Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2016, 05:55 PM   #1

Newbie Looking for tires, AND HELP

I just bought a class A with 7 year old tires that I am looking to replace even though they look fine. One dealer is recommending Koryo, made in China. the tires are 245/70R 19.5, stamped with an H rating (16ply). The price is right $1200 for 6 out the door. Saving $200.00 plus. . Another dealer offered Samson's with an F (12ply) rating at $1400+. Both dealers seem to be reputable.

Does anyone have experience with either brand.

I am a firm believer that the pain of a few dollars saved on an inferior product is hard to bear in the long run.
stanzarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2016, 06:39 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"stanzarv"....There is a really good quality tire that will give you a great ride. It's the Hankook AH-11 in your size. I installed them on the front of my previous coach and they rode beautifully.

If you do a search regarding Hankook tires, you'll see a lot of great reviews. I wouldn't trust the two brands you're looking at.

Go to Grand American Tire in Simi Valley (L.A. Avenue between Erringer and First) and ask for Eddy. He'll order the Hankooks for you and do a good job installing them. You'll want to balance them with beads, which they offer. I guarantee you'll be very happy with the ride.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:47 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Here are some links, mostly discussing Samson tires, the first one does discuss Koryo tires.

If you need more information you can use the search feature to bring up more threads on these brands or others. Use the search feature towards the top middle of the page.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/new-tires-256342.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/samso...-209877-3.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/inst...ay-254041.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/sams...on-254338.html
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:51 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Search the two brands using the search feature and you will find much feedback methinks.

The Hankooks that Don recommends have very good feedback here from owners. Toyo are also a well commented brand. These two are likely first on my consideration list the next time I put on new tires.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:59 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I put Sumitomo on mine same size tire as yours and I like them. Had goodyears before that and the sumitomo is so much smother and quieter than my Goodyears .
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:35 PM   #6

I'm in agreement with the others here.

Personally, I'm not yet quite convinced that tires from Chinese manufactures (both of the brands you mention are from Chinese manufacturers) are the way to go. They are definitely cheaper. But as your sentiments in the last paragraph seems to indicate, the cheapest way is not always the most prudent.

On the other hand, I refuse to pay the premium prices for tires from the top-tier manufacturers such as Goodyear and Michelin. That's why, I'm a firm believer in the second-tier manufacturers, especially the ones based in either South Korea or Japan (and both allies of the U.S.). I personally am not quite ready yet to buy a third or fourth-tier tire for RV use.

So yes, the South Korean Hankooks that Don and Vince recommend would be an excellent choice. The Hankook AH11 has been around for a long time and has had some excellent reviews by RVers and truckers alike. I've read many reviews about the smooth ride, ease of balancing, good handling, and it being just a good quality tire. As you may or may not know, Hankook tires are being used as OE on many new cars, including Mercedes-Benz, Audi, BMW, Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Lincoln, and Chrysler.

The Japanese Sumitomos that mavric65 mentioned would also be a very good choice. I think it's the ST718 that the RVers are using with excellent reviews.

And another Japanese tire that a huge number RVers are happy with and give very good reviews is the Toyo M143.

All three of these brands will cost a little more than those two Chinese tires you mentioned but way less than the top-tier comparable Goodyear or Michelin.

There are other tier-two tires that you can also consider but those three are probably the most popular second tier tires amongst RVers.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:14 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've never heard of Koryo, but I've talked with some folks online and in person who are quite pleased with their Samsons.

As to other brands, I did some research a while back. Exact details escape me now, but the bottom line is that generally there are just a few tire manufacturers in the world, and they own all the others. Goodyear, I believe, is substantially owned by a British Corp. but still manufacture a lot in the US. Largest tire producer in US is Michelin, a French co. Sumitomo manufactures in many countries including US, and owns a host of brands- some that sound Japanese and some that don't. Many brands of tire are made in Chinese factories, not just the Chinese brands.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat330, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:52 AM   #8

I could never understand why price plays such a big role when buying tires. Ask yourself what is the best quality tire worth to you. If for instance, Michelin is the best quality tire available and it will cost you $800 more for a set, would you buy them?? The difference between the top quality tire and the cheapest Chinese tire is pretty minimal when spread over the eight year useful life of our RV tires. $800 spread over eight years is $100 per year. At 6000 miles per year, it's a little over 1 1/2 cents per mile. At 8000 miles, it's a penny per mile. What is the safety of your family worth? What is peace of mind worth? Personally, I run Goodyear or Michelin, because they have never failed me and my family's worth it.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:17 AM   #9
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I could never understand why price plays such a big role when buying tires. Ask yourself what is the best quality tire worth to you. If for instance, Michelin is the best quality tire available and it will cost you $800 more for a set, would you buy them?? The difference between the top quality tire and the cheapest Chinese tire is pretty minimal when spread over the eight year useful life of our RV tires. $800 spread over eight years is $100 per year. At 6000 miles per year, it's a little over 1 1/2 cents per mile. At 8000 miles, it's a penny per mile. What is the safety of your family worth? What is peace of mind worth? Personally, I run Goodyear or Michelin, because they have never failed me and my family's worth it.
You don't have to buy a Ferrari when a Cadillac will do!
Tier 2 tires are every bit as good as Tier 1 without all the advertising.

I've had 3 sets of Toyo's until I found the Hancooks. I put AH12's on my last two coaches and liked them a lot and they were $900 less per set than the Toyo's and $2100 less than the Michelin's!

My family survived quite nicely without Michelin's and in fact we lived better as it put more food on the table with $$$ saved.

Personally, though, I would stay away from the truck brands like Samson, Double Coin and Hercules, etc. Not that I have experience with them, just a preference.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
You don't have to buy a Ferrari when a Cadillac will do!
Tier 2 tires are every bit as good as Tier 1 without all the advertising.

I've had 3 sets of Toyo's until I found the Hancooks. I put AH12's on my last two coaches and liked them a lot and they were $900 less per set than the Toyo's and $2100 less than the Michelin's!

My family survived quite nicely without Michelin's and in fact we lived better as it put more food on the table with $$$ saved.

Personally, though, I would stay away from the truck brands like Samson, Double Coin and Hercules, etc. Not that I have experience with them, just a preference.
True, but once you drive a Ferrari, a Cadillac just won't do. I have to wonder why some tires are rated tier 1, or 2, or 3, etc. Why would a tier 2 tire be just as good as a tier 1, but not rated a 1? If that were the case, why have any tiers at all? Just say that the $100 tire is just as good as a $500 tire. Where does one draw the line. You say to stay away from certain truck brands of tires, but others have good results with them.........for now. Like you said, we all have a preference as to what is the lower limit that we will not go beyond.

This forum is made up of people that have formed their own opinions and preferences. Mine is not to cut corners when it comes to tires, but that's just me.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
True, but once you drive a Ferrari, a Cadillac just won't do. I have to wonder why some tires are rated tier 1, or 2, or 3, etc. Why would a tier 2 tire be just as good as a tier 1, but not rated a 1? If that were the case, why have any tiers at all? Just say that the $100 tire is just as good as a $500 tire. Where does one draw the line. You say to stay away from certain truck brands of tires, but others have good results with them.........for now. Like you said, we all have a preference as to what is the lower limit that we will not go beyond.

This forum is made up of people that have formed their own opinions and preferences. Mine is not to cut corners when it comes to tires, but that's just me.
I agree with what Dogpatch has said (which essentially mirrors my previous post).

"Tire tiers" in the tire industry (from what I'm told as I'm not in the industry) are primarily determined by PRICE.

So, top-tier or first-tier manufacturers are generally ones who charge the most for their tires. So from my understanding, the current top-tier manufacturers are Michelin, Goodyear, and Bridgestone. Why do they charge the higher prices? It's not necessarily because they are "BETTER" tires but because they spend the most for marketing and advertising and therefore have to charge higher prices.

Now, to me --and I know you disagree-- the second-tier manufacturers make products that are just as good as some of the products from Michelin or Goodyear ...and for a lot less money. Again, we're mainly paying for the increased cost for marketing and advertising when buying Michelin tires.

Heck, there may be some tires from the Chinese manufacturers that are just as good a Goodyear tire (actually, some Goodyear tires are actually made in China). But just about all the tires from Chinese manufacturers are a LOT less money than a Michelin or Goodyear tire.

As people on this forum report, Samson --a Chinese-based manufacturer-- is a good tire and many give it excellent reviews. Myself, I prefer the second-tier tires as "I believe" (and I know you don't) that Toyo, Hankook, Yokohama, Sumitomo, etc. all make some excellent products.

For me (and I know you don't agree), I refuse to pay the premium prices for Michelin or Goodyear for RV tires. However, there are some Michelin tire models for cars that seem to have tread wear ratings that far outshine a less expensive tire from a second-tier manufacturer. If that is the case, I may buy a Michelin tire for my car or pickup as I have done in the past.

This was what I've gathered from my own research and from talking with several in the tire industry. As you say, we all have our own opinions on this forum. That is mine and I know others agree. Yes, others agree with you as we all know from these threads. We all have to determine what's best for us.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:29 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have Michelin's on all my vehicles EXCEPT the MH. The MH came new with Michelin's which started cracking at about 2 years. I replaced them with Toyo's for $1400 less than Michelin's. The Toyo's are now 4 years old and have no cracks and still look like new. I have read on iRV2 that Michelin is now giving some folks credit on their cracked tires.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:26 PM   #13

As I have said before, everyone has an opinion. I was having rapid wear on some Chinese trailer tires and even a blowout on one. The pressures were always at or above the recommended minimums for the load they were carrying. My son's business ended all heavy implement trailer tire failures by switching from Hercules and Roadmaster to Goodyear commercial 614 tires. They are twice the cost, but with no failures in two years, they are cheaper to run. I just put a set on my enclosed trailer. Just over $300 each (w/tax, mounted, and installed) but was just tired of the cheap ones. I have a friend traveling in a 97 Pace Arrow w/tag and he just had his third blowout in 3400 miles. I did not recognize any of the brand names when he was here last week and can't tell you what they were. They were not made in the USA. As they have failed, he has had to take whatever was available. The last blowout was in Nebraska and he got stuck with a $400 service call including the tire. The failed tires, 235X85R16 LRE, were three years old and he carries the max of 80 psi. He has 1100 miles to go to get back home and hopping for no more problems. He is wishing he had spent more money three years ago when he put on a new set of lower priced bargain tires. As it is, he is spending more now than if he had bought better tires to begin with.

The fact that I have never had a tire failure with Michelin or Goodyear along with the reliability improvement my son's business has seen, I am not willing to use anything else, especially some off brand low priced tire that some think is just as good as the Tier 1 tires. I personally don't care what works for someone else. I just know what works for me.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:12 PM   #14

Well, I did say that I wouldn't purchase a tire from a Chinese manufacturer at this time. One reason is that the quality of some of the brands are probably not quite up to par yet. I've never heard of Koryo so would be a bit hesitant to begin with. The second is that from a political standpoint (but not from a trade imbalance stance), I really don't want to purchase a tire where the profits are going to China.

With that said, many RVers and truckers are doing just fine with some of the tires from Chinese manufacturers ...Samson, Double Coin Sailun, etc. In fact, a recent article I read about in one of the commercial truck tire publications is that some of the truck tire factories in China that produce many of the tires used by the commercial trucking industry in the U.S. are cleaner, more modern, and more efficient than some Tier1 manufacturers.

I personally choose to buy tires from the Tier2 manufacturers. I think it's a good compromise. As previously noted, Toyos, Sumitomos, Yokohamas, and Hankooks, just to name a few of the tires from Japanese or South Korean manufactures are as good or better than Michelin, Good Year or Bridgestone ...but generally much less expensive. Again, for me, I refuse to pay the premium for a Tier1 tire.

We each have the freedom to choose what is right for us. Isn't America great?

Tags
newbie, tires