Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2011, 07:04 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Instead of the uniqueness of the custom built Newell, why not look at some other older, high line coaches that give you the benefits of high end workmanship and features, but without locking yourself into a such a limited edition brand for service and parts (especially chassis). American Coach (Eagle, Tradition, Heritage Dream), Newmar Londonaire or Mountainaire Limited, Holiday Navigator, Monaco Signature, or a Beaver Marquis would be good examples. You can have a luxury class coach without the drawbacks of a custom coach like the Newell.

Newells are custom built for each buyer. Some people order them loaded to the gills with amenities and couldn't care less leaving about any extra carrying capacity. Newell will make sure the buyer understands that when he configures the coach in the ordering process, but if that's what you want, they will build it that way. That means that second owners should check axle weights and CCC/NCC carefully to assure it will meet their needs.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2011, 08:12 PM   #16

Like comparing a Cadillac to a Yugo?
Old 01-26-2011, 09:24 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
Like comparing a Cadillac to a Yugo?
No, I say it was more like comparing a Rolls-Royce to a Cadillac. A Tour is no Yugo. BUT it's a 9 year old coach compared to a new coach. I'd go new Tour myself.
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:34 AM   #18

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
There are some nice Country Coaches for sale.
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:28 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

I would go with the Tour as it is new and Winnebago will give you plenty of years of service once you get all the bugs out like any new car. Also don't think the Winnebago has all the glitz that newell does plus how much does it cost to service the Newell?

Another reason is where do you intend to use the Newell as I haven't seen any in Nat'l Parks, State parks or a lot of regular campgrounds. The last Newell I saw was in Alaska parked alongside the main road on a service road. Just some food for thought

Hope you make the right choice for what you want to do.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:48 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

I've got great admiration for the workmanship and quality of a Newely but for me it would about floorplan and new vs used. In both cases I think I would come down in favor of the new Tour/Ellipse. Floorplan...Floorplan...Floorplan.

Good luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:59 AM   #21
a k

Newmar Owners Club
A nice 2007 Newmar Essex on RVTRADER $225,000.

Fixed it
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:16 AM   #22

Texas Boomers Club
$225??? Hey, I think I can afford that one!!

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:32 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
you guys are thinking along my lines here

Newell has a very fru fru , or as I wud say swanky interior , skeered to touch anything ..

I didnt know about the weight issue , thanks ..

I like the exterior of the Tour / Ellipse mo' better ..

Floorplan is DW's problem , my concern is the cockpit and all things mechanical ..

Thanks for the feedback
JackHammr' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:51 PM   #24

JackHammr - Which one do you like best? Which one is the easiest to drive for you? Which one is more comfortable for you to drive? Which floorplan works best for your needs?

I have never heard a bad word spoken about any aspect of a Newell Motor Home. I have seen many of them at shows and the quality seems above first class. However, many of the ones I have been in are too "Las Vegas" for me. On the other hand the Winny you are looking at is a very good coach too.

We bought a very high end (but not quite up to Newell) coach a bit over a year ago that was 7 years old when we purchased it. We bought it because we loved everything about it, custom interior, beautiful exterior, interior layout, super high quality construction. We preferred it to an almost new lower end class A. We are not sorry we went this direction. 15 months later we still love it.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:47 PM   #25

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Newell Motorhomes are first class. But, 9 years is alot of years old when talking TECHNOLOGY. The TV's if not replaced are old, not Digital or HD. The Micro Wave the same. The decor even high class may be dated. No MCD blinds, Aqua Hot, Surround Sound, CD players unless updated and installed. Good bet no four slide or full wall slide either, less living space.

And you are going to need service sooner or later. That factory mandatory is enough to send mt to a Winnie Ellipse CD.... LOL

Just my three cents.

Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:42 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
TVs can be replaced as can blinds. I personally prefer older and better built to new fru-fru and maybe not as well built.

You might also expand your search to look at some of the Foretravels.
Pre-owned RV sales, Service ,Parts & Consignments Motorhomes of Texas

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:05 AM   #27

As you can see the answers are all over the place, kind of like it would be if you asked which chick should I date? Only you and yours can decide. The Newell will have better quality construction as to cabinets, etc. But, the other stuff like referegerators, furnace(s), tires, etc will be the same. If you aren't concerned with glitz/pazzaz and are happy with the quality and floor plan of the new one, I'd go with new. You'll be getting new carpet, upholstry, window coverings, belts, hoses, vacumn lines, bearings, air bags, etc. Granted these can all be replaced on the older unit but at what cost? Just MHO. Good luck on whatever you decide.
Poptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:28 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
For us floorplan is the top priority with everything else coming second. We looked at quite a few coaches, but DW has her heart set on the Winnie Tour 40cd actually she wants the Itasca Ellipse 40cd cause since there both virtually the same she likes the name better.

We had also looked seriously at the Tiffen Phaeton and Allegro Bus models but we wanted to stay at the 40' mark and 40cd keeps coming up a winner.

Don't know if there's a right or wrong answer but will say that for us fulltiming, floorplan was the biggest consideration, then to make sure the coach had the drivetrain and structural aspects we needed.

The Phaeton was kind of elimanated cause of the 8.3 engine (we'll be spenidng a lot of time out west in the mountains) and we prefered hydronic heating to a forced air furnace.

Either way good luck with whatever direction you chose.

Trap
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote