Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2018, 02:35 PM   #1

Newer 2016 Jeep To older Rv UmbilicaL

Hi I have a 2016 Jeep JKU Rubicon. I am looking at getting a 2000 Monaco Windsor rv which has the 4 blade flat connector. I currently have the jeep wired with the Mopar 82211156Ab-001 umbilical which worked great on my last 2008 rv, which had a round 7 way plug on the rv. I only need brake lights, running lights, L R turn signals to work on the jeep, no brake controller. I am going to use a 4 to 7 way adapter such as e trailer # 37185. Does anyone have experiance with this and know if i just have to hook up the white ground and i will get the tow vehichles lights to work, or do i also need to hook up the black 12v wire ? I have heard i need the 12v power with fuse and also that i dont.
If i have left any info out my apologies

Thx Pat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3227.PNG
Views:	61
Size:	313.9 KB
ID:	196129  
PatM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2018, 02:42 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

I'm not clear as to where the 'white ground wire' is going or coming from. 7 pin and 4 pin wiring diagrams are all over the interwebs, you can look them up. If you're not using power from the RV to power the Toad, the connections should work, but if the white ground wire is the 4th pin of the 4 pin connector it will need to be connected to make the circuit complete. I wouldn't rely on grounding through the tow bar.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:51 PM   #3

stop by or call any '4 wheel' or 'truck modifications' shop, they do these things all the time, and can probably quickly tell you what you need to do...
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:12 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatM1 View Post
Hi I have a 2016 Jeep JKU Rubicon. I am looking at getting a 2000 Monaco Windsor rv which has the 4 blade flat connector. I currently have the jeep wired with the Mopar 82211156Ab-001 umbilical which worked great on my last 2008 rv, which had a round 7 way plug on the rv. I only need brake lights, running lights, L R turn signals to work on the jeep, no brake controller. I am going to use a 4 to 7 way adapter such as e trailer # 37185. Does anyone have experiance with this and know if i just have to hook up the white ground and i will get the tow vehichles lights to work, or do i also need to hook up the black 12v wire ? I have heard i need the 12v power with fuse and also that i dont.
Thx Pat
You will need the 12v power wire and a good ground. The Mopar harness requires a constant 12v supply for the relays to work. You would be better served to go ahead and install a seven pin round connector like your last RV.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:21 PM   #5

Thx not sure how hard that would be on a older rig like the 2000 Monaco Windsor to install a 7 pin round ? Or where to get one ?

Thx Pat
Old 03-20-2018, 03:36 PM   #6

Quote:

Thx Pat
I have not done this in a while but since I will be needing a Toad shortly I might as well get my feet wet again. You only have four wires to work with and you can assign those four wires anywhere you want but it seems like you might need to add at least one more for a ground. I do not think you can depend on the MH ground. If I remember correctly you need a set of diodes to properly control the Toads directional lights. If anyone can correct any mistakes in my analysis pleas do so.
Thank you
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:56 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
When I responded to your initial post, the photo wasn't there. Looking at the wiring, you do need to hook the white wire to a clean ground on the RV. You could drill a hole for a self-tapping screw in a frame or support. The two wires for a brake controller, which you're not using should just be taped up. The black wire is for a backup light, which again you're not using, so I'd just tape them up and see if the other wires are enough when you hook the Jeep to the RV.

If it doesn't work, then perhaps Lt Dan is correct, you may need the 12v power from the RV to power the Mopar wiring harness. You could check with a Jeep or Dodge dealer and see if the wiring in the Jeep requires power. If so, look for a 12v source in the rear of the RV that is ignition switched if you can find one.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:04 PM   #8

Thx i realized my mistake by not posting the photo. I think i will try this 4to 7 way connector if it doesnt work i wont be out to much money. These new jeeps are a funny beast electrical wise ,even the dealer doesnt know a lot of info, thx for you help

Pat
Old 03-20-2018, 04:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Thx i realized my mistake by not posting the photo. I think i will try this 4to 7 way connector if it doesnt work i wont be out to much money. These new jeeps are a funny beast electrical wise ,even the dealer doesnt know a lot of info, thx for you help
Pat
I am sorry I misread your post. Now that I am clear the 7 way is on the Jeep. Hook up the Jeep to the RV and see if it works. If you have no power you will probably need the 12V wire. If it works, briefly dis connect the towbar, and chains, to make sure it is not acting as a ground and if it is you will definitely need the wire.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote