Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2021, 10:37 PM   #1

Newbie question: Truck Stops

I will be making my first foray into a Truck Stop tomorrow for fuel and DEF. Flying J in Brookshire TX.

Anything unusual in the operation on the high flow pumps.

Don't want to look like a total dweeb.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2021, 10:58 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Until you get used to the fueling characteristics of your LA, pump slow. These pumps can give your rig a nice diesel bath if you pump too fast. If you're going to use the truck lase, and I assume you are, You will have to go in to get your card authorized before filling. I would also make sure you know which pump you are at before you go in. I've seen many folks at the register without knowing which pump to authorize. Don't ask me how I know this.
Old 03-20-2021, 11:08 PM   #3

As suggested...High Flow Nozzles can get away from you. Go Slow/don't fully open the handle

After fueling....move away from the pump islands so 'others' can get in and fuel up

Then go back in and get receipt, candy, soda, whatever
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 11:15 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Like others have stated, you have to pump slower, especially when your near full. Diesel foams a lot when your filling fast and will shut the pump down when you still have plenty of room in the tank.
Old 03-21-2021, 12:59 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Get a TDS card so you can fill up and not have to go into cashier.

boot coverings, or sacrificial shoes and gloves.

https://rvnstyle.com/refuel-your-rv-...dDUHk9M8WL93EQ

Have situational awareness. Depending on where you fuel, there can be some interesting people wandering around truck stops. Lock your coach up, check you pins on toad before pulling out.

Understand goes in's and goes out's. Not always straight forward or marked. Trucks sometimes fuel and then park to rest, so don't always follow the herd.
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 03:52 PM   #6

Good advise with boot coverings, seems there is always a puddle of diesel around pumps, nothing worse than a mad DW from tracking diesel across the carpet.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 04:20 PM   #7

The others have covered most.

Unless you have a fleet style card like TDS you will most likely have to go in and pay for your fuel.

Even though many others do not, be prepared, get your fuel and move forward if there are other truck trying to fuel. Just have general overall situational awareness. Another place for situational awareness is walking between your vehicle and the store/cashier. There are lots of big moving trucks with lots of blind spots, that is before you even figure in human factors. I have seen someone that got pulled under a truck at low speeds, it is not a good sight.......

For DEF, that may also be a challenge depending on where your tank is. The I find the hoses quite short. The one time I did my pick up the fill is on the passenger side under the hood I had to back up to reach across and it just barely made it. The last time I filled my HDT, where the had the DEF hose mounted I had to back up even when my fuel tanks were in the right position. I bet the hose on that one was barely 6'.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 05:41 PM   #8

Once you get to the pump, no big deal. But as mentioned, there are all different lanes and ways in and out. If your towing keep in mind you don't want to have back up. The truck entrances are sometimes poorly marked and some may be a half block down the road from the main station. Pilots and Flying J's can have some "different" layouts and approaches. And trucks will pull in, stop, leave the truck and you can't tell what they have in mind. Good luck on picking which lane you think will move the fastest. Many times I've into the office/store and ask for whoever is parked in front of me and I'm tired of waiting to get going. Then the guy/girl comes out of the store/restaurant with two arms full of food. Some have no consideration for others. Fuel up and get out of the lane.

Roadmiester
09 Dynasty Regal IV
Roadmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 05:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWBGE View Post
I will be making my first foray into a Truck Stop tomorrow for fuel and DEF. Flying J in Brookshire TX.

Anything unusual in the operation on the high flow pumps.

Don't want to look like a total dweeb.
Read this!
https://www.ranker.com/list/truck-dr...llections_page

https://allthatsinteresting.com/robert-ben-rhoades

Inside The Brutal Murders And Haunting Photos Of Robert Ben Rhoades, The Truck Stop Killer
PS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 09:40 PM   #10

Survived with no incidents. The pump actually took my visa. No diesel bath. A lot more questions to answer at the pump. The only issue is that my fuel fill is at the front of the coach and my DEF fill is at the back of the coach. As a result, I have to fill.with diesel, pull forward, and fill with DEF.

Several of the truckers complimented me on my coach.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 03:38 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
just watch this video

Part Timers-Looking Fwd to being Anytimers
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 06:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Like others have stated, you have to pump slower, especially when your near full. Diesel foams a lot when your filling fast and will shut the pump down when you still have plenty of room in the tank.
Im late to the thread. Glad things worked out ok with you. Only a few other comments. The foaming of diesel is right-on. I have a good idea of how accurate my fuel gauge is .... and when I hit something like 15 gallons below full, I stop the fuel flow, wait 30 seconds or so, then going slow add 5 gallons, wait 30 seconds, etc. At least for my rig I have gotten a feel for the sound of the thing (if I can hear it) for when it is really getting full. Even then, sometimes it fools me :-) .

Another thing to consider is **dont** aim to really top it off. that invites overflow. Maybe shoot for 90% full and call it a day (you likely cant drive a full tank without needing a rest stop anyway, right?)

I have never had problems with "sketchy" people in the truck lanes. newbe truckers who did not know what they are doing, yes, inconsiderate drivers who park at the pumps and have me trapped behind them, yes ... but most are very considerate and, like you, asked about or commented on my rig. At least for, me, the biggest risk is the diesel on the ground (booties are a great idea - I will have to look for some of them myself :-)

Enjoy your trip!
Old 03-22-2021, 06:55 PM   #13

I fill my diesel and when I get around where I think it will top off, I slow to a trickle, no splash back.
Then, I pull the forward and fill the DEF. The cabinet for the DEF is small so I leave it open to center the pump
Old 03-22-2021, 08:26 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
All good info. I agree get a TSD card and Do Not "top off the tank" as you will either get foaming or a bath.
Remember to pull forward if you are going into the store after filling so the rig/truck behind you can start filling.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags