Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2019, 07:15 AM   #99

A lot of people talk about buying gently used 2-3 year old coach. However, in our experience it was difficult to do with Entegra's.

Too many people with used Entegra's for sale were unrealistic about their worth. Far too many times the asking price for a 2-3 year old coach was less than $20K for what we could buy a brand new one with 2 year warranty.

Then the ones that seemed reasonable, ended up having 60K+ miles on them, or other issues.

Did we have a few (infant mortality) things go wrong? Yes. But given the same choice, we would buy new again in a heartbeat.

You get the exact floorplan you want, you get to pick the options, and colors. Finally, you have warranty (for 2 years in Entegra's case).

Of course all of this is based on you knowing what kind of floorplan you want.

We always suggest people new to MHs to pick up an old unit first if possible. Learn what you like/ don't like. What things are important to you, and find out if this is really the lifestyle you want to do. Then go out and buy that new or relatively new coach that you plan to live with for many years to come.

Steve
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2019, 07:42 AM   #100

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Buy new or new enough to have factory warranty on engine and transmission for several years

You can get a huge discount by shopping around for new coaches or slightly used

DITTO that statement. If you shop around, and know how to cut a GOOD deal and know your competitors costs you can do better NEW than used. Usually within a two year new radius of the coach you want to buy. Example I found multiple used coaches 2017 & 2018 exact year models that were asking over $10K more than I paid for a brand new 2019 coach with all the bells and whistles plus warranty. Yes I have to take care of the new bugs myself, but with the warranty and closeness of dealer I really think it was worth it.

JCP
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:43 AM   #101

Smile

Yes if I did buy used I wouldnt do more then 3 yrs old and no more then
20k miles. If the right deal for an upper end used coach at my budget
came along I would take a look for sure. You are right as used 2015-2018
coaches still seem priced high. I do know what floor plan I want and the
wife is in agreement
roryrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:53 PM   #102

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by roryrv View Post
Thanks my $325 is an ish before taxes and fees. I have seen units
in this price range..with sales and end of year models etc. I have about 8k
miles under my belt driving my dads Diplomat 10 yrs ago and it was 40ft
with no tag.
My debate is not about the money but:

New, repairs under factory warranty to my satisfaction and control
(I live in MI so drive to Ind to the factories would be easy)

Used, were repairs made and what has happened in between.

I am very mechanically inclined so I am sure some issues i could solve myself.
WE bought a new 2018 Entegra Aspire in 2017 and got into it for 303000 before taxes. Not all the bels and whistles but enough for us. It's had a few small issues and all taken care of under warranty. The Entegra's come with a 2 year warranty and 3 years on the chassis. We are pleased with our first motor home and ours is 45'.
jloftice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:51 AM   #103

Agreed, my last house payment is in 9mths and at that time I will start making the rounds with the check book and I bet I can find a good deal on a new 19 when all the dealers have 20's. if a great opportunity came up an a slightly used I would have a look but it would have to be a good deal to forgo a warranty.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:56 AM   #104

Been there done that. We are now on our 7th coach, we have had many different brands, all of which had some nice options. An option that may be very important to you may not mean anything to us and that is how the world turns. For instant we use our dishwasher for storing pots & pans, I removed our central vac because our Dyson does everything we require a vacuum to do. So I could tell you what to buy but that would be stating a make & model of a coach that has the options I like but are not what you view important to yourself. I personally believe the manufacturers are producing as many coaches as they can and sending them out to their dealers to deal with all the bugs in the units? I know people who have had between 30 & 40 issues they had to take their coach back for repair! It doesn't appear as the manufactures care about the inconvenience this may cause an owner. Tiffin is now operated by the Son's of Bob Tiffin and the quality has dropped considerably as Tiffin years ago were a very good coach but it appears their quality has slipped if indeed this is true? I have a friend who has an Entegra and is going through a problem with the wood which is the home to Powderpost beetles which have similar characteristics of termites. Actually he had to have his 2019 Entegra tented and the bugs exterminated. This doesn't appear to be the only case as he also knows of 2 other owners with the same problem. This doesn't mean every Entegra has this problem and I have another friend who owns one and he really likes his. So for me to say what is best and what isn't, is not up to me because they all have problems from time to time. I have heard negativity against REV or American Coach. We own an 2011 American Coach Heritage, we Love the Coach. It has 440 sq. feet of living space, 650 H.P. Cummins and no DEF. Have I had issues with it CERTAINLY, however in saying that, every time I have contacted REV in order to correct an issue they walk me through until I have repaired the problem, I have the highest regard for this company and its customer service! One of the Techs there is a Lady by the name of Debbie and believe me, she is second to none, very knowledgeable and pleasant to deal with. Looking back on our experiences I would have to say when & if I buy another coach, I would probably have a tendency to look at coaches that were a couple of years old, that way one can review that certain coach and if you are satisfied it will meet your needs, you will save some serious cash.
Happy coach hunting.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!
Lonniemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:11 AM   #105

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonniemac View Post
Been there done that. We are now on our 7th coach, we have had many different brands, all of which had some nice options. An option that may be very important to you may not mean anything to us and that is how the world turns. For instant we use our dishwasher for storing pots & pans, I removed our central vac because our Dyson does everything we require a vacuum to do. So I could tell you what to buy but that would be stating a make & model of a coach that has the options I like but are not what you view important to yourself. I personally believe the manufacturers are producing as many coaches as they can and sending them out to their dealers to deal with all the bugs in the units? I know people who have had between 30 & 40 issues they had to take their coach back for repair! It doesn't appear as the manufactures care about the inconvenience this may cause an owner. Tiffin is now operated by the Son's of Bob Tiffin and the quality has dropped considerably as Tiffin years ago were a very good coach but it appears their quality has slipped if indeed this is true? I have a friend who has an Entegra and is going through a problem with the wood which is the home to Powderpost beetles which have similar characteristics of termites. Actually he had to have his 2019 Entegra tented and the bugs exterminated. This doesn't appear to be the only case as he also knows of 2 other owners with the same problem. This doesn't mean every Entegra has this problem and I have another friend who owns one and he really likes his. So for me to say what is best and what isn't, is not up to me because they all have problems from time to time. I have heard negativity against REV or American Coach. We own an 2011 American Coach Heritage, we Love the Coach. It has 440 sq. feet of living space, 650 H.P. Cummins and no DEF. Have I had issues with it CERTAINLY, however in saying that, every time I have contacted REV in order to correct an issue they walk me through until I have repaired the problem, I have the highest regard for this company and its customer service! One of the Techs there is a Lady by the name of Debbie and believe me, she is second to none, very knowledgeable and pleasant to deal with. Looking back on our experiences I would have to say when & if I buy another coach, I would probably have a tendency to look at coaches that were a couple of years old, that way one can review that certain coach and if you are satisfied it will meet your needs, you will save some serious cash.
Happy coach hunting.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!
It must have been a good while, since you spoke with Debbie.
She's been gone for quite a while now and is in business for herself.
Charges a fee for her services, as one might expect.
Rev Group/American coach has made quite a few changes all around, including the tech support, so can't say what one might expect nowadays and I haven't called them since these changes were implemented, either.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:14 AM   #106

Clear as mud LOL. Great advice on both sides new vs old. Not to start a political debate but the economy is good, folks seem to have more money
and are spending it. I have seen this in other industries as well and there
is a rush to capitalize and cash in on the spending and we all know what that
generally means....hurry and get the product on the lots for sale.

The good news is I am not in a hurry and can search and be a bit picky to
find the right coach new/or used and will be open minded. Either way we all
know the "nature of mechanical things".

Maybe a few factory tours this spring will show me a thing or 2 on how the
manufacters' are throwing these things together.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:18 AM   #107

Tiffin Owners Club
Bought a new 40 ft 2018 Phaeton. Been in class a and class c motorhomes for 20 years. This was the best of the three tiffins we have owned. Only very minor issues, easily handled with a Redbay trip just before wty expired. We looked at late model used, and they were priced like new. For $325 you could easily get a Phaeton with tag. Very good tech support after warranty from Tiffin. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:58 AM   #108

Newmar Owners Club
If you are looking new you can get a 43' Ventana with tag in the low 300's depending on options. The only thing you mentioned that it would not have is the 450 hp, it comes with 400. The Dutchstar will get you 450 hp but it will be around $400K. Many of the Dutchstar features like Girard awnings and 360 view camera moved in the the Ventana this year.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:21 PM   #109

Foretravel.

https://www.foretravel.com

https://www.motorhomesoftexas.com
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:52 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwyble View Post
If you are looking new you can get a 43' Ventana with tag in the low 300's depending on options. The only thing you mentioned that it would not have is the 450 hp, it comes with 400. The Dutchstar will get you 450 hp but it will be around $400K. Many of the Dutchstar features like Girard awnings and 360 view camera moved in the the Ventana this year.
Dutch Stars are now going for $400K street price now??? WOW !

Three years ago, we were trying to decide between a fully optioned DS or an Entegra Aspire. We were quoted a price of $315K for a fully optioned DS that at the time we thought wasn't a bottom number. Just initial price offer from dealer. Anyway we ended up with the Aspire for $280K.

Quoted out a new Aspire the other day and it was less than $305K. I can't believe the DS has gone up that much compared to the Aspire. IF Newmar has really has raised their prices that much the OP REALLY should take a hard look at Entegra's.

Steve
Old 11-22-2019, 06:46 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by photraveller View Post
Dutch Stars are now going for $400K street price now??? WOW !

Three years ago, we were trying to decide between a fully optioned DS or an Entegra Aspire. We were quoted a price of $315K for a fully optioned DS that at the time we thought wasn't a bottom number. Just initial price offer from dealer. Anyway we ended up with the Aspire for $280K.

Quoted out a new Aspire the other day and it was less than $305K. I can't believe the DS has gone up that much compared to the Aspire. IF Newmar has really has raised their prices that much the OP REALLY should take a hard look at Entegra's.

Steve

Just for fun, I built a 4369 DS with every option possible. adaptive cruise, heated floors, K2 chassis, W/D, two satellite dishes, nova awnings, freezer on a slide, ...

Street price is about 362.

Go to Newmar's web site you can build a unit and get MSRP, then take 28 to 30% off to get street.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:41 AM   #112

Just rolled 9,000 miles in our discovery 44b. It’s been one year and just completed our second round of warranty repairs. Bob Hurley in Tulsa are great to work with even if you didn’t buy your Rv from them.

Anyway, i feel like the coach has gotten settled in. It seems to ride and handle smoother than it did brand new.

Everyone on here is going to lobby for their choice of coach. All i can say is find the floor plan you like and stay within your budget. If you can come in lower than budget it’s a bonus for unforeseen expenses which will pop up regardless of what you buy.

If you can find one with the 450 motor I’d highly recommend. Our discovery purrs down the road at 75mph towing my f150 behind it.

Tags
class a, newbie