Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to rccrafters69
Newbie has a basic question

We're looking to buy a new A class gas motorhome. We've be lookng at Thor Hurricanes and Daybreaks. All the units don't have spare tires. I don't think I want to be changing tires if there is a flat but if you have service on the road I think having a spare available is the way to go.

Is it standard practice to not have a spare supplied with a new unit?

What is the best way to go? Is Good neighbor Sam the way to go for on road service?

Thanks for your help
Ed
rccrafters69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If your tire size is 19.5, you might be able to put an unmounted tire in a compartment...maybe mounted. For the 22.5s, not much hope for us gassers. I have an unmounted tire I saved from a front tire change and haven't been able to find a spot to store it. Been thinking of a piggy-back mount on the Jeep's spare tire. Besides with the torque valves that the lugs require, I won't be changing one. From everything I've read, Coach Net is well respected - and that's what we have. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have room, I'd feel much better with at least an unmounted spare tire. If you are out in the middle of no where and ruin a tire, you may have problems locating a spare to be put on a rim.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #4

I was able to fit a 22.5 tire in the pass thru rear compartment in my 2008 Southwind 34G, but after carrying it for about 3 years I decided to not carry it anymore because the tire was about 8 years old and I had other things to store in the space.
I'm just hoping that Coach Net can find a service which has tires if I ever need it.
We have had Coach Net for about 10 years and have had great service from on the two occasions we've called.
JimColeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:07 PM   #5

I also don't have a spare so I carry an insurance policy that will tow me to a place to have it changed. I understand that the cost of the tire is my responsibility but much of the other cost is covered.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #6
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
Coach net is my spare tire.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:34 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
How do they compare to Good Sam?

If you've got a trailer hitch, it's fairly trivial to set something up on the tow hitch via receiver to carry a spare...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:27 AM   #8
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
We are Good Sam Members however for the road service we use Coach net have been with them for many years have used them 3 times service was great. in 2001 we bought our first DP and at the time a free 1 year Coach-net subscription was included with the deal and we have been with them ever since. DW looked in to the details of Good Sam road service and she is the one who decided to stay with Coach-net. I have heard nothing negative about the Good Sam plan.
You definately could have a spare tire carrier made for your trailer hitch at your local welding shop though.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to rccrafters69
Thanks for the input. Another newbie question. Coach net sounds good but I am not familiar with it. Where can I get info?
Ed
rccrafters69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrafters69 View Post
Thanks for the input. Another newbie question. Coach net sounds good but I am not familiar with it. Where can I get info?
Ed
Here: NMC | Roadside Assistance - RV Plans

Whether or not to carry a spare is dependent on your intended travel routes. Going thru Canada and some areas of the west, I wouldn't be without one.

Some people have mounted their unmounted 22.5" tires, with vinyl cover, on the roof. Block and tackle setup, and plastic sheets, to protect the RV during lifting/lowering.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Here: NMC | Roadside Assistance - RV Plans

Whether or not to carry a spare is dependent on your intended travel routes. Going thru Canada and some areas of the west, I wouldn't be without one.

Ditto on Coachnet and if you search the forum on this topic I'll bet you find that members here prefer them 10:1.

I don't carry a spare because I just don't want to 1) give up the storage space and/or 2) have an unsightly spare tire mounted on my coach or toad.

If I traveled in remote areas a lot I might change my views but for our type of travel Coachnet is our spare.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP View Post
We are Good Sam Members however for the road service we use Coach net have been with them for many years have used them 3 times service was great. in 2001 we bought our first DP and at the time a free 1 year Coach-net subscription was included with the deal and we have been with them ever since. DW looked in to the details of Good Sam road service and she is the one who decided to stay with Coach-net. I have heard nothing negative about the Good Sam plan.
You definately could have a spare tire carrier made for your trailer hitch at your local welding shop though.
So if you're with Good Sam, why sign up with coach.net?
Also, my insurance carrier (progressive) has roadside assistance/towing...
We're going to do 2400+ miles in July in a 12 year old coach... Educate me.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:33 AM   #13
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
Well, although we are Good Sam Members we have only the basic membership which does not include road side assistance that is a seperate deal.
Although my RV insurance does include road side assistance it is very limited when compared to Coach-Net.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
I dont have a spare but wish I did, just for my own peace of mind. I dont intend to ever change one, that is what roadside assistance is for. I am getting ready to change out tires and plan on keeping the front tires and figuring out some way to carry one unmounted, either in a bay, my tow vehicle or maybe underneath the bed. Lots of folks travel without a spare, me included. Having an unmounted tire could be a big plus if you have flat. You would then have a tire that matched your other tires and the roadside assist folks could change it out. If you do get a spare remember it ages just like the ones on the ground.

Tags