RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2017, 02:01 PM   #1

Newmar MADP air brake inversion valve releasing air

Hello;

This maybe a simple question. I have been working on parking brake problem and resolved it or perhaps part of it with a bad hose.

My parking brake button kept popping out and not setting the parking break. I found a brake line in the rear was bad and replaced that and now it appears to be working.

During the troubleshooting, I noticed that while the parking break is released I hear a significant amount of air being released from the inversion valve at a brass covered exhaust port. I put pictures below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image006.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	261.6 KB
ID:	171671

Click image for larger version

Name:	image005.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	171672
mward1nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2017, 02:05 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Newmar MADP air brake inversion valve releasing air

Sounds like you may have a blown diaphragm on brake canister. More specifically the diaphragm for the releasing the spring brake.
I had same symptoms and found this to be the problem last spring.

Edit. I see you are able to release parking brake. Might be the other diaphragm.

Wash your Hands, Wear a Mask, Social Distance
Spk64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:21 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
That valve has a guick release valve made into it. ....
When you apply the parking brake that's where the air exhaust that you hear. If air is leaking there the valve will need replacement.

Generally when a brake chamber diaphragm fails you'll also have a air leak at the back side of the chamber.

It doesn't look to terrible to replace.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:24 PM   #4

Thanks for your reply. I am able to release the parking brakes which would mean the emergency side is good. Is there a way to test if the primary brake side is ok?

Also, this inversion valve is located above the two large tanks under the drives and passengers seats.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:46 PM   #5

@mackwrech Thanks for your help.

On mine, the quick release valve which releases the large burst of air when you set the parking brake is above the rear axle. As mentioned above this what I was told was an inversion valve is located toward the front above what the 3rd smaller tank. That might be called a wet tank. I am not real solid on the air system parts.

I have been watching some video to get a basic understanding

Tags
air, brake, newmar