RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2017, 11:58 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Newbies looking at Class As

We're hoping to purchase an RV in the next 2 yrs. We like the class A's but want to learn more about what problems or limitations we might run into if the rig is >35 ft long.
ABC&D RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2017, 01:46 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you ever owned an RV?

My coach is 38 feet long and I don't have any problems. I don't use state campgrounds.

The bigger the coach the more room you have for junk.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcar1 View Post
We're hoping to purchase an RV in the next 2 yrs. We like the class A's but want to learn more about what problems or limitations we might run into if the rig is >35 ft long
Let me help you a little here so you'll get better, more qualified answers:
How do you think you'll use this >35' RV
Full time or weekend warrior
Part of the country you'll spend most of your time in
Traveling a lot or short trips
Budget
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:57 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I would recommend you look at only diesel engines with a rig bigger than 35ft - so you can benefit from the "engine/compression braking" or "exhaust braking" (compression braking is generally found on the larger engines).
Very nice to have on downhills so you don't overheat your brakes.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:07 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We upgraded from a 37 coach to a 43 coach and have never regretted it. Besides the obvious interior and exterior storage, the real plus is stability. We found that the larger coach with the tag axel made for a much more stable tide-no getting pushed around by 18 wheelers!! Agree that if you go over 35 then diesel is the best way to go.
sunset4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:35 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
You need to give us a little more info. As suggested in post #3.

If you are going to be travelling a lot the diesel is the way to go especially if you will be in mountains. Even that aside the ride of a diesel on air bags is superior to others. Air brakes for better stopping. Engine brake for downhills. The list goes on and on.

Tell us more about your needs and budget.
Old 10-28-2017, 02:13 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
For sure, over 35' it will take longer to wash and wax it..

Good advice received already.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
Gillig Bus Chassis
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 02:43 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I think it really depends on how you will be using it. If it's mainly for weekend trips and an occasional vacation, then a smaller rig, even a gasser, may be the best choice. If you keep it 35' or under you won't have a problem most anywhere you go.

If you plan to travel extensively for long periods of time, then I would recommend maybe a 40'. You will be much more comfortable, both driving and living. I would go for a diesel pusher, even if you have to get an older model to stay within the budget. Floor plan is VERY important if you plan to live in it for long periods!

You've got a lot of tire-kicking to do, so get busy!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:57 AM   #9

Keep in mind that if you like State Parks and National Forests
many of them have 34 ft limits.
Also consider if you are towing a vehicle be sure the difference between the GVWR and GCWR is enough to accommodate the weight of your tow vehicle. As your length increases so does your GVWR and towing limits depending on the chassis.I agree that if you go over 36 ft or so diesel is the way to go, but with more length comes more comfort, more responsibility, less flexibility and fewer choices. It's a trade off. Motor Home magazine is currently taking letters from people about this and should be publishing the letter in the next issue.
Jimg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:30 PM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barcar1 View Post
We're hoping to purchase an RV in the next 2 yrs. We like the class A's but want to learn more about what problems or limitations we might run into if the rig is >35 ft long.
Few trade for smaller and most go for larger.
We've never stayed anywhere, without seeing others that were larger, including inside Glacier and Yellowstone NP.
Once in a while, when we call ahead in busy areas, you'll find a tight little place that can't handle much of anything over a B or C, but these are far and few in between.
All else fails, Wally World can handle anything and they have the best camp store on the planet. Price is right too and many carry fuel as well.
As for an A, it's definitely our preference in the world of RV's.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:08 PM   #11

My 2 Cents...

A bit new to the whole land battleship thing myself, but a few points I believe should be touched on:

1. This is NOT a van. Even if your state doesn't require special licensing, GET SOME TRAINING TO SAFELY DRIVE THESE THINGS. You want to ENJOY your experience, not DREAD it.

2. Diesel is the only way to go, REGARDLESS of size of motorhome. With that comes the understanding that heavy diesel and air brakes require you to ALWAYS perform a 'preflight' (what the military calls Preventive Maintenance, Service, and Checks, or PMCS) before you even start the engine. This will ensure you have no nasty or hair-raising surprises down the road.

3. Motorhomes are NOT an investment tool. They depreciate like no one's business. Only get into this with the thought that this is a luxury item, NOT a nest egg. That being said, spend where you can to upkeep, do what you can, and leave the rest to the professionals. A couple hundred in prevention beats thousands in cure.

Other than that, always remember that this is an extension of your HOME. Make it yours, and take it wheresoever you choose. THAT is the point.

Welcome, fellow newbie!!
ArgoPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:25 PM   #12

I understand why you are asking about what to buy but it is a little bit like asking "should I buy size 11 shoes?".
The first thing you need to do is figure out if you have size 11 feet. In other words, figure out how you're going to use the coach, what you're budget is and how many times a year you'll be able to use it.
Argopilot doesn't want a gas engine. I sold a diesel and bought a gas coach and it fits perfectly for our purposes. We wanted to be as agile as possible so we decided to stick to under 30 feet. I don't pull a car - we just unhook the water and electric and drive wherever we want to go. At 27 ft our class A is the same size as a UPS truck and we go any place that UPS goes.
A diesel coach would cost me far more than I would ever benefit.
Everyone has a different answer for you. Start by identifying what you want to do, how much time and money you can spend, how much you are willing to fix yourself and then look for what fits your "shoe size".
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:20 PM   #13

All you are going to get here are personal opinions. Some from owners with limited experience in both diesel and gas coaches. As some have said, there are a lot of different ways to use a class A motorhome. Until you identify what your intended use will be, it will be difficult to get any meaningful advice from the group. Take the time to go to RV shows to get an idea of what is available. Once you decide how you would use a motorhome, then look for something that fits your budget. A good start would be to rent one for a couple of weeks and get a feel for what you like and what you don't. Renting is not cheap, but it could prevent you from buying the wrong one and costing much more to get out of. The more informed you become in the next two years, the better chance you will have of getting the right one for your needs/wants. We're on our 8th motorhome and each one was an improvement. The first was an $18,000 32' Southwind just to see what it was like. We were hooked and the games began. Once you know what you want the hunt for that perfect one is as much fun as owning one. Good luck and enjoy the hunt.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:38 PM   #14

Yes, an Opinion...

My reasons for diesel over gasoline (petrol) are based somewhat on opinion, but also what we expect these engines to do for us. To that end...

LONGEVITY: diesel engines are designed from the get-go to handle far higher pressures, and are built heavier. Properly (not necessarily ANALLY) maintained, they will, overall, last far longer than their gas-powered cousins.

EFFICIENCY: CC for CI, diesel engines are more fuel efficient. To a certain extent, the miles per gallon doesn't change, regardless of the load or lack of. Not so much with gas-powered.

POWER: In this case, TORQUE. I doubt anyone here is going to argue the merits of diesel engines in this regard. Ain't NUTHIN' pulls harder than a chatterbox!

As stated by more moderate voices on this board, all the options and what you finally decide upon, are all up to what you find most important. It is, after all, your baby. Research as best you can, then jump in where you think best.
ArgoPilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, newbie, newbies