Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2 Alam.
OP did ask about service on Newmars in CAL area the map shows dealers, so I would have to assume they do service also.
The link will also bring you into the brochures and all coach's built by Newmar plus video's on their type construction.
Gas coach's for both Tiffin & Newmar will be on the new Fords which is a good chassis.
So it only leaves the floor plans and options with your model coach to decide.
After viewing options you may move into a Canyon Star which has more and better choices for close to same money and same chassis.
If everyone will stick to the subject asked of OP and not the back and forth remarks it would help the OP better, thank you all.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alam View Post
My husband and I have been in a "research mode" and have been going around kicking tires. We have narrowed our search down to two. Newmar and Tiffin. In Newmar we like floor plan of Bay Star 3308. In Tiffin, we like the quality, heavier chassis, of Allegro Open Road 34 TGA. We have to driven any yet.

My only concern with Newmar is that it does not have a big presence in the West. Where do you get your warrenty work done?

Please feel free to give us your opinion of both. Which is a better ride, better built, more reliable?

Thank you everyone.

Alam
Alam, We looked at the Newmar and Tiffin both the Bay Star and Tiffin TGA. We went with the Tiffin as the Floor Plan and inside looked like a high end Coach. We have a 2012 and had two things that needed to be fixed. Tiffin had Lazydays fix the one at no charge. We are on the road now and had a problem with our door Lock and Tiffin Sent us a new lock to Island Park, Idaho and Last but Not Least. Mr Bob Tiffin Called to see what happend and Make sure we were taken Care Of. I say That is Customer Service.
Tractor16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #17

Which one has the longest wheel base. This has a lot to do with how well it handles on the road; longer wheelbases (less over hang) usually means better handling. The heavier chassis is also going to be a plus as far as handling. Do both come with installed rear trac bar? Again a big handling plus.
Both are good coaches, from what I read on the many forums, but I think Tiffin has the edge on customer service. Not that I'd be biased or anything.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #18

Thank you everyone for your input.

Tiffin had longer wheelbase and heavier chassis. But I like the floor plan of Newmar. The closest Newmar dealer is about 60 miles from where we live. The dealer had no service department and only 5 new Newmars. 1 Toyhauler, 1 DP and 3 Bay Stars. We wanted to see a Canyon Star but none were available. We have 1 Tiffin dealer with 3 locations within about 100 mile radius from us. We are concerned about service after the sale. Last weekend we drove about 350 miles to another Newmar dealer. Same story. 4 Bay Stars, a couple of DPs and no Canyon Star.

I have not seen any Newmar on the road or in campgrounds but saw several Tiffins. Yes, we drove through several campgrounds to see what was out there. Not a single Newmar. I guess out here in the rural area called Los Angeles, Newmar has an unnoticeable presence.

I still have about 6 months to do my research before I place an order.
Alam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:54 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Not a single Newmar. I guess out here in the rural area called Los Angeles, Newmar has an unnoticeable presence.
On the west coast Newmars are few and far between only because there are fewer dealers and Newmar tightly controls who can sell them. Even then only select ones can sell the King Air or Essex.
We belonged to a local RV club, 12 Type A MH's, one a Prevost, one Foretravel (my parents rig) and 6 Newmars.
One other thing is that Newmar doesn't produce a MH on speculation. All they produce are paid for by the dealer before they're delivered. That means the dealer can't afford to keep a bunch sitting on the lot.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:40 AM   #20

I was in the same boat as you only we we're looking for a diesel 3yrs. ago. I settled on a Newmar, but it could of easily been a Tiffin if we had found the same deal we got on the Newmar. The one concern we had about Tiffin was all the post's about Red Bay, Al. where they're built. It seemed to me an awful lot of owners were complaining about how crowded it was there with coach's getting repaired. Something I never saw about Napanee where the Newmar is built. That being said I probably would still have gone with a Tiffin if it wasn't for the deal on my Newmar.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:47 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Dear Jack R,
You asked about the incorrect information in your post. Your post read: "Tiffin is fixing the problem free of charge and is not hiding like Newmar did a few months ago with the lady from flordia who made a post about all the water leaking in her brand new coach. Dealer wouldn't help her and Newmar wouldn't help her until she got a newspaper reporter from the local newspaper who went on the offensive with Newmar. With all the bad press Newmar was getting they finally gave her her money back. Now try to answer honestly who gives the best support after the sale, Newmar or Tiffin??"

The truth is Newmar was well on the way to solve the customers problem before the media got involved. The decisions had been made and the parties involved were working through the process to complete the transaction. The media blip was a tie for being old news. Both Newmar and Tiffin go above and beyond to help each and every customer. If you believe what you read, as gospel, I feel sorry for you.

I'm sure both of us can site examples of where each company could have done better. There are usually more than two sides to every story.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:01 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

OK, kids, let's lay off the personal digs and stick with the original question. And we don't want any Entegra-Newmar-Tiffin wars here either.

We all have our favorites and our reasons for choosing one over the other, so lets keep it civil, OK?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:05 AM   #23

I would say that both are excellent an pick up the one DW likes the most.
As a last resort I would pick up the best dealer in my area.
And dont worry, both of them have flaws.....
laurier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #24

Everyone,

I think I opened a can of worms here. I greatly appreciate everyone's input in this matter. I asked for personal opinions and that is what was posted here. DW (me) likes the Tiffin, DH likes the Newmar, so based on consensus here of "get the one DW likes" DW (I) win.

We will continue to go around and "kick the tires".
Alam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #25

Quote:
... DW (me) likes the Tiffin, DH likes the Newmar, so based on consensus here of "get the one DW likes" DW (I) win.

We will continue to go around and "kick the tires".
LOL!

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:01 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
OK, kids, let's lay off the personal digs and stick with the original question. And we don't want any Entegra-Newmar-Tiffin wars here either.

We all have our favorites and our reasons for choosing one over the other, so lets keep it civil, OK?
having spent a lot of time on a Forum that was not anything to do Rv,s I appreciate the job the moderators do of keeping the posts on topic and keeping it from getting personal. I have had a couple of times where my posts were deleted and a polite note from the moderator telling me I needed to stay on topic but the notes were polite and my comments were not what they should have been. Your work makes this a more enjoyable forum.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
We ordered a Tiffin Phaeton and were there in Red Bay for the build in May 2009. We love our coach, but when it comes time for "coach 2" in another year or two we will definitely consider Newmar as well as Entegra.

None of these brands have much of a west coast presence but all are great RV's... go with the floorplan, storage and amenities that fit your personal lifestyle & you can't go wrong.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:44 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
On the west coast Newmars are few and far between only because there are fewer dealers and Newmar tightly controls who can sell them. Even then only select ones can sell the King Air or Essex.
We belonged to a local RV club, 12 Type A MH's, one a Prevost, one Foretravel (my parents rig) and 6 Newmars.
One other thing is that Newmar doesn't produce a MH on speculation. All they produce are paid for by the dealer before they're delivered. That means the dealer can't afford to keep a bunch sitting on the lot.
According to what I was told when I visited the tiffin plant this year they also do not do MH on speculation. According to our guide every motor home they built has been ordered. I do not see any difference between the two companies based on that criterion.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, tiffin