Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2022, 09:36 AM   #1

Newmar Engine cover hydraulic piston

I have a 2019 Newmar Ventana DP ordered new and am sole owner. My engine cover hydraulic pistons continually rip out when opening the engine compartment. Is anyone else experiencing this and does anyone have a semi or permanent solution. I have had both sides repaired and replaced about eight times each and they just keep ripping out of the small wood strip covered with fiberglass. After having them repaired I usually get about six openings of the compartment before they rip out again. This is by far the worst engineering design I have ever witnessed.

Thanks
Highflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2022, 09:48 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Are they bolted with nuts or only the big lag screws Newmar loves to use in fiberglass?

When I was boating, the heavy hatches had thick marine plywood glassed under the skin, then through bolted to spread the force. Maybe you tried this. Or maybe the gas struts are too strong or placed wrong which applies too much force and loosens the connections.

I had to through bolt a couple places the Newmar lag screws pulled out of the fiberglass. You are right about the bad engineering design.

This link lets you design a gas strut application and may not help but is interesting. https://www.gasspringsshop.com/gas-spring-calculator/
FloridaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 10:12 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Is the hatch cover covered with? If so with what? Is this a bed hatch?
If you could put a bolt through the hatch it would probably hold better. Something like this https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-3-8...r-Bolt/3722632

My bed storage hatch is HEAVY, maybe due the extra thick foam padding my wife put on. Either way with just the standard struts you still had to lift a lot of weight to get it to go up. I installed an 12 volt actuator which assists the struts, helps alot for both opening and closing. But the bracket that attached the actuator to the bed portion started to tear out, so I put a bolt all the way through it, since it is covered by the mattress it didn't matter.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 07:06 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Since you are the original owner, I would take detailed pictures, a short video, and copies of the repair receipts to show what has been done so far… and then send them to a Newmar for their evaluation. The pound rating of the cylinder, along with its stroke both open and closed are critical. One of my friends found his cylinder was bottoming out just before it reached the final closed position. They went to a different cylinder length that solved his problem.
Bruce Anthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 07:21 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflying View Post
I have a 2019 Newmar Ventana DP ordered new and am sole owner. My engine cover hydraulic pistons continually rip out when opening the engine compartment. Is anyone else experiencing this and does anyone have a semi or permanent solution. I have had both sides repaired and replaced about eight times each and they just keep ripping out of the small wood strip covered with fiberglass. After having them repaired I usually get about six openings of the compartment before they rip out again. This is by far the worst engineering design I have ever witnessed.

Thanks

Some pictures would help to visualize what you are talking about. Ventana is rear radiator, so not sure how your cover opens?
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 07:48 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
This is common and another design/quality issue, like slide motor bolts, that Newmar has simply ignored for several years. I have had the same problem, tried larger screws, different epoxies. Nothing has worked so far. I don't have an area where I could completely remove the hatch to see if I could cut and get a metal plate behind the fiberglass for the screws to anchor in. It's an extremely poor design. Good luck with trying to find a solution
Old 09-04-2022, 07:57 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry, I was thinking the front hatch where the generator is.

I did solve the engine hatch issue by using a multi tool to cut a slot in the fiberglass where the hydraulic arm connects to the hatch. Then I was able to insert a small aluminum plate in the space to give the screws something solid to anchor in. Since doing that have not had the problem redevelop
Old 09-04-2022, 08:21 AM   #8

You’re blocks are stripped out and need to be replaced. If we do the repair without replacing the blocks, we install larger screws in the mounting block and then use heavy duty 2 part panel bond epoxy to secure the strut mount to the block. We will cover the entire mount including the screw heads to prevent from coming loose again. If that doesn’t hold, then the blocks must be replaced. Please reach out to NIRVC service department if you need to schedule an appointment.
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, engine, hydraulic, newmar