Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #1

Newell coach

Does anyone have any pro's or con's to Newell Coaches. We are thinking of getting one.
DaveChuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2012, 10:10 PM   #2

We are also - but it's between that and a high end Monoco.

I'll be interested in the feedback.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:47 PM   #3

Totally out of our league, however when at the 2004 FMCA convention Albuquerque we met Sam Thompson VP of marketing & sales for Newell Coach. He invited us to take a tour of their factory in Miami OK. I informed him the Newell was totally our of our league, but he wouldn't take NO for an answer.

Long story short we took the tour in Oct 2004 and I was impressed as the coach chassis is built at the factory and uses the German ZF suspension components. In observing the employees it's obvious they take pride in their jobs as evidenced in the quality workmanship on the coach.

All glide out seals and entry door seals are pneumatic inflating for a perfect seal when doors/glides are in and/or when glides are out.

They even conduct a leak test by pressurizing the interior with a non-toxic smoke of some type and check for any leaks coming from the glide and door seals.

The exterior door as well as inside pocket doors are pneumatically operated.

If money were no object, we would have one in a heartbeat and the Newell would be my choice over any other coach built.

Sadly though I'll never have enough money to buy one.

If you ever have the opportunity I highly recommend a tour of their plant in Miami, OK, even if you don't buy one.

Here's a link to their website and sometimes they have some good deals on Pre-Owned coaches:

Newell Coach Luxury Motorhomes

Good luck with your choice..and safe travels

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:56 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
With what little I know, AND THATS A LITTLE!.... I have seen a few Newells out there, I don't think even the high end monaco is in the same league as a Newell or a Prevost, they seem unsurpassed in price point, custom finnishing and just plain wow factor... the paint schemes alone are impressive...I know what I would buy!JUST MY TWO CENTS!
Old 04-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
We own a 2004 Newmar DutchStar & a Newell has been on my wish list ever since I had the opportunity to see one up close. If $$$ were not a problem I would trade her in in a heart beat.
bmerpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:18 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
For the past two and a half years I have been looking at, and studying the option of buying a pre-owned Prevost or Newell and have talked to countless people that own them and can't recall anyone ever talking negatively about them with one exception. That is, because of the complexity of most of he systems incorporated in them, they can get very costly to have work done on them, most systems incorporated in these coaches are the best money can buy, example: the headhunter water pump used in many of these coaches runs in the neighborhood of $1,200+. It's not that you would run over to CW and pick up a new one for a hundred bucks. Most have elaborate computer system integration of TV, shades, lights, stereos, climate control and these systems can get very costly. Example, if a TV goes bad and is replaced with a new one, you may have to have the computer system re-programmed to reconigise the new TV. Some of these computer system systems are proprietary and have to be taken back to a service center qualified to do the programming. By ALL means, if you have the means to afford one of these truly luxury coaches, do so, they are truly beautiful, made to out last the assembly line type coaches and truly luxurious. There is no comparison to these coaches to those that are assembly line types. My problem kept boiling down to my fear of getting one and a major component failing and I would be up the creek. Looks like for now I will maintain an production line type coach, but if I ever win the lottery, a Prevost or Newell will defiantly by in my future. Good Luck...
Old 04-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We have some friends with a Newell they bought used. Of course they are very well built and fine coaches. But to me, and my tastes, on the inside, they are too much glitz and glamor, too ostentatious. I've been to the factory and it is very impressive.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #8

I agree about the glitz, and you're right - that's just a personal issue for many of us. However if money were no object (which sadly it is!), I'd buy a custom Newell or Prevost and take out the glitz and make it very homey and comfortable inside! Then again I'm VERY happy with my Entegra and can't imagine needing more in the way of amenities and comfort inside.
rvguy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:22 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Really nice coaches. Way too many $$$$$$$ for my budget.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:38 PM   #10

I was looking at a 2010 Newell or Prevost but I didn't like the windshield. If not for that one thing I would have bought the coach. I ended up buying a 32' 2002 Winnebago that needs a little work. Maybe they will change the design next year.

