Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2017, 07:28 PM   #1

Newbie question, Itasca Meridian

Hello all! I am looking for a used DP and have little experience with these so I thought I would ask for some help. I'm looking at a 2004 Itasca Meridian 36G with 52k miles. It has a Cat 330 and I think an Allison 3000 6 speed. I want to pull a 4500# boat now and then that's why I'm going for a 36'r.
I guess what I would like to know is .....What do you guys think of that model and what to watch for.....Do you think that motor has the HP to pull and launch the boat & what do think of the Cat vs. Cummins, is it reliable?
Any help would be appreciated since I am pretty green around pushers.

Thanks in advance! Mark
Marko3002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2017, 08:11 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Mark....to start, I think yo may be in error regarding the motor. My sister owned a 2004 Itasca Meridian, 34'. Hers had a Cat 350 (C-7). With that said, it will do a good job of towing your boat. My sister routinely towed a 21' Seaswirl Bow Rider, out west, without issue.

The interior woodwork was exceptional. It had a couple of issues over the 10 years they owned it. First, the paint (silver, black and grey) started to go bad about year 6-7. The roof line went bad in the first two years, but was repainted by Winnebago through CDI.

Another issue was that the front generator cover and rear engine door were only glued on and eventually fell off. There were some good fixes for this, which you can find on the Winnebago site here. You may also have issues with the Norcold 1200. If it hasn't already been replaced, it's probably close to failure. The good news, it should be pretty easy to change it out for a residential unit since there is extra room below the Norcold.

Freightliner uses a stacked charge air cooler (CAC) and radiator. This means, they mount the CAC (which is the size of the radiator) about 3" in front of the radiator. This setup has a tendency to collect dirt between the two units and will overheat on grades.

The problem is easily repaired by yearly maintenance, but you have to lift the bed in the master bedroom, where you'll find a large metal plate that covers the radiator and CAC. Once you have it open, you need to repeatedly wash and rinse both units where they face each other. Since they're only about 3" apart, it takes a lot of washing and rinsing to get them clean, as they are difficult to access.

With all that said, take a flashlight with you during your inspection and look between the two. If they're dirty, it will actually look like hair is growing on them. If it is dirty, you may want to negotiate the time/labor to clean.

Lastly, they were decent handling coaches, made better by a good set of shocks.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:19 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum, Mark.

We had an '07 Meridian and found the CAT to be exceptionally reliable. Yes, it will be much better for your application than the standard Cummins ISB that came with the Journeys. Most of the 2004 Meridians had the 330 HP although there may have been a few 2004.5s with the 350 HP as all the 2005s had the 350 HP engine.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:38 PM   #4

Great info to hear....I'll be sure and check these issues out. All the paperwork says Cat 330 hp and I read somewhere in one of these threads that they used a bunch of Cat motors in 2004 due to a Cummins shortage, brochure also states Cat 330. So if it is a 330hp will that be enough torque for pulling and launching a boat? I was gonna try and find a midsize with a 400hp motor but they seem to be like Bigfoot to find.
I've read about the problems with the Norcold fridges so I'll check that out. Thanks for the info, that's the kind of stuff I was hoping to hear about, I'll be sure and check into it.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:47 AM   #5

A Class A MH launching a boat at the ramp? Never seen that. OP, be sure to post photos or video of that. If others on this thread have done so, please do the same, if you have 'em. You are giving me ideas! Thanks.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:57 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
We have owned a 39 ft Itasca Meridian 04 with a Cat 330 for seven years. We have put 55K in our travels during that time for a total of 75K. We have enjoyed the coach and will continue to own. The major expense we have had is the replacement of the HUEI pump ($7200) in Alaska.The most important action is to have clean oil. Now we change engine oil frequently, very 5K. I have had to replace the oil pan because of rust. This appears to be a typical problem with Cat. I replaced my self for the cost of the pan ($480). I would strongly recommend having an OASIS Freightliner Service facility do a M3 service and inspection.

We live in NY and in our travels we go to the Freightliner Service facility at the Freightliner Factory in Gaffney SC. This is an excellent facility and they have all the parts on hand to repair on the spot. They only service RVs and have overnight hook ups. You don't always find this on the road. I have found them to be high quality, reasonable priced(?) for a RV repair ($100/hr). If you service in January you get a 10% discount on parts and labor. Don't forget to sign up for Freighliner Club for another 5% discount. You can sign up for a two day school to learn about your specific coach.

Our last service on 1/10/17 the M3 inspection reveled a small hole in the exhaust pipe in front of the muffler (NY salt); replaced all pipes. A serious crack in one of the front brake pad; replaced both front pads and drums. A small leak at coolant clamps; replaced clamps. One other important item we had them replace the serpentine belt and while off INSPECT THE FAN BEARING; often over looked. Additional I had them replace the coolant surge tank because of small cracks. This was a preventative action because of concerns I have read that the tanks will fail.

Good luck

Safe travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko3002 View Post
Hello all! I am looking for a used DP and have little experience with these so I thought I would ask for some help. I'm looking at a 2004 Itasca Meridian 36G with 52k miles. It has a Cat 330 and I think an Allison 3000 6 speed. I want to pull a 4500# boat now and then that's why I'm going for a 36'r.
I guess what I would like to know is .....What do you guys think of that model and what to watch for.....Do you think that motor has the HP to pull and launch the boat & what do think of the Cat vs. Cummins, is it reliable?
Any help would be appreciated since I am pretty green around pushers.

Thanks in advance! Mark
Mark,
We presently own an almost sister ship to yours. It's the '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the 330HP CAT and the Allison MH3000 6-spd trans. We bought it 5.5 years ago with 40K on it and it now has just over 70K on it. The motor is a great motor with no real inherent issues. There was NO CUMMINS engine shortages in that era. There were multiple manufacturers using both CAT and Cummins for that year. For the production run of '04 Winne and Itasca gave a choice of two engines but, they were NOT available in ALL models and lengths.

For the Itasca line-up, the 7.2L 330 CAT was the standard engine across the board. However, in the 39W ' coaches, you could opt for the 8.3L Cummins ISL 330HP version. The production date of your chassis will dictate all of what was incorporated.

I agree with Don on most of what he stated about the radiator and CAC. But, I'll have to disagree with the easily accessed cleaning capability of them if and when needed. Yes, you can lift the bed and remove one or both of the engine covers. There are two, a large one, about 40" x 40" or so and, a smaller one further to the rear of the coach, about 18"-20" x 40". Removal of them will give you access to much of the top of that engine but, based on the layout of the engine and fan shrouding, it's pretty much impossible to simply hose things off or, do a real thorough cleaning of both of those components.

Now, here's the reason for the (if needed) cleaning. In short, CAT, (and Freightliner for that matter) allowed for the engine and chassis to leave both the chassis mfgr and the coach builder with the "Blow-by" tube exiting right below the vertical centerline of the engine. So, when in that position, the engine blow-by of course will put out some mist from engine internal operations. That mist will contain a bit of oil.

But, due to the flow direction of air not only from driving forward but, the operation of the continuous duty engine fan, that oil mist would get deposited on the inside faces of both the CAC and the radiator. As you more than likely would know, an oily surface will gather dust and debris very, very easily. And that is what happens to the fins on both of those. They get coated with that engine blow-mist and, consequently also gather up and hold, every bit of dust and debris that is kicked up by normal driving and, that fan forcing even more into them.

So, that's how it happens. There is a remedy. Actually, there's two remedies. The first is to re-route the end of that blow-by tube to the very back of the coach, as in beyond the rear body panel. The second, and more importantly is, make dead sure that there is ONLY 19 Quarts of oil in the engine. About 99.999% of the C-7s in that era were fitted with what's called the SMALL oil pan. And that version, is a 19 quart pan. Any more oil than that, and there is a very high possibility for the engine to develop more internal blow-by than what's normal. That EXTRA blow-by needs to go somewhere so, out the tube it goes. And that means more oil mist exiting from the tip of that blow-by tube.

Enough about that. For a short while of the 2004 production run of the Freightliner chassis and the C-7, it was determined to use ONLY ONE fuel filter. It's visually seen at the back of the coach, in between the grill and the radiator. Again, depending on your chassis production date, you more than likely have only one fuel filter. You'll have to verify that to be sure. That one is easy to change. Do be careful if and when you change it though. There is a high possibility for what's called "Drain-back" to happen. If that happens, you could see a "no start" condition on that big CAT engine for a while.

The coach itself, as has been stated, is a well built coach. I feel there's great fit and finish. Based on the fact that you're looking at an '04 alone, there is something that needs attention pretty soon after you take delivery. And that is for you or, a person of your choice, to do a thorough inspection of the "Roof-to-gutter" seal/joint/caulk. That seal/caulk joint, is primarily the ONLY thing that holds that fiberglass roof on your coach, with a little help from the front and rear caps. That joint is very important and needs to be in the best condition at all times.

I've done quite a bit of work and maintenance on ours so, I'm pretty familiar with most of it from end to end. So, if you have any questions pertaining to particular components, operations and more, don't hesitate to ask or PM me.

By the way, just for your info, about 99.999% of the Winne and Itasca diesel coaches (above the 32T model) came with the Dimensions 2000 watt Inverter/Charger. That unit, when plugged into shore power, or, running the generator, will provide a charge, TO THE HOUSE BATTERIES ONLY! So, unless it's been modified or, aftermarket components have been installed, parking or storing your year Meridian and keeping it plugged in, only your house batteries will remain charged, your chassis (engine) batteries, will eventually go dead as they do not receive any charging. There's a cheap and very nice remedy for that too. It's called a Trik-L-Start and, it runs about $45 or so and is very easily installed.

From that point on, your engine/chassis batteries will receive a charge when plugged into shore power. Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:13 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko3002 View Post
I was gonna try and find a midsize with a 400hp motor but they seem to be like Bigfoot to find.
I'm not sure what you consider a midsize, but Safari (Monaco built) made many 40' models with the Cat C9 400/1150. They also have side radiators and a few other nice things to have.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:45 AM   #9

x2 on the roof/gutter caulking. I recently sold a 2006 39K, and aside from keeping an eye on the roof caulking, it was a good coach.
Might want to get any maintenance records for the basement air, or at least try to have it checked out to make sure both compressors are working correctly.
Plenty of info on this site about that.
I thought ours was a well built coach, and after a few convenience upgrades (TV's Stereo etc), it was fine to live in. I only sold mine due to a desire to have a side radiator coach due to the CAC issues mentioned above
Magredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:04 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I'd veto the 'boat launching' aspect.

Most boat ramps are wet and slippery/slimy (or gravel), not a good place for a motorhome. You'd be better with a 4wd launch vehicle. If you get your motorhome stuck spinning a rear wheel, you'll be in for a HUGE tow bill (plus a lot of pissed off boaters).

Maneuverability in getting motorhome and trailer/boat turned around and backed in would be hard for a long wheelbase vehicle.

You also don't mention how long your trailer and boat is, mine would exceed the legal DMV limit if pulled behind my MH.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:47 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
I'm not sure what you consider a midsize, but Safari (Monaco built) made many 40' models with the Cat C9 400/1150. They also have side radiators and a few other nice things to have.
I drove a 2002 Foretravel that had a 400 hp Cummins and Allison with engine retarder and it was a great driving coach. Problem was it had 140,000 on it and they still wanted a steep price for it.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
I'd veto the 'boat launching' aspect.

Most boat ramps are wet and slippery/slimy (or gravel), not a good place for a motorhome. You'd be better with a 4wd launch vehicle. If you get your motorhome stuck spinning a rear wheel, you'll be in for a HUGE tow bill (plus a lot of pissed off boaters).

Maneuverability in getting motorhome and trailer/boat turned around and backed in would be hard for a long wheelbase vehicle.

You also don't mention how long your trailer and boat is, mine would exceed the legal DMV limit if pulled behind my MH.

I agree with some of your statements here. We've launched quite a few boats with our motor homes in various water ways and boat ramps. Obviously some forethought and considerations are in order here. No body in their right mind would take a 36' coach and 22' or longer boat (which makes the whole package close to 60' long) and use a tiny, narrow, un-improved boat ramp. But, there's plenty of very, very nice, ultra wide and grooved concrete boat ramps out there, all over the place. Lake Powell for instance. At Waweap Marina, that ramp is about 40-50 yards wide and, depending on the water level, can be up to, a foot ball field in length.

Yep, it can get crowded for sure but, again, some common sense is the name of the game here. Lake Sand Hollow State Park and Marina is another ramp that you could use tractor-trailer to launch a boat, it's that wide and long and, the last time I was there, ZERO slime on it.

While launching a boat, any boat, with a motor home, ANY motor home is surely not the best scenario, you do what you have to do in a given set of circumstances. I'd prefer not to use our Diesel Itasca Horizon to launch our 22' Kayot but, if I absolutely had no other choice, well, it is what it is.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:26 PM   #13

I was actually glad this model has basement ac, that is a plus ,right? At least you don't see the units on the roof. So it has two compressors? I tested the ac today and it seemed to blow pretty cold all the way thru.
Standing at the back of the coach with the motor running there was quite a bit of air flow coming out and yes, there is one fuel filter visible right at the back of the motor easily accessible.
It's great to hear all the comments about these things especially being new to pushers. I made em an offer today so we'll see what happens. Thanks for all the info, believe me I'm taking it all in!
Old 02-01-2017, 04:40 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Scott....I'll rephrase my statement about it being easy, it's easier than pulling the radiator which some do. When I assisted my brother in law in cleaning his, we used a garden sprayer with Dawn dish soap and sprayed between the two repeatedly. We then made a pvc pipe sprayer, like the ones you buy to clean your RV toilet, but we added several holes on both sides. We connected the homemade device to the water heater of the BIL's house. Between the spraying with soap, the sprayer and rinsing with hot water, it's not that hard of a job. My BIL's coach was really bad, so it took a lot to get it clean, once it was clean, it was easier to do each year.

I had a 2005 36' Diplomat and launched my 22' SeaRay for many years with my coach. It was great for launching. The rear wheel overhang prevented the tires from ever going in the water. The traction of a DP with duals is tremendous and the horsepower is great for pulling the boat out.

Obviously, it doesn't work on a tiny ramp, but we've launched at Lake Shasta, northern California and Lake Powell.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, itasca