high cost repairs.
Personally I would try to narrow down my focus to exactly what I was looking for, possibly come to the mainland to visit a huge dealer or rv show, and then focus the search. An RV inspection is going to be a couple hundred a pop, so I would only go that route on ones I was pretty solid on.

5. From what year should I be looking at when searching for a RV?
IDK, that's entirely dependent on your budget and what you're looking for. I personally prefer no more than 5 years old, though we just bought new because we couldn't find any late model units used that were actually less than ordering. (Low inventory, and high demand model, I think were the issues for us.)

6. I saw the Americans Mailbox video on RTravel and we are interested in making our residence in a low tax and insurance state. If I store my RV at NIRVC in Texas can I still show South Dakota as my residence and pay SD fees? Is there any other low tax and insurance state like South Dakota closer to the west coast I could store my RV?

I'd advise you to store and tag your rv in your state of residence, which is complicated by your current residency situation. I'm sure someone will be able to better advise you on this one.
wildeflowers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags