Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2019, 07:34 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryrv View Post
I am very mechanically inclined so I am sure some issues i could solve myself.
So am I, so this asset of yours is good to have. And since you like and can work on things yourself, I highly recommend whatever DP you buy, get one with a side radiator. So much easier to work on and maintain. With your budget that should not be a problem.

Oh, and no full wall slides.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2019, 10:10 AM   #30

No full wall slides?!? A lot of coachs have them, are they a headache?
roryrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:24 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
Newmar, Tiffin, Entegra. That's what I would focus on. Personally there is no way I would buy new; depreciation and getting the bugs worked out. Good luck with your search.
This is perfect advice and I concur 100%. I own an older (07) Winnebago DP currently, have had zero problems, but it does not compare to these manufactures. I have friends that own all the above, been in them many times, they are all first class builders. I have owned a Tiffin Alegro and it was a great gas class A. I am going to go a different direction shortly and move into a Class 8 super C. Good luck!
RunningHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:59 PM   #32

Quote:
No full wall slides?!? A lot of coachs have them, are they a headache?
Just do a search on FWS that have the Schwintek slide system. I would NOT touch one of those MH's if you gave it to me and especially between 2013 and maybe up to 2017 or possibly even later. Schwintek's (by Lippert) came out I believe in 2013 and we're riddled with problems and poor engineering. Many if not most manufacturers embraced this new "technology". Installs at the factory sucked for the most part, we're not installed right and the consumer became the guinea pig for research and lab work to find fixes. Then came 2.0, 3.0, 4.0 patches, fixes and trouble shooting began in the field, two rail add on's, so forth and so on. Research it. Schwintek systems on FWS you're begging for problems IMO. Smaller slides and Bedrm slides seem to be fine NOW in late most high end MH models. But still...research it and really make sure. And really make sure by putting these slides thru the rigors in your pre-purchase inspection BEFORE you sign the dotted line.

I personally like pre 2013 MH's with electric or hydraulic slide systems. These have been around forever and are tried and true systems. Lippert, trying to become the "king of the mountain" RV supplier, came out with this new technology and their own slide system and many, many RV consumers paid big time.

So you're looking at high end BIG coaches....ok fine....but IMO still NO FWS. Four smaller slides yeah ok. BUT again, I repeat, no FWS unless you're a man that thrives on risks and likes living on the edge.

Now I'm sure (no I'm confident) you'll have some/many respond to what I'm saying by, "I have Schwintek FWS an have no problems". Ok maybe you got lucky. But I'm telling you, research it. Now in 2018 and 2019 it has gotten somewhat better I admit. But for me, it's just to dam much weight on one slide system and I'm NOT going to take a 300K-400K gamble and hope everything works out ok. PERIOD.

Next...
Those that say the floor plan is the most important thing to look for is pure nonsense. Think of it this way considering—just one thing—about buying a MH...the slides. OK, so, WOW, you found the most awesome floor plan ever and the price is fantastic. The layout is exactly what you have been looking for and your wife is overwhelmed and excited with all the bling and inside features. So you buy it. You start to travel and nothing but problems with the slides. All of a sudden this awesome floor plan and beautiful MH doesn't really matter much anymore does it?

Slides and the type of slide mechanisms MATTERS. It's a MAJOR function of todays MH's. There are a—lot of things to consider—when buying a MH (not just slides) and especially when plopping down 300K-400K

Hopefully my argument and rant here will bring about a robust rebuttal from others that will give you the answers and the reason to research further to make the best purchase possible.

Oh, and again, rear radiator if at all possible.

Do your due diligence my friend and good luck. Keep your eyes open.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:09 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Comfort drive, don't leave home without it.

We got a Newmar look at my signature.
Chief Alen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 05:58 AM   #34

Thanks for the input. I did hear of issues with FWS yrs ago but dont know to what
severity and if still an issue. I agree it could be a lot of weight if the cabinets are
full and a packed fridge. I know some slides extend farther then others and am sure
that would be a factor. Yes mechanicals first/floor plan second, and that is why i
started this thread to see which brands seem (taking account " nature of mechanical things") to be favored. I have heard both sides of side/rear radiator and suspect a side would have to be cleaned a bit more often but cant eally think of a true advantage either way.
roryrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:46 AM   #35

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Motor Hime comparisons

Hi Rory:

Do yourself a favor and buy the Motor Home Comparison Guide by Randall Eaton. Rates motor homes all the way to 2019. All of them both gas and diesel, includes Class c and all.

Try this link info@RVReviews.net

Look and see who they rate as number n#1 for many years.

Jim P
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:40 PM   #36

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Hello I am planning to buy a new class A with $325k-ish to spend. I have
driven my dads diplomat from the days of Monaco being Monaco. I am
looking for a tag 43ish ft, 450hp all the new bells and whistles. The problem is which manufacturer.

Sorry if this thread is asked all the time. Tiffen and Newmar reps are
very convinced they are the best, REV group (American coach, Monaco etc)
dont get spoken of as highly nor does Thor. Havent talked to an Entegra rep yet.
Was excited about the new modern Winnebego's but looked at 2 new ones and both already had fit/finish issues. I have been to many shows and
dealers (will go to Hershey show this year) and dont have a clear path.

Thanks
Sounds like you want newness over quality of engineering or you're just off with your budget somewhat.
If quality is a top concern, then be sure to look in the rear for a side radiator before wasting your time, going through the entry door, as one doesn't go, without the other.
If it was me, I'd stay within my budget and drop back some years, for a better unit and for maybe saving some trips to the dealer. Saves a bundle in depreciation per mile, too or like getting a lifetime of free fuel.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:24 PM   #37

This is a open ended question that you will get a never end of opinions and I should probably keep mine to myself but... if this is your first RV that you will own you realy need to be sure you even like the camping aspect. In addition if you do find that you love it chances are you will likely want to get something different in a few years but you might get lucky and keep the first one you buy... I'm on my 4th. Hind sight is always 20 20, I would recommend you buy a good used coach see how much you like it and find out what you would like to have different. I say used because when you do desire to make that change and trade it in you will not be taking such a huge hit in the wallet. No matter what brand it is you will be in a loss for trade even if you pay cash. Depending on your disposable income you will have plenty to make repairs or upgrades. If your hung up on having the security of a warrant then make a dealer purchase for a used coach and elect the plan for the warrant extension or repair insurance they will happily sell you. You will still have a large cash flow or credit for trade later or you may find that your very happy with the used coach and not so heavily in dept and that's even better more cash for trips... good luck only you can make the choice
nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:26 PM   #38

Foretravel Owners Club
Watching.... Personal choice would be a '06 or older Prevost conversion, Newell, Country Coach or Foretravel single or 2 slide.... but that's just me..(none of which use the Limp-Richard/Swindle slide mechanisms)

Your results may vary..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:40 PM   #39

Quote:
Hello I am planning to buy a new class A with $325k-ish to spend. I have
driven my dads diplomat from the days of Monaco being Monaco. I am
looking for a tag 43ish ft, 450hp all the new bells and whistles. The problem is which manufacturer.

Sorry if this thread is asked all the time. Tiffen and Newmar reps are
very convinced they are the best, REV group (American coach, Monaco etc)
dont get spoken of as highly nor does Thor. Havent talked to an Entegra rep yet.
Was excited about the new modern Winnebego's but looked at 2 new ones and both already had fit/finish issues. I have been to many shows and
dealers (will go to Hershey show this year) and dont have a clear path.

Thanks
We purchased a used American Coach Eagle. We love it. If you do look at a higher end coach with an ISX built before 2014 make sure it has an updated head.

We looked at Newmar Essex and London Aire and I can say the American coach is better built.

I do say think of a floor plan first, do you want or need a bath and half, do you need extra pull out beds, do you want a dish washer or dinette style seating etc etc. Then find the models that fit that need and go from there.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:00 PM   #40

i just left tiffin's service center...

this is in red bay alabama. near the factory... i didn't count the repair bays...
90? or more in main building... go there and visit with the folks having work done... ask about their satisfaction with the brand and ask about problems...

and ... while there, take a tour of the plant.

if you make that trip and talk to one of the aforementioned dealers, you'll buy tiffin..

enjoy the process.
rockriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 07:05 PM   #41

A friend of mine works for one of the larger RV chains. When i was shopping his exact words “I’ll sell you one but they are all pieces of sh#t regardless of brand”.

Not very confidence inspiring coming from someone in the industry and the price point of coach we were looking at.

Long story short we ended up going with a new Fleetwod Discovery 44b. It is a ton of bang for your buck when comparing to other brands.

As to the quality control. So far so good, knock on wood. We have been very satisfied with our choice after 3000 miles and a total of about 15 nights spent in it. We will see how it holds up during this season.

Happy hunting.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:52 PM   #42

Living in Michigan (with Spartan in Charlotte) I would lean toward a Spartan chassis. All Entegra's ride on them, and some of the Newmar's.

Comfort drive, I really like it, but chose Entegra after the test drives. However, if buying new. The 2020 Entegra models sound like they are going to have the same TRW (comfort drive unit). Though it might only be the Anthems and Cornerstones.

Not sure about best deal on Newmar's, but I found it easy to get 35% off on Entegra. Between the discount and people trying to sell "lightly used units" too high, we went with new.

Entegra gives you 2 years warranty which was a big deal to us, and saved us $$ in our second year of ownership.

All that said, I really don't thing you can go wrong with any of the three brands you listed.

Steve

Tags
class a, newbie