Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2021, 02:48 PM   #1

Newbie just starting

We, wife and I are considering getting a used class A rv. The plan is to buy in Florida and live in it there for January, February & March then store it.
The plan is to spend about a month in a location then move someplace else, but staying in Florida.
For example a month in the Keys, a month east coast and a month west coast.
I know little about RV's but at this point I'm leaning toward a gas motor.
The thinking is we will be driving the thing 4 - 5 times a season and only in Florida....hence almost no hills to climb. And the max on any trip would probably be about 200 miles. All in I can't see putting more than 1,000 miles a year on the motor.
That said, can anyone give a suggestion on the best gas motor for this type of use? I have noticed pretty favorable mentions about the Chevy 8.1L. Any good? Something better?
Thanks for any advice and probably lots more questions to come!
Irishwake is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2021, 03:19 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Since you aren't moving far of often, having a motorized RV doesn't make much sense anyway - a trailer would be better and have it professionally moved. But yes, a gas-chassis coach would be fine if that's what you want. Don't sweat the engine brand or mechanical deatils - the coach will come on either a Ford or Workhorse chassis and be equipped with either Ford or GM engine. Either is very capable and decent quality. Focus on the coach "house", not the mechanicals. You are spending a lot more time living in it than driving!
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 03:37 PM   #3

I think going with a fifth wheel would give you more bang for the buck, lots of room minimal maintenance etc., DP and even gas rigs need to be run more than 1000 miles a year, if you think in the near future you may use on longer trips then IMHO go for the class A.
Good luck
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 03:39 PM   #4

Forgot to say, Welcome to the forum.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:19 PM   #5
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Yes, welcome to the forum.

So I'm confused. You will only use the motorhome in Florida? ...and only for a few months during the winter? But then you say that you might spend a month on the west coast, a month somewhere on the east coast, a month in the Keys, etc. ...that means WITHOUT the motorhome?

I too don't see the point in getting a motorhome if it's never going to leave the state. If you are going to DRIVE it to the west coast, etc. for that month you want to stay there, then it makes more sense.

To store it most of the year aside from the January, February, and March doesn't make sense to me.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:25 PM   #6

Sorry Roc, should have been clearer.
West coast of Florida and East coast of Florida. Just planning on leaving New England winters behind.
Thought about a condo but don't want to be tied to one location.
We spend 3 months in the summer on our boat so I figure the RV will just be a land yacht!
Old 03-04-2021, 06:18 PM   #7

I get the planned use. We hit FL for a way to get away in cold mos and boat back in NY / Canada / etc in summer.
If you own or have use for a truck a trailer of 5th wheel is an economical choice as you aren't buying a motor & chassis that won't be used much. If you stay with a motorhome a gasser will be more than adequate.
Focus on layout and accommodations you will have to live with and much less on chassis & engine that will only be used a few times / year.
It will be more difficult to make 1 month reservations in 3 places. You might consider 3 mos at a location one year, 3 mos at another the next etc.
What you propose is not impossible, just adds some logistics difficulty.
Start early got reservations... we already have March 2022 Res and have had them for a couple months. Some places won't take 1 month until much later to see if they can fill with 3+ mo stays.
I know of one park that rents on a 6 mo basis and allows storage of a unit on your site the other 6 mos. You might consider that as a base of operations and do some shorter excursions to see some sights.
PM me if that is of interest and I can provide details. It is more center of the state so not on the water east or west.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:05 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good information to share. Read the various threads here and ask questions as they come up or add information if you can.

That will be a lot of money and upkeep for a couple of months use. Why not just rent a different unit in various parks as you want.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:33 PM   #9
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishwake View Post
Sorry Roc, should have been clearer.
West coast of Florida and East coast of Florida. Just planning on leaving New England winters behind.
Thought about a condo but don't want to be tied to one location.
We spend 3 months in the summer on our boat so I figure the RV will just be a land yacht!

Ah, ok, I think understand now. No, that was my fault. I didn't read and interpret that correctly.

Are you looking for a new or used coach? If a new or late model coach, it most likely will be built on a Ford F53 chassis and the most ubiquitous engine will be the newer 7.3L V8 but there are also a few using the tried-and-true Triton V10 6.8L (long thread on iRV2 last year on the comparison)

As has already been mentioned, I really wouldn't put too much importance on the motor but concentrate more on floor plan that works the best for you. And if you're looking for an older coach, you also will see those built on the Workhorse chassis using that GM Vortec 8.1L V8 you have referenced. There should be lots of threads here on it if you do a search ...or I just did the search so go HERE.

Also there has been lots of discussions on the forum about one engine vs the other ...here's a current thread that is discussing it:

V10 vs the Workhorse Engine. Any comments?

But again, choose the floor plan you like and works best for you and the features you want inside the coach instead of making the choice focusing on the engine might be a better way to approach it (unless you just have to have a GM engine). We can have all kinds of fun debating the merits of the various engines and transmissions but if you're staying inside a coach you don't like living in or doesn't have the features you wish, I think it will have more of an impact than if you have a Ford or Chevy engine as they both have good and bad points. *sigh* the old "chevy-vs-ford" pi**ing contest.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:23 AM   #10

Amazing the number of homes or condos you can rent on line today for not much more than what some RV parks charge for you to bring your own bed during the winter in Florida. The costs of buying even a trailer to find out if you like Florida doesn’t add up to me. Insurance on a motorhome will be $1000+ and doubt you’ll can store it for 9 months for less than $2000. $3000 will get you a nice month rental except in the keys.

No way would we store our motorhome in Florida for 9 months between the humidity during the summer and worrying about hurricanes. RVs have wheels under them for a reason. If you were getting out of boating and would use a motorhome 6 months then YES buy one.

PS: rvs do not go up in value, especially if you buy currently in this sellers market.
Sandy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:12 AM   #11

Hi guys, thanks for the advice/opinions. Certainly a lot to digest.
We have decided we don't want to be towing and if we pull the trigger will go with a class A.
As this will be our first one we will be looking used, probably in the 2007-2014 range. Something that the depreciation will have leveled out on.
Our thinking is that after a season or two we we'll know if it fits our lifestyle. What we like and don't like etc.
Assuming we buy it "right" at that point we should be able to sell it and get something without wheels, or move up into something more suitable with wheels.
I'm looking at it in the same way I looked at when we got into boating. The 1st, and 2nd boat were just trial runs to find out what we really wanted and would work for us.
By the 3rd boat we had it figured out! I'm looking at an RV through the same lens.
Anyways, thanks for the help as we navigate our way through the process.

Tags