Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2013, 07:50 PM   #15

picking one out.

I would agree with some of the posts that our (RipperFarms) experience should not be the normal.

First---The guy that posted this === On Tuesday morning, the door bell rang and it was our delivery tech, he wanted to know how it went and what issues we found. I provided him the list and we discussed each issue. We turned the keys back to the tech and we packed the car and drove home. A week later we received a call that our unit was ready for pick-up. Upon arrival our delivery tech met us and walked us through every issue and what was done to repair or resolve the issue. Prior to our departure we were given the warranty paper work, the techs cell number with the instructions that if anything comes up, call him!

I would find that dealership and go there. He was Stealth01.

Second --- I would make friends with 2-3 people that have had diesel pushers for some time and have them go look with you or take the unit to them.

Third --- I would have some independent tech look it over....I think someone else posted that.

Fourth --- if you are spending a lot of money, and most of us do, Research, Research, Research, and then Research more. It's never enough.

Fifth --- get them to throw in a warranty, even if it is only one year. If it is a dealer purchase it should be like a car dealership they can get a warranty a lot cheaper than you can so make that a deal clincher......give a warranty or you walk. It's a lot of money so you should have some clout. Good Sam sells one.

I agree there is always something to fix ......... but it should not be a ton of stuff in the beginning.

Dave.............in Illinois
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2013, 08:43 PM   #16

Good evening and thanks. We just bought our first mh and will pick it up this week. It is a 1993 Winnabego Vectra 33. We are very intimidated and excited.

DrDonG
DrDonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:51 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth01 View Post
Welcome to the forums... I wouldn't get too excited about Ripperfarms post... I believe he summarized his dilemma with his statement "I would never buy from that dealer again"!

Lets look at your pending decision from a couple of different angles...
First the coach... what features do you want? Do you understand what an Oasis or Hydrohot system are and the benefits they provide? Do you understand the various slide configurations, slide mechanisms and associated reliability? Do you know what RV manufacturers are considered more reliable vice the lesser reliable manufacturers? When looking at a used coach, do you know the "things" that should be looked at closely, the battery life issues, tire life issues, ETC? This is my succinct method of saying you want to do a great deal of RESEARCH! And when doing your research VISIT dealerships, not just those that you are considering but high end coaches also (not for bling) but rather to understand "what is available". Coach size... personally GO LARGE!!

Now the MOST IMPORTANT POINT: The DEALESHIP!!!!!!!! A dealership without honesty and integrity I wouldn't go near! And remember, the dealer does not necessarily have to be in your backyard... you are purchasing an RV. As an example, let me describe the delivery of our current coach, a "used" Newmar. We spent Friday with the delivery Tech going through the unit starting in the cockpit. He explained and we discussed every switch, button, light and indicator in the Coach... this went from 9 AM to 6 PM! While we finalized the paperwork the staff moved the Coach down to their acceptance spaces with full hookups. When we arrived, everything was set up and operating. We were given the delivery techs private cell number and instructed to "play with everything!" If we hit something that we couldn't figure out, call the tech and he would walk us through it. Thus we spent a 3 day holiday weekend becoming familiar with our new Coach. On Tuesday morning, the door bell rang and it was our delivery tech, he wanted to know how it went and what issues we found. I provided him the list and we discussed each issue. We turned the keys back to the tech and we packed the car and drove home. A week later we received a call that our unit was ready for pick-up. Upon arrival our delivery tech met us and walked us through every issue and what was done to repair or resolve the issue. Prior to our departure we were given the warranty paper work, the techs cell number with the instructions that if anything comes up, call him!

So prior to jumping in, spend time looking at and learning the various systems/features that will be on your "must have" list. AT the same time be looking at dealerships, their reputations and how they treat their customers.

Just two centavos...
Hola.....
That sounds like our exact RV purchase/experience with Lazydays RV dealer near Tampa, Fl.
Bought new to us 2004 Fleetwood Southwind 32v (July 2011), and Salesman (Steven Ratcliff) and delivery experience was SECOND to NONE!
We never thought we'd buy from a 'dealer'....now we will never buy from anyone/anywhere else than Lazydays.
On our 'weekend' delivery we met 5-6 couples who traveled hundreds & hundreds of miles to buy (some 2nd-3rd time) from them! We were impressed by that the most, along with a thorough and professional purchase-delivery-and servicing experience.

geno & heidi and furry family.....
geno-heidi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, newbie