Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #1

Newbie to MH

My wife and I have been RVing for 16 years In Travel trailers. We have been searching for a used 2002-2007 Tiffon. I have found a few locally in both DP and gas we would like to pull the trigger within a month or so. Our plan is something that will last the next 8 years traveling to FL and the AZ area on 2 week trips till I can retire. We are leaning toward a gasser due to fuel costs and ease of repairs but I'm concerned on longevity. I like the 8.1 on the workhorse but its not made anymore and I've owed a v-10 in my tow vehicle before and MPG was atrocious! I'm just looking to hear some opinions.

Thanks and ill keep reading!
JD
Jd-mpmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Welcome to IRV2. Sounds like a good plan you have there. The gas mileage on the Ford or Workhorse will be approx. the same. I have had two Fords and have had great service from them. Visit the two forums here and you will get an idea on how the owners of each feel. Good luck.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #3

I will thanks Cliff
Old 02-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #4

I have been reading a lot of opinions on gas versus diesel. One of the major arguments in favor of diesels is that they will last a lot longer. I have to laugh every time I read someone saying that. It may be true that these engines should last quite a long time but the reality is that very few motorhomes are ever driven more than 300,000 miles. What is the point of having a million mile motor if it is only driven 200k.

The 6.8 Ford gas engine that is currently available is a truck motor designed for heavy duty. I have yet to read someone that has used one up because of all the miles they put on it and had to replace the engine. This engine should have little trouble lasting for the life of the coach with regular maintenance.

In my view, it is a pointless argument to say that the diesel will last longer when very few owners will ever find out how long it will last.
bmacrc46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #5

I agree....years ago when Ford came out with the 6.0 diesel in the F250 I bought one thinking "Ill drive it till the wheels fall off" it was a great tow vehicle but had a lot of issues so I went back to a V10.

I just spent the last 30 minutes reading some of the threads Cliff suggested and saw a great statement....under 5,000 a year go gasser, over 5,000 a year go diesel. I could see over long trip after long trip the noise of the front engine might get to me.

Since we are not full timers we have just talked and going to look for a gasser. She has found a few Tiffons around locally. What momma likes momma will get!
Old 02-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd-mpmt View Post
I just spent the last 30 minutes reading some of the threads Cliff suggested and saw a great statement....under 5,000 a year go gasser, over 5,000 a year go diesel. I could see over long trip after long trip the noise of the front engine might get to me.
I am not sure I would agree with that statement. That seems like an awfully low threshold to justify the substantial additional cost of a diesel. I bought a new 2013 Georgetown gas. When cruising on the freeway you can not hear the engine. When you hit hills and it downshifts you can hear it but it is not at all obtrusive.

One of the main differences between gas and diesels is the towing capacity. Typical gas motorhomes are limited to 5000 pounds while the typical diesel is 10,000. If you are towing heavy and/or spending a lot of time in the mountains a diesel option can have more merit

Fuel mileage, but not fuel cost, is another area where diesels have an advantage. Average DP's are around 8 to 10mpg with most closer to 10. Gas motorhomes seem to be in the 7.5 to 8 range. If diesel is $4 and gas is $3.20 then a 10mpg diesel would experience the same cost as an 8mpg gas.

When my wife and I were looking this past summer I took a good long look at DP's. The 5 to 7 year old models with relatively low mileage averaged around 100k. We found a brand new gas with a floor plan my wife loved for 80K. My wife got the Motorhome she wanted and it would have been my choice as well.
bmacrc46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I've had both. For any serious driving, a diesel is a pleasure to drive, a gasser is not. Personally, I don't care about the extra costs of a diesel, the ride is so much nicer, to me it's worth it to pay a bit more.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
I also have the pleasure of owning two gas and two DP 'S The V10 Ford was a good motor but I did experience noise and heat from the motor box. I like the flat floor in the DP and the fact there is no noise but most of all the ride of the DP. A few trips across Alabama and Louisiana a few years back I about shook everything out of the cabinets and lucky they were still attached.
rdkng88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
I've had a gasser and now have a DP. With the gasser, your engine is in between you and your dw. If you'd rather not hear what she has to say or like to hear her shout, then gas is the way to go. With the DP the engine is in the rear and the result is a much quieter cockpit.

As for buying a 6.0 F250, I have one of the last made 7.3 power strokes (2003) F350 crew cabs with approximately 170k miles and it is going strong. In 2003 I purchased a diesel over a gas engine because if I had purchased a V10 and now had the same miles, my truck would be worth nothing. It looks great, drives even better, I get 20 mpg, and could probably still get $8k for it from a landscaper.

My point above is that if you buy a diesel over gas, in time, your resale value will without question be higher than a similar gas model. While its true you will also pay more upfront too, there are several advantages to diesel that you will enjoy in the meantime. Besides... There's nothing sweeter than the sound of a diesel!
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
I've had both. For any serious driving, a diesel is a pleasure to drive, a gasser is not. Personally, I don't care about the extra costs of a diesel, the ride is so much nicer, to me it's worth it to pay a bit more.

X2.....After two gas MH's and now a DP we would never go back to gas. That said, get what works best for you. The DP will cost you more to own.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

We own a V10 gasser and we love it. As for engine noise...it is not a factor for us. We have absolutely no problem holding a conversation or enjoying the ride.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #12

It appears that if you have a gasser and never had a DP you love the gasser. If one had a gasser and switched to a DP the you will never go back to a gasser. Is that a correct observation?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:25 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
It appears that if you have a gasser and never had a DP you love the gasser. If one had a gasser and switched to a DP the you will never go back to a gasser. Is that a correct observation?
It certainly seems so. As "vacationers", we will likely never consider a DP because to us the investment is too high for occasional use. Each of us has to decide what we are comfortable with and go that route.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:22 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
If you can afford a DP, get it! I think DPs are better in many ways. If you are like me, that is, trying to enjoy the life without really having a big enough wallet to do it in style, owning a gaser is a sacrifice worth accepting to be able to travel with the big dogs.
Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote