Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2018, 08:02 PM   #15

Retraction... Plus comments.

* I did not mean to directly imply gas suspensions would fall apart at 80,000 miles. That's not the case.

* Yes... Towing is easier in a longer wheel base and when the drive vehicle is heavier. Consequently, I can't even feel the tow car behind my 40' diesel. And when towing up a moderately steep grade, a 330HP+ Diesel & tow car will fly by any gas RV.

* As for insurance, I think all RV insurance is costing more these days vs. just 3 years ago. And you will always pay more for newer vehicles, but I think "collision & comprehensive" coverage is about 40% of your annual insurance costs. So if all other things are equal, then I think an older $80,000 diesel will cost as much to insure as a $80,000 gas rig, but I don't know for sure. ...I also do not know if the insurance industry considers a diesel to be safer to drive vs. a gas RV, but I certainly think that is the case. I guess you have to get a couple quotes to know for sure.

* Because diesel RVs are more comfortable to drive, you can drive longer distances in a diesel vs. gas rig. This has certainly been my experience. I think it has to do with the fact gas RV make a lot more noise on the road and that causes more fatigue. ...That and you hear the gas engine noise a lot more vs. a diesel pusher!
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2018, 07:30 AM   #16

I always read the gas vs. diesel debates for the entertainment value and have this question: Why did you post, just to convince yourself you made the best choice for yourself or try to convince others that your choice should be their choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
...For starters: I don't think you can really open a dialog/debate about gas vs diesel, because that's like comparing apples and oranges!....
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
I always read the gas vs. diesel debates for the entertainment value and have this question: Why did you post, just to convince yourself you made the best choice for yourself or try to convince others that your choice should be their choice?
I agree 100%. Each buying experience is different and what works for you may not work for someone else. For us, the new versus used wasn't as big of a deciding factor. It was floorplan. Show me a 2005 DP that can sleep 9 people and have two full baths. It's going to take you a long time to find one if ever.

The top three considerations in my opinion are floorplan, floorplan, floorplan. If you don't like the floorplan, you don't like the MH period.

The majority of the advantages the OP states pertain to driving but remember, driving is only 5-10% of the time spent in a MH. Once parked, they all do basically the same thing.

It's too bad as a society we seem to need to prove our decisions are the best and we have to convince everyone else that our decision should be theirs. We all have different reasons to do the things we do. I hope everyone gets out and enjoys the decision they have made.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:34 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Very well written and thought out.
It’s always good for a laugh when someone who doesn’t even own a dp says how much it cost to own one.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by funmoneypit View Post
I agree 100%. Each buying experience is different and what works for you may not work for someone else. For us, the new versus used wasn't as big of a deciding factor. It was floorplan. Show me a 2005 DP that can sleep 9 people and have two full baths. It's going to take you a long time to find one if ever.

The top three considerations in my opinion are floorplan, floorplan, floorplan. If you don't like the floorplan, you don't like the MH period.

Remember, driving is only 5-10% of the time spent in a MH. Once parked, they all do basically the same thing.

It's too bad as a society we seem to need to prove our decisions are the best and we have to convince everyone else that our decision should be theirs. We all have different reasons to do the things we do. I hope everyone gets out and enjoys the decision they have made.
You took the words right out of my thoughts. The OP was obviously trying to convince himself and the world that his choice was the right one. It probably is for him. The gas owner has just as many compelling reasons why a DP is not for him. When we had a gasser, my wife shared in the driving on those long days. It was easy to maneuver in town and was like driving a big suburban. Maintenance was less, the investment was less, it got 7-8 mpg, and very little depreciation in two years. Now, I do all the driving. It gets 7 mpg (with higher priced fuel), annual servicing is 3 times higher, and general maintenance is more. We have 9 more feet of living space and four slides. But the campfire still looks the same and the sunsets are no better than the gas Adventurer had. The air suspension only helps on the road which is only 5-10% of our time in the coach. A gas motorhome is the right choice for a lot of happy RVers and a DP is a good fit for the rest of us. Enjoy the lifestyle while you can.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:55 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

The majority of the advantages the OP states pertain to driving but remember, driving is only 5-10% of the time spent in a MH. Once parked, they all do basically the same thing.

Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:45 AM   #21

Purchase the newest model you can afford
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 04:36 PM   #22

Yes
RW Henhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 04:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
* Yes... Towing is easier in a longer wheel base and when the drive vehicle is heavier. Consequently, I can't even feel the tow car behind my 40' diesel. And when towing up a moderately steep grade, a 330HP+ Diesel & tow car will fly by any gas
So, you think the laws of physics were repealed with respect to diesels? A lighter coach with more power will pass a heavier coach with less power climbing. End of story. The type of fuel consumed is irrelevant.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:08 PM   #24

Quote:
...The majority of the advantages the OP states pertain to driving but remember, driving is only 5-10% of the time spent in a MH...
For you, maybe. Not me.

My RVing is about the journey, NOT parking.
RiverBurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:47 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
You took the words right out of my thoughts. The OP was obviously trying to convince himself and the world that his choice was the right one. It probably is for him. The gas owner has just as many compelling reasons why a DP is not for him. When we had a gasser, my wife shared in the driving on those long days. It was easy to maneuver in town and was like driving a big suburban. Maintenance was less, the investment was less, it got 7-8 mpg, and very little depreciation in two years. Now, I do all the driving. It gets 7 mpg (with higher priced fuel), annual servicing is 3 times higher, and general maintenance is more. We have 9 more feet of living space and four slides. But the campfire still looks the same and the sunsets are no better than the gas Adventurer had. The air suspension only helps on the road which is only 5-10% of our time in the coach. A gas motorhome is the right choice for a lot of happy RVers and a DP is a good fit for the rest of us. Enjoy the lifestyle while you can.
Wow...I have read soooooo many of these kinds of threads and used to go back and forth as to which rig I would eventually (when I retire) decide on. Currently have an older gas rig 32' and for the way we use it now, 2 weeks out of the year for our 'big' trip and MANY weekend trips, it works perfectly.

When I think about retiringing and 'perhaps' going FT I think, "Yeah, a 40ish DP would be great!". BUT...it really does boil down to what I can afford and also what I know. I know how to take care of my gas rig to a certain extent, and I have NO CLUE what to do on a DP....it's totally foreign to me. And when I start looking at the numbers and what I'm going to need to live on....a DP just isn't in the cards for us.

Yes, I would LOVE a wonderful, quiet & smooth ride, AND the pride of ownership of a beautiful full bodied paint of a DP (I know you can get that on a gaser), but like Chrasher and others have said, the fire and sunset still looks the same at the end of the day, and as long as I'm doing most of the maintenance myself on the gaser, it should last as long as me.

So yeah...one scenario doesn't fit all situations...and I'm okay with that.
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas

« Water hose | GPS »