Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #29

Barry, I like the RV Checklist app because I can modify it to my needs.

I would also recommended proper footwear when dumping tanks. I wear flip-flops because feet wash off, sandals wash off, but tennis shoes hold the smell really well. I was just at a State Park and observed a guy at the common dump station do what everyone fears doing. From what I saw I believe he took the cap off of his dump station when he had the black tank valve open. Let me tell you, his ____ does stink! I didn't see him get back into his Suburban, but I'm betting his shoes didn't go in with him.

Don't sweat the little stuff, just go out and enjoy yourself.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #30

I'm sure we've all experienced the "stinky snake".........you know the one that rears it's ugly head when the sewer hose isn't securely fitted into the ground and you pull the black valve wide open suddenly!
Make sure the hose is securely attached at both ends, laid as straight as possible and SLOWLY open the black valve. We're ALL still learning. LOL
quickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:40 PM   #31
szy

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Check list's are great,,, but I always make one final walk around before the rv moves an inch, just to make sure everything is unhooked, stored away, and storage compartments are shut and locked...
A spotter with radio is a great idea,,, but if you are EVER in doubt, stop, get out and look. I don't remember how many times I had a good citizen say its ok for me to back up (when I drove a freight truck in the city) , but when I stopped and got out to look, there was a low wire, tree branch, etc that they had not seen.. Better safe than sorry..
A VERY good standard operating procedure
szy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
What is a donut and how is it used?
It's exactly what RickO already described so well in his post above this one. I'm in New Mexico where there are no such laws, but I do use one every time I hook up now.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #33

I completely agree with the check list, but would add to it. That being said, more than once I have had inpatient friends or 3rd parties respond with a thumbs up to a check list question only to find out they had assumed, not checked. My check list now is exactly that, MY checklist. I make sure the vents are closed, the hoses stowed, the awnings locked, jacks, etc, etc, etc. And always, always, always do a finial walk around, especially when your in a hurry!
YZF571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #34

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
what is a donut? I am an experienced camper, but new to Class A--never heard of it--Vince 1996 Holiday Rambler Vacationer ES--Thanks
vscoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #35

Oh yes, don't have anything like a cell phone of eye glasses in your shirt pocket when you flush the toilet. It will go down that small hole where all dirty water goes, but it is harder than heck to get it back out. Please, please don't ask me why.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:17 AM   #36

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK View Post
Always, and I do mean ALWAYS, look up when pulling into somewhere you are not familiar with, be it a service station or a campsite. A lifetime of driving an auto does not condition us to look for overhead obstacles. Walk into a campsite before backing in.
X2!!~!
Even after years, sometimes forget that I need a lot more clearance overhead that a car!
RABBITFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:38 AM   #37

I just bought the Rand McNally GPS for the RV and it has checklists as one of it's features. In addition to the pre-set items you can add additional checklist items that may pertain to your own RV.

Going from a fifth wheel to a motor home I was surprised how much easier the "backing up" issue was. Using mirrors and the camera (and getting out to look on those rare occasions where you need to) eliminates the need to have wifey back there. She now gets out and takes the dogs for a spin around the park while I get settled in.
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
DW and I each have our own routine for set up and take down. She does inside, puts down jacks, extends slides...while I work outside. Be sure to secure interior doors, loose stuff, shower items etc. when you leave site. When we're ready to leave, we both double check in and out and agree we're ready to go .
Old 09-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #39

Duct tape and a selection of zip ties. Amazing what quick repairs you can make with these.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:51 PM   #40

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
All the above...

Word of advise... Don't sweat the little things. DW or you will forget to pack something you had planned for the trip and the stress level will start to climb. When this happens get a couple of adult beverages and remind each other, it is a vacation and nothing is so dramatic that it can ruin your fun. Sit back and relax!
Unless it's the adult beverages you forgot!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #41

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapTaz View Post
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is to have and use a "donut" when you dump your tanks. I was very curtly informed by a neighbor while in Arizona that they are required by law in that state, so you might check to see if they are required where you happen to be. Since I now have one I use it out of simple courtesy reguardless if required or not.
I don't even own a "donut"! I have a Blue Line connector that screws in to the threads on the drain.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:18 PM   #42
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Unless it's the adult beverages you forgot!
Then I take the toad to the closest beverage dealer. If we are not pulling the toad then it is time to pull up jacks.... Just kidding... Never forgot the adult beverages. Some how that is NEVER overlooked.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbies