Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2017, 02:17 PM   #1

Newbie here!!!!

Hello, this will be my first time buying an RV. It's a 1997 Bounder by Fleetwood 37 ft with one slide out. Has the 460 engine. The RV has 90,000 miles on it. The outside looks great! The inside shows some signs of leaking from the vents on the roof. The engine has a broken spark plug in the head. The old guy tried to use a easy out to remove the plug but broke the easy out into the plug. I'm sure the roof will need to be replace since its the original from factory. Its black. The old guy (73 yrs old) told me that the RV worked great before parking it. He said the only thing that it will need is, the plug fixed, leaks fixed and a diode to let the slide out. He said that he gave $17,000 for it 5 years ago from a preacher. He gave me a price of $3,000 to buy the RV. I told him that I would be interested in for $1,500. He said that he will take $1,500 for it. Is that a good price or should I pass up the deal?? Its been sitting for maybe 2-3 years.
aramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2017, 02:38 PM   #2

Welcome to the group. I had a bounder similar in age and length to what you describe. I had the V-10 But never had the spark plug issue but have been told it is not that uncommon. I was told by my mechanic the best way to prevent the issue was to change the plugs every 50-60,000 miles. My shop charged $400 to change all the plugs. As for the roof, new skins are available. But first I'd give it good cleaning and seal all the openings. No suggestions on the slide. When you get it restored you will know if you got a good deal or not. Good Luck!!
Old 12-06-2017, 02:41 PM   #3

Pics of the 97 Bounder!

Pictures of the 1997 Bounder 37ft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	625
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	184923   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	184924  

Name:	image4.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	299.7 KB
ID:	184925   Click image for larger version

Name:	image8.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	569.9 KB
ID:	184926  

Name:	image6.jpg
Views:	630
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	184927   Click image for larger version

Name:	image9.jpg
Size:	364.0 KB
ID:	184928  

Name:	image5.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	247.8 KB
ID:	184929   Click image for larger version

Name:	image12.jpg
Size:	391.5 KB
ID:	184930  

Name:	image10.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	391.7 KB
ID:	184931   Click image for larger version

Name:	image11.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	336.4 KB
ID:	184932  

Old 12-06-2017, 02:46 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
We;lcom,

Sounds like a good price if the bones are in good shape. i.e. appliances work or are fairly easy to fix..

If you pull the heads, its a good time to do a valve job and slap new head gaskets on it.

Your black roof should be white.. If it is clean and its black, you probably have a EPDM roof (Not TPO roof)...

It can either be replaced or re-coated.. If the membrane is in good shape, I'd re-coat it.

I re-coated the roof on my old Mirada. Check out the article and the video..

http://www.2001mirada.com/re-coating-epdm-roof/

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:49 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Also remember that around here 73 isn't an "Old guy"!!!!
Good luck with it.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:51 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Sounds like a steal to me! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
Good luck with it.
I'm Not quite there but close enough??? Welcome to iRV2

You probably won't know for sure how much the fixes will be until you start pulling things apart. If you tear into it and things are much worse than expected you won't have a lot invested and can probably get your money back or more by parting things out.

If you are handy and not afraid of some sweat equity it doesn't seem like a bad deal.
Good Luck
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:48 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
Good luck with it.
True!
I'll be 71 next month.

OP: if you're prepared to do a lot of the work yourself it could be a good deal. Paying to have it done: not so good.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:02 PM   #9

Looks like a LOT of mold and mildew. I would run away and not look back.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:21 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I am the old guy here and above 80.
Back to coach the 460 is a good engine you just need to get the broken plug out and take a look at the manifold mounting bolts and see if they are all in place, if you even think you hear a gun go off it maybe one of the bolts snapping off as manifolds heat up.
You need to be as quick as possible check all the seams around vents for sealant and a leak can be from a poor cut of roof fabric under the sealant.
Looks like all the windows need sealant checking also plus the two end caps with the roof seam match up.
Change all fluids and dates of tires.
This link can help with appliance and other things to fix.
If no ripples in sidewalls with some work for that money you should have a good starter coach.
Buy yourself a large tarp to cover.
This link will help in getting around irv2 and welcome by the way.
Good luck in your decision.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";3932729]I am the old guy here and above 80.
Back to coach the 460 is a good engine you just need to get the broken plug out and take a look at the manifold mounting bolts and see if they are all in place, if you even think you hear a gun go off it maybe one of the bolts snapping off as manifolds heat up.
You need to be as quick as possible check [B][URL="http://rvroofingsolutions.com/
all the seams[/URL][/B] around vents for sealant and a leak can be from a poor cut of roof fabric under the sealant.
Looks like all the windows need sealant checking also plus the two end caps with the roof seam match up.
Change all fluids and dates of tires.
This link can help with appliance and other things to fix.
If no ripples in sidewalls with some work for that money you should have a good starter coach.
Buy yourself a large tarp to cover.
This link will help in getting around irv2 and welcome by the way.
Good luck in your decision.
Thank you so much for the input on the coach! I really appreciate it. I just don't want to get burnt on the deal. Haha... I don't have the funds to buy a new one or next to a new RV. I think the only thing that bothers me is not knowing if the leaks around the vents are toxic black mold or just from the black roof dripping onto the upholstery inside the RV.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:16 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Also consider this. TIRES. Six new tires are gonna run you in the $2000 plus range. That's before you do any repairs. The cabinet that appears to house the microwave is shot. How many others look like that one ? As was already stated you have mold issues already. Do you have any delamination issues ? Have you looked at the underside to see if the brakes are any good ($400-$1000)

$1500 may seem like a great deal but unless you are super handy ,you've got some major expenses ahead of you. With all that said I did but a 1984 class C for $1200 and had to repair the roof, work on the fuel delivery system and have major work done on the generator. I was able to help in the repairing of the roof and the fuel delivery system. The generator was done by someone who actually knew what they were doing. I might not run from it but it is going to require time and money. Do you have both ??

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
Also consider this. TIRES. Six new tires are gonna run you in the $2000 plus range. That's before you do any repairs. The cabinet that appears to house the microwave is shot. How many others look like that one ? As was already stated you have mold issues already. Do you have any delamination issues ? Have you looked at the underside to see if the brakes are any good ($400-$1000)

$1500 may seem like a great deal but unless you are super handy ,you've got some major expenses ahead of you. With all that said I did but a 1984 class C for $1200 and had to repair the roof, work on the fuel delivery system and have major work done on the generator. I was able to help in the repairing of the roof and the fuel delivery system. The generator was done by someone who actually knew what they were doing. I might not run from it but it is going to require time and money. Do you have both ??
Hello, thanks for the reply. The RV will need both front tires, the other 4 are in good shape. I figured the cabinets needs to be redone. My wife has it already on the "Hunny Do List". She watches too much of HGTV renos. She's wanting to replace the carpet with wood flooring, and put her own touch of style to it. As far as I know the guy told me everything else works great. I haven't heard it run yet due to the broken plug. I will also need another battery to turn the engine over. The guy has about (20 lbs) of paper work for the service log. What would be the value as is of the RV?
Old 12-06-2017, 07:56 PM   #14

The old guy (73 yrs old)

Watch your tongue naive. I'm 75 and still take my modified Jeep into the mountains looking for the most challenging trails/waterfalls to climb. I do it with other old, old, old guys. One is 85 years young. No one has actually come up and told us we were too old, so we just keep crawling.

As for that bounder, it looks like a good buy, but as some have said, it could turn into a money pit with no bottom. If those four tires that you say are in good shape are over 7-8 years old, they should be replaced too. Even the best of motorhomes can suck up the funds. In the condition you described, whatever you're willing to pay is the value.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags