Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2016, 11:45 AM   #1

Newby with a Plumbing Question

Just bought my first RV, a 2005 Gulfstream Sun Voyager, and have an ever expanding list of questions. First one up is the Black/Grey Water dump fitting. The one installed on my coach is positioned so it actually points upwards, virtually guaranteeing the lines will not completely drain when the Black and Grey tanks are drained/flushed. Did someone possibly install this incorrectly? Pic attached. I believe the Black Tank valve is actually not holding completely as I have opened the drain fitting twice and seen a little overflow come out both times. Checked and found the Black Water slide gate completely closed, so I plan to drain and flush the systems and add new Black and Grey valves. When I do so, should I reorient the drain cap so it is directed downwards?

Thanx,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0532.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	476.4 KB
ID:	122533  
mike337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2016, 11:46 AM   #2

Push it down. the fitting should swivel at the valves.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:58 AM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Your asking a question that is often asked. People don't realize those mounts are made to swivel. You can rotate it to any position. The previous owner probably had it rotated up because of the small leak you found.

Both the grey and black water valves are just a blade that slide into a slot with a rubber seal on both sides. Often, people will push the valve closed and the blade forces debris into the slot, causing the leak. With the tank drained and the valve open, you can often reach in and clean the valve (slot with rubber seal).

Keep in mind these valves are cheap. You can buy them on Amazon for about $12.00. It never ceases to amaze me how long someone will mess with these valves when they leak. Jus replace them. They take a 7/16" wrench to replace. Realistically, anyone whose valve is older than five years should just carry a spare.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:06 PM   #4

Wow! Talk about fast replies. Thanx for the assist to you both. I will try rotating the drain fitting/cap, and will definitely be replacing both valves. With the amount of effort and time to flush both tanks, and disassemble the knife gates, it would be in my best interest to just install new valves. Especially, considering the low cost of new ones.

Thanx Again,

Mike
Old 03-28-2016, 02:54 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
As the previous posts said, it's not hard at all to change the valves. There are four small bolts holding the two outside clamps to the valve. The trick is to get the rubber gaskets in place when you re-assemble. One little tip, use your levelers on the drain side only to lift that side of the coach a little. That way you don't get any residual drain from the tank when you pull the valves off. I learned that one the hard way.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:13 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Mike337,

Glad your here! There a lots of smart and experienced people here willing to help.

Good luck with your Gulfstream and happy travels.

Cheers
Old 03-28-2016, 03:32 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I just did mine and it was sooo easy. When drained, and with the valves removed, the tanks will push slightly apart, giving you some working room to reassemble this thing. Do a good rinse, a good dump, and use your levelers to raise the driver's side of the coach so nothing drips out.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
I just did mine and it was sooo easy. When drained, and with the valves removed, the tanks will push slightly apart, giving you some working room to reassemble this thing. Do a good rinse, a good dump, and use your levelers to raise the driver's side of the coach so nothing drips out.
Be glad yours have easy access. My extended service contract holder just paid $1,100 to replace my grey, black, and fresh water dump valves because they are in such remote places, replacement took 10 hrs. for all 3.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:13 PM   #9

I replaced my drain valves last year. Took about 1.5 hours working at an easy pace. Before unbolting the valves I took a large black trash bag and spread it out below the valves, then spread about 1/2 inch of kitty litter on the trash bag under the valves. The little bit that dripped out was instantly caught by the kitty litter. Afterward rolled the bag up with the kitty litter and tossed in the trash. Simple job, no mess.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:08 AM   #10

I received the new valves from Amazon yesterday, and will be installing the new valves next week (weather and travel permitting). My RV is currently spotted on property 5 hours away from my home, so it's all about logistics.

Thanx to all for the great info on how to get this job done.

Mike
Old 03-31-2016, 02:06 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mike, would appreciate an update after you have completed this project as I may be doing it as well in the very near future. Your valve setup looks pretty the same as mine.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:52 AM   #12

Plumbing Success!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98FPA View Post
Mike, would appreciate an update after you have completed this project as I may be doing it as well in the very near future. Your valve setup looks pretty the same as mine.
The rain finally let up last week, and I switched out the Black Tank valve. As mentioned by others, its actually pretty easy.

1. I have a bi-directional valve input line Black/Grey Tanks which allowed me to just about fill the black tank, and then flush everything out at a dump site. The RV dump fitting rotated downwards with no problem at all. **Thanx for the input that let me know that! Lots of sediment, blockages present, but some well placed blows to the piping just prior to the gate valve seemed to free everything up and empty the tank. Note: I would highly recommend using a clear elbow on the connection to the RV dump connection as that allowed me to get a great visual as to how everything was flowing/or not flowing.

2. The 4 bolts/nuts came right out, and the plumbing separated easily, leaving plenty of room to remove the old knife gate and install the new one. Made sure all mounting surfaces were cleaned off, and the gaskets not pinched or distorted, then tightened everything down. The removal and replacement of the black tank knife gate valve took all of about 15 minutes.

3. Filling the black tank with water prior to the knife gate change out took over an hour, but that was with a severely compromised (leaking everywhere) fill hose provided by the dump station, and a lot of second guessing on my part as I used the system for the first time.

4. Now on to my next task, which will be figuring out what a switch is for on the main panel for the slides, or finding out why my awning seems to be jammed closed.

Regards,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0564.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	124723   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0568.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	124724