It always reminds me of a story about a man who was looking to buy a
$750,000 coach and asked what kind of gas mileage he could expect.
The salesman said if you have to think about that this coach is not for you......
Bigd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The wife said I can have a 2013 Newell. I just can't buy it until 2023. If I could afford it I'd hate to see my trusty Phaeton go. But I'd manage.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #12

Hear very positives on Newell. Concur when looking at the pictures of used and new - the interiors are not to our taste. Glitz is a good word - but, that's our view. If buying new, they will make it what you want.

I would also take a careful look at the top dog Foretravel too. Not a Newell, but a very nice coach with great reviews.

Prevost and such? Well, for some reason these don't interest us either. I looked at a few used (decade + units, non slide) when we started shopping. But the size was too long for what we wanted. And, I just liked the mere mortal coaches non glitz more! All very subjective, and to each their own.

I don't know your budget. But a slightly used Foretravel, taken back to them, can be made into anything you like - and probably save some big coin along the way. I like the option of 'here is what we want'... When paying that kind of $$.

Best of luck, and have some fun!!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:17 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
There are several aspects of Newell coaches that make them stand alone.

Coaches 2006 and newer have rear tags that turn counter to the direction of the steering wheels, enabling a 45' long coach to make a U-turn in 37 feet!

Coach slides are typically totally flat floor (except rear headboard slide) whose orchestration has too be seen to be believed.

The power of these things in just unbelievable...and until recently they could be had with 10 and 12 speed European transmissions that made Alp climbing a walk in the park...with it's first service scheduled at 250K miles!

The ride is the best of all worlds....not too "floaty", and certainly not harsh...sort of "European"...this year's models will have active suspension ~ and industry first.

These coaches are true "4-season" coaches with insulation values in roof,walls, basements etc. to make them as comfortable taking them for a winter ski trip as they are in a Tucson summer

The company continues to be in business (!!!) and offers 24 hour support, 365 days and always goes the double extra mile to resolve issues.

They maintain plans for every coach built. They can re-configure, re build, or re-invent any coach as if that's the way it left the factory on it's maiden voyage.

They are truly totally customizable...kennels for your dogs, no problem. Mid entry with bath and a half, start from three different base points. Want more entertaining room...how about a king size bed, mounted to a murphy bed that become a daytime theater complete with 100" screen and comfy recliners....done and done

As to the comments about "too gaudy, not my style" Newell will build it exactly the way the owner wants it...not the way Newell wants it. But they can also be "re decorated" by the subsequent owner to some extent...and not just a change of fabrics either. I wanted a desk removed and a sleeper sofa installed, while also taking a small window and making it into a large picture window. "No problem - we can make it look like that's the way it was built" and quoted me roughly $30k.

While I didn't win the $300 million lottery (Oh, you mean you have to really BUY a ticket?)...the used coaches are still amazing and (somewhat) more affordable.

I've been researching Newell ever since getting to walk through one in Holland's lot in San Marcos, CA where they had a 2005 and a 2008 - both were amazing in their own right. I've pestered Steve Wilson with a billion questions there....and called Newell's factory and spoken numerous times with (the vary patient and accomodating) Bill Dwyer. And should you ever get to walk the Motorcoach Country Club in Indio, CA it looks like a Newell ralley (yes, they have a double lot with one or two show coaches on site).

The best advise I can offer to anyone even considering them is check out www.newellclassics.com and go to the forum. Like this site, there are some amazingly helpful people and a really searchable forum that covers every problem you can imagine. I've asked a ton of questions there and the responses have always been detailed and helpful.

I'm trying to buy my "last coach" first...and if there's any way I can swing it with a pre-owned one...

Sorry for the long post, but the engineering behind what you see is just stellar!

(wiping brow and getting off soapbox)

Mark
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:07 AM   #14
laj

The only thing that scares/ bothers me about Newell's is the wiring and trouble shooting the systems should something go wrong,but I have the same issues with precise. If it weren't for that I would already have one, but still thinking and dreaming.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote